We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• these things are great...had mine for almost 3years now, and they are sooo worth having!!:j
  • Savagirl
    Options
    Have not had time to read the full thread but would just like to add my tuppence worth.
    I have had mine for about two years now (mooncup)and started using it as I was having very heavy perods...even super plus tampons and a towel at the same time were leaking through, it was out of desperation that I tried it really.
    I found the reason I was leaking was because of the quantity that was being 'dispatched' at once. With the mooncup this is so much more manageable.
    It has also saved me an absolute fortune.
    Yes it is a bit gross, you have to get the technique right but that also goes for using tampons too but I have never looked back it is absolutely fantastic.
    I have told all my friends, but my convert total so far is only 2 LOL!
    I have also found my periods to be less painful and over more quickly than when using tampons, what a bonus!
    To anyone who finds it a horrid thought just think back to when you first started your periods that was gross but you got used to it you can get used to this too.
    And remember all those tampons go directly into the sea!
  • I have been using mine for 6 months now and I love it! I also use washable sanitary pads and panty liners. I am a cloth nappy advisor, so I actually sell the washable pads and the Mooncup. Let me know if you would like one! I earn a small commission on my sales, and postage is free :A !
  • lilybunny
    Options
    Just wanted to add my praise for these wonderful inventions! I've had mine for about two years now and would NEVER go back to tampons. My periods seem shorter these days too. I agree with one of the previous posts about no longer suffering from the dreaded thrush immediately after my period, nor that horrible dryness from the tampons. They do take a bit of practice but it is really worth it. I would also recommend chopping off the entire stem, it's so much more comfortable. They come in different sizes so make sure you buy the right one for you (it mostly depends on whether you have given birth vaginally before or not - no measuring tape required!!!!) Good luck to anyone trying for the first time, you'll be pleased you took the plunge.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are worried about toxic shock syndrome consider this:

Sanitary towels and tampons may be individually wrapped but they are not STERILE. Whereas you can sterilise a mooncup.

This comes from the Mooncup website: "TSS has been linked to high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons. The Mooncup differs from tampons in that the material that it is made of does not support the growth of bacteria in the way that the rayons and cottons used in tampons do. Menstrual cups have been around since the 1930s but have not been associated with toxic shock syndrome. "

(http://www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrual_cup_faq.html#TSS)

Because of this I personally believe that Mooncups are safer.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • b_girl
    b_girl Posts: 266 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been following this thread and am really keen to get a mooncup now!

The only question I have which is gross and probably really stupid is...
    as my periods are fairly light (due to the pill) i am still able to maintain a (fairly) normal sex life with my boyfriend whilst menstruating. When we are 'in the mood' i usually remove my tampon, wrap it up and dispose of it after we are done (sorry too much info!!). This means the moment isn't ruined with farting around in and out of the bathroom and possibly leaking over the floor/bed etc. With the mooncup what do people do? :confused:

Sorry about the graphic post, just curious and I am so wanting to get one!

Trying to live a good life on little money :T
  • Oh my god! These are fantastic! Really comfy, really easy and covenient. Save loads of money on sanitary products! Have had mine for about a year now, and have never looked back!
    No more getting to the loo n thinkin, 'whoops, shld have brought a tampon with me!' Just take out, rinse and put back in! Ingenius! I sterilise mine in the evening ready for the next day. Seriously rate this!!
    Take a look at the website. xx
  • Know what you mean, personally, I take mine out and sterilise in the evening ready for the next day and use a sanitary towel overnight. Problem solved and gives the body a break overnight too!! GET ONE!! x
  • Ruthy297
    Options
    I love mine!! Had it about 18 months now and wouldnt use anything else! It ticks all the boxes. Most of the girls in my office have started to use a mooncup and when the dreaded day comes along each month for each of us and we have our 'friend' in place., we have to sing 'Moon River' LOL Madness I know but it makes us smile and feel good! for all the many positive reasons quoted by the users on this thread :-)
  • Bf109
    Bf109 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. I bought one of these recently and it just wont stick on the end of my willie! What am I doing wrong!?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rise like Lions after slumber
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income