We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 9

1…427428430432433…1193

Comments

  • karen1907
    karen1907 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Karen - not much useful to add, other than reassurance that it does get easier! Izzy is a year next week, and still loving BF. It is very draining in the first few months though. As the others have said, don't forget to eat. Could you maybe get DH to make you a packed lunch the night before? The other thing is that it really does make a difference if you can get out every day for some fresh air - it helps break the day up a bit, and a bit of (gentle) exercise does wonders for your mood. I really notice on the days I don't go out I get a bit frustrated with Izzy at times, but when we get out and about I am much more laid back! Maybe you could walk to the shop before lunch and get a ready meal once in a while? Not perfect nutrion but better than nothing!

    Oh, and have you tried feeding lying down in your bed of an afternoon so you can both have a nap together?

    Wow, that's quite a lot of suggestions for someone who didn't have any. You do what works for you anyway :)

    OH used to make me some sandwiches when he made his in the morning but has stopped now. I generally try and make them if she sleeps in the morning. Managed beans on toast this lunchtime! We wandered round the garden earlier and walked to the post box afterwards which seems to have worked cause she has been sleeping pretty muuch ever since!! Just woke her up to feed about 3.30. Now she is back asleep.

    I might try the feeding in the afternoon in bed cause I find at night she wakes up feeds and goes back to sleep pretty easily usually.
    Can't help with the recipe, I bought Tesco Flapjacks. They do a pack of five and each finger is individually wrapped. I kept a stash by the sofa.

    A few questions - are you using a feeding cushion? Do you have a laptop or netbook nearby?

    Have you tried Breast Compressions?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compression.html

    It can be really hard when you are stuck feeding all day long. Does it hurt when you feed at all? Are you using nipple shields? When do you change sides?

    I might try keeping a stash nearby. then I don't have to remember to pick them up.

    Feeding hasn't hurt since about week 2 when I started going to BFing group. I don't usually use a cushion but might start again cause it frees my arms for typing :D don' use nipple shields and usually change sides after at least half an hour or if she seems to stop feeding properly on one and i take her off and she starts crying then i try the other just in case it had run out (but I was told to keep on one breast at least 20 mins at Booby group).
    Tegan Lily arrived 4 November 2009 (3 days late)

    Floyd Peter arrived 9th July 2011 (1 day early) :D
  • feelinggood_2
    feelinggood_2 Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    Hi, Feelie,no problem - what do you want to know? The not so very short story is that I was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago and after a couple of ops, chemotherapy & radiotherapy was told that children were not going to be possible. They were wrong! When I found out I was pregnant I decided I really wanted to breast feed - both for his benefit and for the health benefits for me too but I knew that the treated breast wouldn't be able to produce milk but I worked on the theory that you can breastfeed twins so I wold be able to breastfeed 1 baby with 1 breast. I didn't factor in the possibility of LO not latching on when born though.... he was initially cup fed but it was way too consuming so I switched to bottles but kept persevering with trying breast and expressing too. He is now almost completely breast fed and I am really proud of myself for getting this far :o

    Very interesting! Can I ask about the transition from formula to almost completely breastfed? Did you have to pump a lot to increase supply, or did LO do it himself? Did you ever find out why he wouldn't latch? How long did it take him to latch?

    Don't know if you know my story, my LO couldn't latch at birth, and I had to express for 8.5 weeks until he learnt how!

    I agree about cup feeding, it was just so messy, and I got so upset at seeing my milk running down his chin instead of into his belly!

    You are right to be proud, that is an amazing story!
    Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    He is now almost completely breast fed and I am really proud of myself for getting this far :o

    I'm really impressed and proud of you too :)

    :hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • karen1907
    karen1907 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Wow hammyhunter well done you. Puts my problems into perspective!!! :D
    Tegan Lily arrived 4 November 2009 (3 days late)

    Floyd Peter arrived 9th July 2011 (1 day early) :D
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Gorgeous photo of andrew Tigs!

    Karen- nothing to add to help, as I had probs with Kian latching so went to EBM and then had to FF cos of my medication. but these ladies have said evrything i would have

    Hammy- wow what a success and steely determination

    can i ask how long can you use a bumbo for?
    is it like a bouncy chair that its up to 6 months??
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • karen1907
    karen1907 Posts: 486 Forumite
    what's EBM?
    Tegan Lily arrived 4 November 2009 (3 days late)

    Floyd Peter arrived 9th July 2011 (1 day early) :D
  • Wow Hammy, what a story!

    Jillie, we used a bebe pod (like a bumbo but cheaper), and I think they are suitable until baby can escape or their bums no longer fit. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong though. Izzy got to a point where suddenly she was no longer comfortable in hers, and got straight out again, so now we have a little table and chairs from Ikea - I'm not sure exactly when we got it, probably beginning of November, so since she was just short of 10 months.
    :heart:Isabella Molly born 14th January 2009:heart:
    New challenge for 2011 - saving up vouchers to pay for Chistmas!
    Amazon £48.61 Luncheon Vouchers £24
  • karen1907 wrote: »
    what's EBM?

    [strike]electronic beat music[/strike] expressed breast milk :)
    :heart:Isabella Molly born 14th January 2009:heart:
    New challenge for 2011 - saving up vouchers to pay for Chistmas!
    Amazon £48.61 Luncheon Vouchers £24
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    jillie1974 wrote: »
    can i ask how long can you use a bumbo for?
    is it like a bouncy chair that its up to 6 months??

    jillie, fergie sometimes goes in his still (chubby thighs notwithstanding :) and he's 10 months. I find it useful for feeds in the day if my back is painful and our highchair is quite hard to manoevre him out of somedays.

    As AF pointed out earlier, after a certain age they can do powerful backwards lunges and topple over, so we put ours against the wall.

    HTH :)


    HTH

    :hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    Just in case anybody doesn't know me very well, the comment about going to the pub before I picked the baby up was a joke...


    ...I always take the baby to the pub with me :D

    You'd love Bavaria - it's totally normal here and many pubs have children's play areas inside and outside.

    The first trip outside Molly made was for a checkup. The second, third and fourth were to beergardens :rotfl:

    I would now like you all to drop everything and click here, then feel very envious of me.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.