We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The SayNoTo0870 Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• manic
    manic Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need to phone the passport office on 01733 888004.

The saynoto0870 website says
    Remember to use 141 to WITHOLD your number

Any ideas why we would want to withold our number from them?
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    manic wrote:
    ..Any ideas why we would want to withold our number from them?
    Some companies and government departments will not accept calls if you ring their geographical number because you are bypassing the revenue they receive from the call, or the number is meant for people who are calling from outside the UK. This is underhanded if you ask me refusing to deal with calls from those trying to bypass their revenue generating number.

Alliance & Leicester are well known for point blank refusing to deal with anyone who is calling their geographical from within the UK instead of their 0870 number.

Sometimes these companies are capable of tracing the geographical area you are calling from if you don't withhold your number which they use this feature to then give you a recorded announcement that your call is not accepted and to ring their 0870 number. If you rang with your number withheld or ideally withheld from a mobile number then it makes it harder for the companies to determine that you are calling from within the UK.
  • fonesaver
    Options
    I recently sent a comment to the Yorkshire Building Society about their use of 0845 numbers pointing out that they were costing customers more money instead of helping them.

A nice lady rang me and gave me their 01274 number to use saying 'yes I have to pay to call from my mobile and now use the 01274 number instead'.

She went on to say that the society was looking at going back to geographic numbers so there's hope yet!
  • bbb_uk
    Options
    fonesaver wrote:
    I recently sent a comment to the Yorkshire Building Society about their use of 0845 numbers pointing out that they were costing customers more money instead of helping them.
    Those companies using 0845 in most cases are probably thinking that they are helping their customers because the call is apparently charged at local rate despite for years this not been the case. In all fairness teleco's still generally advertise 0845 as local rate / 0870 as national rate so most companies were probably mislead into getting a 0845 as it looks better and cheaper for their customers.

Larger companies that may have call centres across the UK (or outside the UK in a lot of cases) benefit from the features that using an 084x/087x have like intelligent call routing, etc. This feature with the fact that 0845 is missold as local rate is the main attraction for the use of these numbers. Also in a lot of the cases the company don't receive a revenue from the call but of course the teleco who owns the number keeps all the revenue and in return may provide the end company with intelligent call routing at no extra charge.

087x on the other hand, I personally believe, are just used to gain revenue. Full stop. If companies wanted to take advantage of call routing, etc then they could have picked a 0845 number but they have decided on an 087x purposely because of the revenue they receive in return.

When the new 03x range becomes available then I hope those companies that aren't after the 'revenue' from their current 084x/087x will migrate to the new 03x range which will cost us nothing more than a proper geographical call and included in any price plans that we may have.
    fonesaver wrote:
    A nice lady rang me and gave me their 01274 number to use saying 'yes I have to pay to call from my mobile and now use the 01274 number instead'.
    Can I ask if you have added this 01274 number to the database over on SayNo (if its not already listed) so other forum members can benefit from the free or cheaper call to their bank?
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I havent been keeping up with things
    Has much changed over the last months?

I rarely call 0870 numbers these days

I was calling aria technology customer services today on their unpublished landline and didnt get through. I was disconnected after 15 minutes without actually speaking to anyone
    I called again and opted for their sales dept and got through straight away even before i heard a ringtone
    They refused to help me with a customer service issue and quoted me the 0870 number. I told them i keep getting disconnected after 15 mins
    They said thats happening because I was using their landline

I decided to bite the bullet and use the 0870
    15 mins later I wasnt cut off but I was still on hold.

This attitude from a major computer firm is disgusting
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • Diana_Sherston
    Options
    I tried to use https://www.saynoto0870.comjust now for the first time but when it eventually came up the pages were blank then I just got 'this page is not available 'message. I am trying to find a normal number for Airmiles. Can anyone help? Thanks
  • the_tired_one
    the_tired_one Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried to use https://www.saynoto0870.comjust now for the first time but when it eventually came up the pages were blank then I just got 'this page is not available 'message. I am trying to find a normal number for Airmiles. Can anyone help? Thanks
    Its down at the moment.
  • r_holmes22
    Options
    Wonder whether that's anything to do with this article from The Times yesterday raising increased awareness of, and interest in, the site? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2389087,00.html
  • bbb_uk
    Options
    r_holmes22 wrote:
    Wonder whether that's anything to do with this article from The Times yesterday raising increased awareness of, and interest in, the site? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2389087,00.html
    Don't forget it was also mentioned in the Daily Mail, The Sun and a BBC Video.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    It was also featured in a bunch of London's free newspapers yesterday.

I think 'Daniel' needs to buy some more bandwidth!
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure