MSE News: Ryanair to charge for Visa Electron bookings

Options

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I flew with RA to Dublin return last year it only cost me 2p TOTAL.

Looks like you`ve been done.
  • Lehman
    Lehman Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    To Porto, per person it was about 30 euros per person return, had to check in bags. Thanks to Neteller could avoid the fees, otherwise, the advertised Ryanair ticket spiked to three times the price. Amazing how Ryanair misleads people. In this particular case the next best available flight on the same dates to Porto was EUR 250 per person.
  • angelwoman1979
    Options
    fairfx is the best card.They only charge 1.5 percent for transactions and no charge to load money via debit card.
    2010 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fairfx is the best card.They only charge 1.5 percent for transactions and no charge to load money via debit card.

I entirely agree and if you got one through Topcashback site they actually paid YOU £7-50 for applying for it. :T
  • Lehman
    Options

FYI, Neteller does not even charge the 1.5 pct transaction cost and can also be loaded for free. Maybe Fairfx is not afterall the best card for Ryanair?
  • ballyboley
    Options
    Having researched this again myself, I have to agree - the neteller one is a better deal. I signed up from the homepage, applied for the one in the post (online virtual one doens't work on Ryanair yet) and provided you do the transfer in via your online banking to an account number/sortcode (mine took 24hrs) then there was no charge to sign up, charge up or use the card. Much better deal - perhaps the article could be changed to reflect this?
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    I entirely agree and if you got one through Topcashback site they actually paid YOU £7-50 for applying for it. :T

I did that. Ryanair rejected the card on two occasions however two separate mornings, but I tried again each evening and it then worked (unfortunately the flights had gone up by £5 so that was annoying). I doubt the problem was with the FairFX card though, as they replied to my email to say the account is fine and there was plenty of money in it.
  • Lehman
    Options
    Thanks, blueplatinum. I have looked into FairFX, but since I am residing outside the UK, I cannot get it. I compared the fees.
  • deegee999
    Options
    Caxton FX card is free, the £10 deposit they take is added to your balance, charge of £1.50 to book with ryanair. Not free but better than twenty quid. free withdrawals at atms abroad to,
    http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/
  • cactusdust
    Options
    I personally use the Phones4U Escape Card. Its £9.99 one off, and free to use over transactions.

Surely the better deal if you're being charged £1.50 by the issuer per flight.. but then again, I do fly a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure