MSE News: Ryanair to charge for Visa Electron bookings

Options

Comments

• madkitty
    Options
    I booked three flights with mine this morning no problems. The only problem was that I had to wait until this morning! I found the flights last night, topped up the card using my debit card and then got a message saying the funds would be available "within the next few hours"!!! It wasn't until 08:22 this morning I was notified the funds were available. Luckily the flights had not increased in price in the meantime, but this was inferior to NET+ card from Neteller (which I use for flights billed in Euro) which tops up instantly by debit card.

I ordered a neteller card today literally because of that reason! I think FairFX are great but it does need to be instant transfer
    2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    madkitty wrote: »
    I ordered a neteller card today literally because of that reason! I think FairFX are great but it does need to be instant transfer

The last time I topped up my Fairfx card online by debit card it was done in less than an hour.
    Approx 2pm,showing in Fairfx at 3pm.
  • lousi
    lousi Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi

I'm looking for some help. I'm trying to book some flights with Ryanair using my Fairfx Card (this is the first time I've used it) but it is being continually declined. I have tried numerous times yesterday and today.

The flights value is £119.96 and I have £120 credit on my Fairfx Card. Does anyone know if this is the problem, does there need to be more headroom?

I've emailed Fairfx but have not yet had a response. I can't find a telephone number for them so if anyone has one that would be useful. I've considered calling Ryanair but I'm reluctant to do so due to their call charges.

Has anyone else experienced this and can suggest how I can resolve this?

Thanks
  • madkitty
    madkitty Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    I made the same mistake as you - youre forgetting the 1.5% they charge on top so you need to have £121.76 on the card...I kept trying for hours the other day and then realised LOL

Also for future ref their number is 020 7778 9300
  • lousi
    lousi Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    madkitty wrote: »
    I made the same mistake as you - youre forgetting the 1.5% they charge on top so you need to have £121.76 on the card...I kept trying for hours the other day and then realised LOL

Also for future ref their number is 020 7778 9300

Thank you so much for your fast response. I'll try that now.....
  • MeanExpat
    MeanExpat Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Neteller card or Fair FX card

Has anyone booked flights in euros?
    Say, how much would a 14.99 euros flight cost me in sterling?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get Euro pre-paid cards.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Lehman
    Lehman Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    With Neteller it would cost you, 13.38 quid. Booked with Neteller a sterling denominated item and fx rate was 1.12 euro per 1 pound.
    MeanExpat wrote: »
    Neteller card or Fair FX card

Has anyone booked flights in euros?
    Say, how much would a 14.99 euros flight cost me in sterling?
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone give me a straight answer as to the cheapest prepaid card to avoid Ryanair fees? If it makes a difference I'm going to be spending getting on for £1000 on about 8 people's flights...
    thanks.
    2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a straight answer as to the cheapest prepaid card to avoid Ryanair fees? If it makes a difference I'm going to be spending getting on for £1000 on about 8 people's flights...
    thanks.

Using Fairfx it would cost you £15 for spending £1,000 (1.5%)

It`s simple to get and can also be used all over the UK,not just RA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure