We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The SayNoTo0870 Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• janmack
    janmack Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the cost of 0871 calls is? I am disgusted that my current employer, EdExcel has introduced this rate on their employee helpline. Needless to say, I have had no reply from them to my email requesting advice on reimbursement rates!!

Up-to-my-ears-in-exam-marking-
    Jan
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    janmack wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what the cost of 0871 calls is? I am disgusted that my current employer, EdExcel has introduced this rate on their employee helpline. Needless to say, I have had no reply from them to my email requesting advice on reimbursement rates!!

Up-to-my-ears-in-exam-marking-
    Jan
    It depends upon the subsequent 3 digits but the maximum is 10p/minute at all times from a BT residential landline (see HERE).

What are the next 3 digits? 0871XXX?

I'd lay money they're taking a cut of the call costs though!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    I don't understand that. What's wrong with ordinary 0161 xxx XXXX or 020 xxxx XXXX numbers? There are no ingress charges for those.

I work for an insurance claims centre and we deal with a LOT of claims lines. I create the local number and then the client arranges the 0845 number. Why an 0845 number? because we need them.
    If one of our clients decides to move their business from us then they have an 0845 number on their paper work and policies that they can point to any other number. If they print the 01** number then that's what all the customers have and dial. if the client went somewhere else they'd have to send out updates to all their customers.
    2 of my jobs at the minute are to create new numbers for 2 of our clients as they've asked for front end messages to be included. If these are done on the existing numbers it eats into service level and the client isn't happy. #so the client will point the 0845 number to the newly created numbers, which plays the message and then routes to the original number for reporting.
  • julesbrook
    julesbrook Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    To use telephone banking/enquires with A&L Bank you have to use an 0870 no. or their alternative no. when calling from abroad. When I use the overseas no. they always ask where you are calling from (I usually say Dublin). I forgot last time I rang, slipped up and said I was calling from home. A very rude receptionist said, and I quote "You've been told about using this no. before, it's on your record. Don't use this no. again" and refused to put me through.

Are companies allowed to refuse if you use the overseas no.?

I want to complain about the receptionists rude manner but don't know if I can complain about not being put through. What do you think?
  • upallnight
    upallnight Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Well one thing the newsletter seems to have done is overloaded the site with new customers ? It's been unavailable ( at least to me ) for the last hour !
  • fiish
    fiish Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    0871 calls cost 10ppm max from a landline, but the going rate for calling them from a mobile is 35ppm and no provider, not even O2 (who generously include 0845/0870 numbers), includes them in their bundle. Ridiculously expensive.
  • jammymutt
    jammymutt Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any experiance?.

Do tell please if they are good or bad.

thanks
    24 Cans in a case of lager,

24 Hours in a day,

Coincidence?.
  • simonne15_2
    simonne15_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to Heinz for raising this one re Patientline.
    Call charges: 39p off peak and 49p during peak times.
    Taking advantage of patients and visitors at their most vulnerable time in this way is totally exploitative; -another example of a National health service serving shareholders via privatisation.
    The only alternative seems to be to ring the Ward number direct, but obviously that's irresponsible as its occupying the ward's landline for a personal call; also not all patients could come to the phone. trolley phones seem to have disappeared.

Anyone got any ideas about how to put pressure on such companies and the NHS for using them?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    simonne15 wrote:
    Thanks to Heinz for raising this one re Patientline.

Anyone got any ideas about how to put pressure on such companies and the NHS for using them?
    There's an interesting thread on SayNoTo0870 (see HERE) which may give you some ideas.

It's been on-going since July last year and, true to form, Ofcom have yet to do anything - I think the current position is they've tried to wash their hands of the matter by passing it back to the Department of Health!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • PMerchant
    PMerchant Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    American, but is there something similar here:

http://gethuman.com/us/

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income