We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• ruthiejane
    ruthiejane Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Know what you mean, personally, I take mine out and sterilise in the evening ready for the next day and use a sanitary towel overnight. Problem solved and gives the body a break overnight too!! GET ONE!! x

I sterlise mine at the end of every period. Not sure why you think your body needs a break overnight? Personally while I'm in bed is one of the times I like mooncup best - but maybe this is to do with how much I wriggle in my sleep :o (well enough for my dh to complain anyway!!). I find towels much too messy overnight.
    ilovefreegle.org - give it away don't throw it away :)
  • nitnurse-not2
    Options
    I mentioned my mooncup last year on the forums and I still think it is one of the best ideas on the market.
    I have told everyone about them.
    A friend at work bought one for her and one for her daughter.
    The only negative comment I have heard was from the said daughter.
    She loves extreme sports and was wearing her mooncup whilst skydiving.
    oooops!!!!!! a little spillage occurred.
    What does she expect when flying at a great speed earthbound!
    Apart from that.....................
    All is well in mooncup land.
    Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible:j
    Christmas is not a time but a state of mind :xmassmile
    Trying.....Very trying- as my DH would say :whistle:
    Loving de-cluttering :heart:
  • shirlgirl2004
    Options
    I mentioned my mooncup last year on the forums and I still think it is one of the best ideas on the market.
    I have told everyone about them.
    A friend at work bought one for her and one for her daughter.
    The only negative comment I have heard was from the said daughter.
    She loves extreme sports and was wearing her mooncup whilst skydiving.
    oooops!!!!!! a little spillage occurred.
    What does she expect when flying at a great speed earthbound!
    Apart from that.....................
    All is well in mooncup land.

Note to self that I must not go skydiving when using my mooncup :rotfl:
  • raffertygrey
    Options
    FlyingDodo wrote: »
    I've checked out the website, but I think you mean "Fairy Hammock":rotfl: :rotfl: Looks interesting but not sure it's for me tho;)

Ooops!!! Brain not working..thought it didn't sound quite...right:rotfl:
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not read the whole thread so this might have been mentioned but there is another alternative to tampons - the jam sponge.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • welhamroad
    Options
    Hi, have had one for 3 years now and wouldn't use anything else. I have 2 days of really heavy flow and even tampons and towels together didn't cope. The mooncup does. I do use a towel too on heavy days but its comfortable, reliable, easy to carry in your bag 'in case', environmentally friendly and I wish I'd known about them 20+ years ago.

For anyone going travelling or to remote places then I would say its a must and will last years. It can take a couple of months to get used to but if you have problems their email helpline is really helpful. Go for it and start saving your money and the environment.
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    When I use tampons and go to the toilet I always end up pushing the tampons out, - whereas I don't with a mooncup. It's alot more comfortable.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • midian
    midian Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    i have had one for about three years now. it has paid for itself and is easy to use. i found travelling with it particularly easy because of the lack of bulk.

first few uses were messy. liner recommended until you know you have it right. i trimmed the end tail very short as that was annoying.

i empty it before bed and always sleep with it. i never buy tampons, ST's etc anymore.

wish i had known years ago.

highly recommended.

@ b_girl

if you hav esex during your period then you will need to take it out if you have penetration (imho - but i could be wrong...)

the mooncup is easily removed, rinsed and set aside until you need it. i, as recommended by mooncup, only sterilise mine at the end of my period. if i have it out over night then i sterilise it again.

it is great for light days and heavy days asyou don't have to think which pad / tampon should i use (i am usu light) so i use the mooncup until every last drop of blood has stopped.
  • Cinders2001
    Options
    Savagirl wrote: »
    And remember all those tampons go directly into the sea!

Do they?
    What about the sewage works and water processing plants and the bio-digesters? Don't they filter out all the mush first before the water goes back to the sea?
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Milford_Cubicle
    Options
    My partner settled into bed next to me last night just as I was looking at the jam sponge page and promptly had a fit of "uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!" I then explained about them, to which he said "God, that's almost as bad as those mooncup thingies!"
    I sniggered. Then I told him I was thinking of getting a mooncup - he had a very odd reaction, sort of contorted his body and face. The "urgh" reaction was increased when I said "Well, we have to think about these things when DD starts her periods..."
    :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport