We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: British Gas cuts standard gas prices

Options

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    britshgasemployee

"I personally dont care what anyone has to say about british gas as i know as a company we are leading the way and changing for the future."

Why post and defend them then.
  • CharlieBilly
    Options
    LOL British Gas must be working over time get its employees on here to defend them. I count 3 today on this thread alone.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I am a British Gas employee and have been with the company for a while now. what these money saving websites and price comparisons dont mention are the other programes or schemes british gas have:-

last year british gas took a ten percent average of the electric and done the same for the gas. they were offering a six percent discount off both fuels untill january 31st 2011 so people who signed up for that will be getting that discount off the 7 percent reduction that happened yesterday. with the seven percent discount british gas are not locking customers in so the customer has the freedom to chop and change whenver they want. if you pay by direct debit the discount for gas is upto £65 and the electric is upto £40. for having both fuels you will recieve a discount of upto £15. there is no standing charges and the vat is also included. if a customer is willing to submit their reading every month british gas will reward you with £40 credit after one year and give you a wireless energy monitor that will track the homes energy showing you minute by minute how much you are spending on the appliances, which can save you upto £110 per year. they also give you a stand by saver which cuts the tv saving upto £35 per year. they have an energy savings programme where if you take part in that they will aim to reduce your bill by one third by taking part in that. they are investing ONE BILLION pounds back into the british economy every year for ten years to find renewable sources. they have the worlds biggest windfarm already in the north sea and ben foggle is leading a campaign called green streets where we encourage streets to take part in our campaign and we reward them by doing so. So yeah fair enough british gas was the most expensive company in britain for many a year but not any more. you all moan about how expensive the prices were but as soon as we offer you the cheapest electric and gas anywhere in britain you all think its still doom and gloom still! we want to get the customers back on board and by doing so we have to give you a deal thats going to make you want to come back. I personally dont care what anyone has to say about british gas as i know as a company we are leading the way and changing for the future.

So can you explain why BG droped the price of Gas on Websaver 6 but put the price of electricity up?

Also, pretty much all of what you wrote apart from the stuff about "Ben Foggle" IS mentioned on the price comparison sites (obviously working for BG you are programmed to rubbish them as part of your job)
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    britshgasemployee

"I personally dont care what anyone has to say about british gas as i know as a company we are leading the way and changing for the future."

Why post and defend them then.

Yeah, spoke like a true BG employee "I dont care what anyone says"

You think he was on the BBC this morning/afternoon?

If so he'll post again later saying "I dont care what a few people say" lol
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    Options
    LOL I dont care but I sign up n a forum and go to that trouble and defend my employer. May as well be a BG employee thread. Shame other utilities help customers not one BG rep on MSE but dont mind defending them though

I dont care what BG employees say ;)
  • kippen_noedel
    Options
    I am at a loss to reply to your silly - IMO - post

so what is what I can say about much of what you say there,

so what they use Ben Fogle, UW use French & Saunders, but I wouldn't touch UW with a bargepoll but I love French & Saunders.

so what they are investing money, it's money paid by customers,

so what they have a big windfarm offshore, come back when they have enough to generate sufficient capacity to stop their investment in Nuclear programmes.

so what they made a price reduction twice in the past year, prices are still an average 13% (gas) more than 18 months ago but wholesale prices have come down lower than than 18 months ago.

Now I hope you enjoy the sunshine for the next couple of weeks until the AGM when the profits will be announced. Come back then and defend those.
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Options
    I think what they are trying to say is the 6 % discount tracker would be a great deal right now....

and that BG are putting money into investments ect ect.

at the end of the day bills are still to high with any supplier
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • kippen_noedel
    Options
    I think what they are trying to say is the 6 % discount tracker would be a great deal right now....

and that BG are putting money into investments ect ect.

at the end of the day bills are still to high with any supplier
    great, where do existing customers sign up ??

BG are are putting profits from customers into investment, not as bad as paying shareholders but they and you shouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about that.

bills are still high with any supplier as you say, but please feel free to come back and discuss after the AGM whether the profits are acceptable in this current economic climate. If I'd known the winter would've been as bad as it was, I would certainly have bought shares in Centrica for a few weeks if a dividend was due.. if, if, if,

PS I am actually a BG customer but on a fixed price below any of the current offerings on the market. I don't have any particular axe to grind with the company per.se, however, I hate marketing BS from any company. This announcement is timed as such, no doubt with another to follow in a few weeks on electric. At least the current CEO has a business brain as he showed last year.

when will any of the energy companies stand up to the government and demand a reduction in taxes on domestic fuel. BG as the market leader should take the first move. Until then, less rhetoric and show us some action.

ramble over..
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    Options
    I just checked my tariff for Click Energy 6 with Energy Smart and it hasn't changed.:mad:
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    hansi wrote: »
    I just checked my tariff for Click Energy 6 with Energy Smart and it hasn't changed.:mad:
    I'm on click 6 too. Very ambiguous on the website saying we'll be paying less for our gas from the 4th February. No mention of how much less but i digress.....

All energy companies take the pi55 on pricing but what do you do? Either pay up or shut up. The only true way these days to ensure lower bills is to just use less of the stuff in the first place.......
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family