mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    kida wrote: »
    Yes they're a bit fiddly and potentially not as clean and clinical to use as tampons I'd say and the mooncup takes a bit of getting used to for a correct & comfortable position. Not really easy to use in small toilets with no handbasin - without getting too graphic.

I've had mine for over a year now but still experience a few leaks - on the whole very pleased with it though.

The 3 size options are good too as one mooncup size does not fit all!!!:p

Tampons aren't sterile but you can sterilise a mooncup!
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • Laneydix
    Options
    I so wanted to use one of these - I was really keen, cost wise and 'green' wise. However the first time I used it I fainted. Apparently it touched my cervix which went my blood pressure dropped and I then fainted. I advised the supplier and they had a nurse ring me and told me not to use it anymore. I do have friends who swear by them though and have had no problems.

Give it a go.
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    Yaay! :D

So glad you've managed it! How's it been since? Hopefully now that you know you can insert/remove without problems it should just get easier.

Maybe we should get Martin to mention Mooncups on It Pays To Watch - would be hilarious to see if he can keep a straight face whilst broadcasting the benefits!!

Haushinka

Just noticed this post.

It's been fine since :D I much prefer it to tampons, I don't get the panic of 'oh god I have no tampons' anymore :p
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • raffertygrey
    Options
    TaBunny wrote: »
    Oh my god this sounds so gross I just read their site and felt sick yuk yuk who wants to be emptying out something like that argggggggggg no

As gross as filling our oceans and landfill with little rancid packages of old menstrual blood soaked cotton wool and plastic?

I must admit though, I also had a few misgivings when I first heard of them. It's natural for us to feel this way because it's something we're maybe not used to. However, just because it's not the norm it does not mean it's a worse solution!

I used my Mooncup for the first time this week and I am in love already. I am desperate to spread the word for the good of womankind!

Yes, you do get a little more close up and personal with Aunt Flo and there can be a little bit of fishing around 'up there' to start with BUT for the comfort and convenience it is SO worth it.

Believe me, get over the "yuk" and you will never look back.
  • raffertygrey
    Options
    Laneydix wrote: »
    I so wanted to use one of these - I was really keen, cost wise and 'green' wise. However the first time I used it I fainted. Apparently it touched my cervix which went my blood pressure dropped and I then fainted. I advised the supplier and they had a nurse ring me and told me not to use it anymore. I do have friends who swear by them though and have had no problems.

Give it a go.

Not sure how a moon cup touching your cervix would make your blood pressure drop?

Anyway, Mooncups are supposed to sit low down in the vagina and not go anywhere near the cervix although they are often recommended to woman with a low cervix because they should still be shallow enough to sit below.
  • sinderella_2
    Options
    I first saw these 'advertised' in grafitti on the backs of the doors of the fairly posh hotel in town...mmm not your average grafitti, but then this is not your average town!

That was about 2 years ago but I never went for it - feel inclined to try it now, though, so thanks for the thread!
    Gala bingo wins £70!!! mystery shopping earnings: £0
    MutualPoints 2898 STP £20.50 Tesco clubcard points £950 for summer 09!

• raffertygrey
    Options
    Also, just wanted to mention that if you want to use a pad/liner at the sam time as your cup (or alternate) then using washable san-pro can increase your comfort levels even further, plus is more ethical (often made by work at home mums) and eco-friendly and of course, save you £££££s

I just persuaded a friend of mine to try washable pads (my next job is getting her a cup) and she texted me yesterday to say she is having her most comfortable period EVER!

You can get some really gorgeous ones too. I prefer the ones made with bamboo / bamboo velour and backed with felted wool for comfort.

Try Wee Notions (make cloth nappies too, you need the "fanny hammock" department!!) http://www.weenotions.co.uk

Or Luxury Moon: http://luxurymoon.co.uk/

Or Crafty n Clothy: http://www.craftynclothy.com/

Or Puddlepants (think you'll find their 'Florence' pads in the Accessories section:http://www.puddlepants.co.uk/

And Hollow Oak, but none in stock right now: http://mumzmall.co.uk/thehollowoak/

Happy shopping!
  • FlyingDodo
    Options
    Try Wee Notions (make cloth nappies too, you need the "fanny hammock" department!!) http://www.weenotions.co.uk

I've checked out the website, but I think you mean "Fairy Hammock":rotfl: :rotfl: Looks interesting but not sure it's for me tho;)
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    My friend at work just bought one this morning too :rotfl:

I'm spreading the word!
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • Tuesday
    Options
    I've had one for a few years and they are amazing. Much more comfortable than tampons, they never leak and if I get stuck somewhere I can use the disabled loo to empty it and rinse it out. I haven't had thrush since using it so it seems a much more healthy alternative than tampons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure