PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In my slow cooker today.... part 2

Options

Comments

• nuttyrockeress
    Options
    Sausage Casserole for us tonight. I have added some lentils for the first time. I put these in last night as I didn't think I would have time to do it this morning before i left for work..... Will this be ok as I have never used or eaten them before :confused:

Little did I know that when I got out of the house to go to work this morning that there would be sheet ice on our hilly street and that I would fall over hurting my back and bruising my leg :o
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got saus casserole as well, i always add assorted pulses, thistime i've put Tofu in as well, so will find out later on if it works.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Erosgirl
    Erosgirl Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quote: Little did I know that when I got out of the house to go to work this morning that there would be sheet ice on our hilly street and that I would fall over hurting my back and bruising my leg.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope it's not too bad. Enjoy your sc meal. Lovely comfort food. Sounds like you will need it.
  • nuttyrockeress
    Options
    Thanks Erosgirl. I'm ok just more pride hurt I think than anything. I sat in the car and had a few tears then wound down my window to people all over the street shouting don't drive down it's sheet black ice it's really dangerous people have bumped already - it was a case of I wish you'd of told me that before i got on the road :)

I called work and put in a holiday - much to the dismay of my manager but i'm not prepared to risk it with the reports locally of accidents etc.

I have only recently started looking on this thread but will continue to do so - I love my SC but am pretty stiff with the things I cook in it so hopefully your ideas will give me more inspiration.
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • dreamywings1
    Options
    in my SC today i have

pork and sage sausages
    1 sliced onion
    1 sliced red pepper
    mushrooms
    1 tin tomoatoes
    1 tin water
    tomato puree
    garlic
    red chilli
    mustard seeds
    nutmeg

will let you know what its like later lol im going to serve it with yorkies
    total debt at LBM £4800
    Debt as of Mar 2016 £1790 Hope to be debt free July 2016:eek:
    Sealed pot challenge number 552
  • poolygal
    poolygal Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Well, hopefully in my slow cooker tomorrow (or maybe the next day) will be barbecue beef. Recipe taken from a cheap slow cooker recipe book I've found. Sauce doesn't feature any stock, just cold ingredients - vinegar, tomato ketchup and the like, not a lot of liquid. Recommends cooking on low for 7-10 hours, and no browning of the meat required. I normally leave the house at 7.30am, returning at 6.30pm at the earliest, which is too long to leave on if I switch on before I leave. I still have the new slow cooker owner fear of burning the house down while at work. Could I put all the ingredients in the cooker, attach a timer plug to switch on at say, 11am, and still have both an edible dinner and a standing house? In this weather, I'm sure the meat would stay fresh in the cooker before it switches on. My kitchen isn't heated anyway, many things in tins and packets are currently coming out slightly chilled!

Also, could I do this with poultry or is the risk of poisoning too high?
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Pauls wrote: »
    Got myself a pound of diced venison from the local farm shop (it was reduced, and I couldn't resist). Anyone have any recommendations on what to do with it ??

Probably a bit late now, but I love venison with red wine, bacon, onion, garlic, touch of allspice, rosemary, and black pepper.

I wish I had some now.
  • deborah64
    deborah64 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    I have used my sc for the 1st time today after having it for a few years, i have been using it as a bread bin.
    Yesterday i decided to dust it off and have done a beef and red wine stew, was worried about leaving it all day while at work, but i came home and as i walked up the path i was greeted by a lovely smell.
    It looks and smells delish, can't wait for tea now, am going to trawl through the site and find more yummy recipes.
    I can say that i LOVE my slow cooker :j
  • Fluffy30
    Fluffy30 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Like a few on here i got a slow cooker and like the other kitchen items such as the George Foreman Grill before, used twice, put in the cupboard. Having been inspired by this site I got it out washed and ready for action!

In last week have done roast chicken and beef chilli (Beef Chilli was a learning curve :o) but last night I put in.....

The following Gill McKeith Beans from Home Bargins at 19p a tin one tin of each;
    Akudi
    Harricott
    Canallini
    Black Beans
    Mung

Also
    1x Tin Red kidney beans
    2x Tin Value Plum Tomatoes
    1x Tin Value Chop Tom
    1/2 tube Aldi tom puree
    Ground spice mix of;
    Chilli powder normal
    Chilli powder hot
    Coriander
    Caynee pepper
    oregano
    basil
    garlic paste
    Garm marsala
    Ginger
    Chilli Flakes

Also
    Juice of 2 lemons (From 90% off reduced bag)
    2x Chopped carrots
    2x Chopped white onions (Aldi special this week)

Cooked over night and put some in food flask for lunch at work with some crusty bread. Rest in fridge or freezer.

Worked out at 50p a serving (as I like large serving :P) and tastes lush!

:)
    Loan1 [STRIKE]£11854.3[/STRIKE] £11420.62 CCard [STRIKE]£5770.52[/STRIKE] £5546.03 Loan2 £4383.90 LoanUncle £1500 LoanMum £1000 LoanDad £630 Supplier2 [STRIKE]£524.35[/STRIKE] £224.35 Supplier1 [STRIKE]£1092.7[/STRIKE] £700 Rent Arrers [STRIKE]£1775[/STRIKE] £1675
    £27361.82 :eek: Ill get there....somehow!!
    10K in 2010 £2068.38/£10 000 20% there.
  • Pauls
    Pauls Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Sublime wrote: »
    Probably a bit late now, but I love venison with red wine, bacon, onion, garlic, touch of allspice, rosemary, and black pepper.

I wish I had some now.

Not too late at all, I had to freeze it as I'd already started the SC up with enough beef casserole to last 2 days before I went to the farm shop :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure