We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: British Gas cuts standard gas prices

Options

Comments

• PeterDuckett
    Options
    Rip off

As today it looks like they have put up the tier 1 prices on their web saver tariffs

Prices i quote include vat single credit meter and east midlands

Gas
    Websaver 4 || Websaver 5 || Websaver 6
    0.06357 || 0.05816 || 0.06533
    0.03041 || 0.02783 || 0.02555

Electric
    Websaver 4 || Websaver 5 || Websaver 6
    0.21138 || 0.1934 || 0.22466
    0.09173 || 0.08393 || 0.0818

I should have signed up for websaver 5 How can websaver 6 be their cheapest on-line tariff

So the people on the bottom of the chain get screwed again
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    cons wrote: »
    where do us online tarriff customers stand

as far as i can see there is no change in our prices

but on the website it clearly states

British Gas today and receive a minimum 6% discount against our Standard tariff rates until 28th February 2011

Many of the existing on-line tariff customers were getting a much larger discount than 6%.

So whilst you will be guaranteed to be 6% less than standard tariff, as standard rate has dropped by 7% if you were getting 13% or more less than standard tariff, you are not 'entitled' to an reduction.

It seem all of the companies have adopted this practice - on-line tariffs initially way below their standard tariff, but with a guarantee to only be a small percentage below their standard tariff.
  • PeterDuckett
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Many of the existing on-line tariff customers were getting a much larger discount than 6%.

So whilst you will be guaranteed to be 6% less than standard tariff, as standard rate has dropped by 7% if you were getting 13% or more less than standard tariff, you are not 'entitled' to an reduction.

I see where you are going with but to actually increase prices on the first tier in time for summer where allot of people might not get into tier 2 seems a way of proping up their profits
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 February 2010 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Rip off

As today it looks like they have put up the tier 1 prices on their web saver tariffs

[...]

I should have signed up for websaver 5 How can websaver 6 be their cheapest on-line tariff

So the people on the bottom of the chain get screwed again

I presume you mean users with a low consumption? If your tariff has been revamped then you are free to reject the new price and continue to pay the old price (for a short while) whilst you try to find a better price from an alternative supplier. Good luck with that.

It is not a rip-off to try to structure tariffs so that everyone pays a reasonable contribution. Frustrating, maybe, but not untoward. You may prefer when 90% of their customers are subsidising you - did you object to the injustice when you were the screwer or is it just now that you are the screwee that you think a rip-off is occurring?

(And, of course, if your consumption is so low that the tier 1 rate matters that much you could receive your gas and electricity for free.)
  • PeterDuckett
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    (And, of course, if your consumption is so low that the tier 1 rate matters that much you could receive your gas and electricity for free.)

And how much gas do you use in summer if you havn't got a combi
    I pretty certain that British gas won't run any tariffs at a lose that is not good business, In fact i have to do some of the work for them meter reads paperless billing to which i'm happy for so fail to see why other will be supporting my tariff Im getting a discount to hold my side of the bargain which saves them money too
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So why not switch to Ebico?
  • uSwitch_company_representative
    uSwitch_company_representative Posts: 140 Organisation Representative
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    When will the new rates be available on comparison sites?
    I see the new Websaver 6 is their cheapest tariff now but uswitch and energyhelpline hav'nt updated yet.

Hi penrhyn,

We now have WebSaver 6 up on uSwitch.

Thanks,
    Erika - uSwitch
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of uSwitch. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    It makes sense for those of us with online accounts to input our meter readings today, does it not?

So we begin to be charged for gas consumption from our readings provided today, at the new, lower rate for gas.
    2010 Posts: 5,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi penrhyn,

We now have WebSaver 6 up on uSwitch.

Thanks,
    Erika - uSwitch

Would be helpful if you quoted the WS6 prices here.
  • Former_MSE_Guy
    Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 4 February 2010 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Hi folks,

Online British Gas gas prices ARE falling, but not all by the full 7%, though a few are unchanged. JennyR68's post above sums the changes up nicely (thanks!).

Unfortunately, we were given incorrect info by British Gas first thing this morning as it said the cuts ONLY applied to standard tariffs and that the cost of online deals would remain unchanged.

Therefore, we've also tweaked the news story to reflect this.

British Gas has apologised for the error.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure