PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In my slow cooker today.... part 2

Options

Comments

• Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing in mine, except for cold turkey soup I finally got around to cooking overnight.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Did a ham yesterday, soaked the gammon overnight, two cups of dark sugar in the slow cooker, and on all day at LOW.
    Bootiful, but lots of sugar/fat mixture left, can't give it to birds, can it be frozen until ????
  • Kelly_H
    Options
    Can i ask....does it save money to cook using a slow cooker rather than the oven? As it uses electricity for a long time i'm a little confused???
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Ive mince carots onion garlic and stock in mine, so mince dinner for tea, then shepards pie tom from the rest.
    :A :j
  • Lilium
    Lilium Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've got veggie soup in mine...my first attempt at cooking something with it. Hope it turns out ok. My house is smelling good though! Wish I had a breadmaker now too, that would smell amazing...but no room for more kitchen gizmos so a trip to Tescos for me later to get a fresh loaf.
  • Sublime_2
    Options
    Kelly_H wrote: »
    Can i ask....does it save money to cook using a slow cooker rather than the oven? As it uses electricity for a long time i'm a little confused???

This is a question that has had much debate. It depends on your slow cooker, what energy setting, and for how long you are cooking for.

Personally, slow cooking has been very ecomical, as its a pleasure, and very simple to cook delicious home made meals with one. There is little evaporation, so for making stock with leftover bones is superb.

Its so much easier, and economical to cook at home, that for me slow cooking is a necessity. I love delicious food, but hate loads of preparation, so SC for me is perfect.
  • sometimesaver
    Options
    I've got a whole chicken in mine with onions garlic and a glass of wine. Done lots of casseroles but first time for a chicken. I was thinking 6 hours on high. Will that cook it properly? Don't want to poison my missus and the kids!
  • gettingthereslowly
    Options
    beef in ale in mine today - was so stunning last week hubby has requested it for this week again :D

Browned beef first and put on top of onion, carrot and swede with beef in ale mix (I know that I could have used stck but using up mixes in cupboard)

Going to serve with potatoes, cauli and brocoli tonight, rest with chips hopefully on sat afternoon if it lasts that long not eaten :rolleyes:

Loving reading everyones SC recipes and ingredients - really giving me inspiration for what to do in it so THANK YOU ALL xxxxx:j:j:beer:
  • Sublime_2
    Options
    I've got a whole chicken in mine with onions garlic and a glass of wine. Done lots of casseroles but first time for a chicken. I was thinking 6 hours on high. Will that cook it properly? Don't want to poison my missus and the kids!

It will be cooked perfectly. I do similar with whole chicken frequently, and am now loathe to cook in the conventional oven.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kelly_H wrote: »

when I was debating whether to get a sc I had a look into this on tinternet and the general consensus was that it used less electric than a normal lightbulb being left on all day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure