PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In my slow cooker today.... part 2

Options

Comments

• pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    should read further up the last page before I post sorry :o
    will post on here from now on :)
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought some marmalade oranges cheap today, so I'm going to have a go at marmalade tomorrow. Not tried this before so hopefully will turn out well.
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    After reading this thread and thinking a LOT I've decided the first meal I will make in my slow cooker (:j) will be a sausage curry with lots of veg :beer:

I know this may be a bit of a daft question but do I cook it on the low or high heat?
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • wheeziAnna
    Options
    Yesterday made an old fashioned steam pudiding in our cook pot tasted fantastic the recipe was in the book which came with the cook pot about 30 years ago.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it was fresh chicken

I would freeze it once it's cooked, southernguy, and then you will have an extra portion for another day.

I always tend to make two meals out of what goes in the slow cooker.

Once it's frozen, make sure you defrost thoroughly before reheating. Personally, I would reheat in the SC, but reheating in the oven is fine too :)

Also, make sure the reheated portion is piping hot before serving.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71
    Options
    Sequeena wrote: »
    I know this may be a bit of a daft question but do I cook it on the low or high heat?

Depends when you put it on and when you want to eat really, Sequeena.

If we go out for the day, I put mine on low, but if we're in it goes on high and I don't put the sc on so early. I have a keep warm option on mine, so if the food is cooked but we're not ready to eat, I then change the setting to keep warm.

It's trial and error, really :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71
    Options
    I have porridge bubbling away nicely in my sc right now.

DD asked for porridge and strawberries for breakfast this morning. No idea what time she will get up though.

I will be making soup in it later this afternoon, ready for tomorrow's lunch :)
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm ashamed to say my slow cooker has mostly been gathering dust since I bought it. I've been really inspired by all your posts though so am going to dig it out from the back of the cupboard & start using it :)
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Depends when you put it on and when you want to eat really, Sequeena.

If we go out for the day, I put mine on low, but if we're in it goes on high and I don't put the sc on so early. I have a keep warm option on mine, so if the food is cooked but we're not ready to eat, I then change the setting to keep warm.

It's trial and error, really :)

Thank you :) Just had a look at mine and it also has a keep warm option.

I hope it goes well lol I'm trying to cut down on using my massive electric cooker!
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine has the juices from yesterday's pot roast beef, red wine, balsalmic vinegar, parsley, smoked paprika, seasoning, carrots, celery, swede, peppers and tomatoes with some cornflour to thicken, all cooked together as a beef and veg soup

Looking forward to this for lunch with crusty bread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport