We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The SayNoTo0870 Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote:
    Don't forget it was also mentioned in the Daily Mail, The Sun and a BBC Video.
    Were the BBC article on the main BBC news programmes on BBC One?

PS At present the forum is down and the site is slow.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    DonnyDave wrote:
    Were the BBC article on the main BBC news programmes on BBC One?
    Not sure, I read it from this thread posted by Hurrah so therefore can't be certain if it was just a video news available on their site for viewing or it was actually shown on TV.
  • DonnyDave
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote:
    Not sure, I read it from this thread posted by Hurrah so therefore can't be certain if it was just a video news available on their site for viewing or it was actually shown on TV.
    From the way the report ends "Sally Nugent, BBC News", I assume that it was. They're not going to make a report like that and not show it on television.

It's good how it has been covered by several newspapers and the BBC on the same day. I think it's a sign that it's been taken more seriously by the media. In the past, there have been odd articles which bear reference to Saynoto0870.com.

I wonder whether it had anything to do with the suggestion of Say no to 0870 Day which was one member suggested as 4 October. It's suspiciously close and in any case, this is a good sign that if we decide on having a proper Say no to 0870 Day in the future, we will receive more publicity, or at least have more visitors who are aware of the site.
  • mary
    mary Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    still down at 4 p.m. today. Anyone know Severn Trent's number?
  • DonnyDave
    Options
    mary wrote:
    still down at 4 p.m. today. Anyone know Severn Trent's number?
    It's up and down.

Verified is: 02476 853881 0800 7834444

Unveried says above 024 number is "no longer in use" and gives 0121 7224000 as head office. Also unverified are 01332 686252 and 0800 3281133, as too is 01332 686018. Another unverified switchboard is 01332 280920.
  • DonnyDave
    Options
    The forum at Say no to 0870 is back now.

On the subject of whether the BBC report was featured on BBC One's news programmes, the record number of visitors was 198 (with 197 guests) which was set yesterday at 13:42. So that'll be just after the BBC One O'Clock News then.
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find that more and more companies are using 0870 numbers
    What is worse is that many that had landline numbers on saynoto0870 are forcing us onto 0870's
    I often get the message "For customer services please redial using 0870...."

It looks like its getting worse before it gets better

There, I had my winge
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • Tiger_Tim_2
    Options
    The site has been unusable for a few days now. The old cynic in me is getting suspicious that BT is somehow restricting bandwidth on the site to limit the impact on their profits!
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Tiger_Tim wrote:
    The site has been unusable for a few days now. The old cynic in me is getting suspicious that BT is somehow restricting bandwidth on the site to limit the impact on their profits!
    The site has been on and off for past few days because of the newspaper articles and it being mentioned on TV as well. It's all down to the sheer volume of traffic. The more people that try and access the site the slower it can become. Also many hosts have bandwidth limits which doesn't help neither.

This site has been known to suffer similar type problems in the past but I think they've now switched to a faster/better server with probably higher bandwidth limits (if any). Obviously though this site generates more traffic than SayNo anyhow.
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    From Say NO to 0870 site.

Due to recent newspaper articles we are receiving a far higher number of visitors to normal. Due to this, you may be experiencing problems accessing certain parts of the website.

We have therefore had to temporarily suspend the forum section of the website.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please bear with us, and try again later.

Thank you for your continued support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport