We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• padzster
    Options
    After a couple of years of delaying I've finally ordered my mooncup - thanks to all your postitive posts by the way!
    FYI I ordered from bodykind for £17.95 with free p&p.
    Will let you know how I get on.
  • CodeNumpty
    Options
    ruthiejane wrote: »
    I sterlise mine at the end of every period. Not sure why you think your body needs a break overnight? Personally while I'm in bed is one of the times I like mooncup best - but maybe this is to do with how much I wriggle in my sleep :o (well enough for my dh to complain anyway!!). I find towels much too messy overnight.

Seconded! Avoids spoilt matresses and sheets in the wash in the morning. Overnight use is a real plus. I use Milton at the end of each period to soak it in overnight. When using it, a rinse under the tap is sufficient.
    Never trust a smiling cat
  • I got mine when I was 28, I used it for about 3 days then fell sverely ill (not related, but it put me off anyway). Not used it again for 2 years! Sterilised it and started using it again (I am now nearly 31), I use a size B and it is fine, although I am very slightly built.

It is absolutely fantastic though, and I am so glad I have started using it again.
    September £10.00 a day challenge £2.50 per day = £75 for the month. £7.84 down £63.16 to go
  • Isabelle
    Options
    Just ordered mine! I had been dithering but after eading all the positive posts, I decided to go for it!
    May even recommend it to all the girls at work if I get on with it ( I work in an "all women" environment, maybe I could start a new business selling Mooncups?). :rolleyes:
    DFW Nerd No955 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'

Nerds rule! :cool:
  • Titch28
    Options
    Wish I'd persevered now Sorry to be the only one but I didn't like it. I have very heavy periods and was worried about it leaking and one day it did, it was probably my fault as no doubt after reading all these posts I put it in wrong, you're supposed to make sure it 'seats' and mine obviously didn't as I didn't find it very comfortable. I threw it away after the leaking incident as I lost all confidence in it. i was told it only took a day or two to get used to it but after reading these posts it sounds more like 2 or 3 cycles. Good Luck
  • foreversomeday
    Options
    To the person who asked about sex with a mooncup... I suppose you could pop to the bathroom and remove and rinse there, or perhaps pop it into a bowl/cup of water by the bed while you were... busy, then replace it afterwards? It might have to be under the bed or otherwise hidden if your partner was squeamish though and to make sure he didn't drink the water by mistake :rotfl:

Alternatively with a little bit of forward planning they do make menstrual cups which you can have sex with them in place - which means less mess too. They are disposable though so not very eco friendly or moneysaving, but they have all the health and convenience benefits of the mooncup. They look a bit like a cross between a diaphragm and a condom!!

Link here:
    http://oochi.biz/instead/public/
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • I can't believe how much these have gone up. I bought one twelve months ago online (amphora aromatics) and it was £12, now it's over £18 - what's happened???

Anyway, all my friends are grossed out by the thought and I use the disabled loo at work which has a sink in the loo so I've got a bit of privacy washing it, but it's amazing, really comfortable and so good for the environment. I haven't counted up how many tampons I would otherwise use over the next 20 years or so, but what a complete waste and expense.

come on girls, moon cups rock. go for it! :j ps that's me being really sporty with my moon cup in. safe as houses!
  • purplelotus
    Options
    b_girl wrote: »
    The only question I have which is gross and probably really stupid is...
    as my periods are fairly light (due to the pill) i am still able to maintain a (fairly) normal sex life with my boyfriend whilst menstruating. When we are 'in the mood' i usually remove my tampon, wrap it up and dispose of it after we are done (sorry too much info!!). This means the moment isn't ruined with farting around in and out of the bathroom and possibly leaking over the floor/bed etc. With the mooncup what do people do? :confused:

Sorry about the graphic post, just curious and I am so wanting to get one!

Shove one tissue in it, one around it and hide it under the bed! Easy peasy! (So long as you emptied it fairly recently, otherwise a few more tissues might be required inside it, but I always wash it before I get into bed anyway)

I've used a mooncup for 3 years now and never looked back. Just consider how difficult tampons were to get used to when you first ever used one...

My only question is: after three years it's gone a rather skanky colour. Nailbrush scrubbing helps a bit, what else might make it look new again?

And my contribution to the "too much information" advice, don't throw it in the sink while you're sitting on the loo - it bounces! Oops
    :heart2: Give blood. :female: Use a mooncup.
    But ensure the two are not connected!
  • GotNoRhythm
    Options
    Just ordered mine from bodykind (thanks, Padzster!) Good for the environment and my bank balance!! Sounds too good to miss!!
    I'm surprised that I'd never heard of them before though...
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    lemon juice and water mixed should remove staining ;)
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure