mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Oh yes I love my mooncup too!!!!
    Bought one about 6 months ago and wished I'd done it earlier. I just love the fact that I don't have to carry any sanitary protection with me cos I already have it on me.
    I had great difficulty for the first few months but not now. Firstly pushed it up too far like a tampon. Then had dreadful trouble getting it out especially on the lighter days. Wrestled with it whilst staying at my mates. Bit panicky that it wasn't going to budge!!!!!!! Think I might have a tilted womb.Now I'm a pro cos got the hang of breaking the seal. Also don't get that horrible smell especially at the end and really bad itching too. Convinced its helped to maintain the natural flora down there which tampons obviously absorb every month. Yes am lucky with sink in toilets at work but use a small bottle of water to wash out if camping etc. love the fact there is no string hanging down too especially changing at gym and yes would do any sport/activity whilst its in place. Also less laundry cos no leaks altho after emptying put a small piece of toilet roll just incase.
    Yippee and best of all not spent a penny on tampons.Wonder how much I've saved and the environment.
  • fifth_ave
    Options
    I only did a quick search about Eco Wash Balls and then found this thread on the Green Forum.
    I must confess I bought my MoonCup at the Vitality show about 4 years ago now and I haven't even used it.
    (That's probably not gone down too well with those who are regular users of the mooncup, your probably shouting at the computer saying use the thing you stupid girl).
    Well first thing I'm going to do tonight is find out if ok to use still after 4 years, I would probably say it is and just give it a quick boil to freshen it. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I did buy the one for age under 30 & no kids, but now I'm over 30 & no kids. Is it worth trying it before my period to see if it is comfy or not??

Reading this thread has convinced me I must give it a try.
  • caledoniaquine
    Options
    Love mine too wouldnt want to go back to using towels.
  • RebekahR
    RebekahR Posts: 5,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I fell in love with my moon cup (the idea of it) about 1 year - 18 months ago. I purchased mine from boots for £20. I used it the 1st day of my next period. Locked myself in the bathroom, ky in one hand, hot tap running and cup in the other. Once I had made it warm and wet I applied a little (prob too much then) Ky and attempted to put it in but it wouldnt go so gave up.

The next month I tried again and it went in a little way but I couldnt undo the thing so pulled it out again in agony.

Many months pass I read this thread with joy and the desire to try again. Just locked my self in bathroom as per the first time and tried to insert. Got it in a little way but fear over took me when I thought of how much it hurt before so I stopped. Tried again but it would go in. So I squatted wider and tried again but it wouldn't go past. So I gave up. I am not on my period at the moment but thought I would try it any way now for practice. Not sure its for me.

Has anyone tried to put it in when they have been ahem "sexually aroused" or after an O when things are more stretched and widened out already? Wondered if that would help at all? :o:o:o
  • babs57
    Options
    Guess i'm in a minority.
    Leaks occasionally and agony to remove-have to fold top to get out.Given up.
    Babs
  • IamJen
    IamJen Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    babs57 wrote: »
    Guess i'm in a minority.
    Leaks occasionally and agony to remove-have to fold top to get out.Given up.
    Babs
    Ah. That's too bad. I'm using the Diva Cup, but the idea is much the same. You might just have the wrong size, or not be getting it in quite right. If it's placed too high, it will likely leak. I use a pantiliner still most days, but after the first cycle or two, I haven't really needed it (except a few heavy days, at night). If the cup's not open all the way, it can also leak.

I post an another message board where there is a long and hearty discussion about menstrual cups, and the common tips seem to be:

- Make sure that it's not in too high. It should sort of rest at the top of the vagina. It might bump up against the cervix, but it doesn't need to fit tightly like a cervical cap or diaphragm.

- Be sure that those little holes at the top of the rim are cleaned (i.e. not full of blood). They're teeny tiny, but if they're clogged, you can have leaks. Someone suggested rolling the cup between my fingers under running water to unclog them, and this works for me, but you can also use a paper clip or safety pin (I did this at first).

- If it feels like it's "poking" you, in the vaginal area, try trimming the tail/stem. It's only there to aid you in getting it out, but you don't really need it.

- Make sure that the cup opens all the way after insertion. The cups are usually folded during insertion, but if they don't !!!!!! out/expand properly...you guessed it...leaks. Once it's at about the right "height", if it doesn't pop open, you can try grasping the bottom of the cup and rotating it a bit. If you're not sure whether it's opened up, just gently run a finger around the outside of the cup, and you'll be able to tell.

-If you're having trouble getting it out, forget about pulling on the stem. Think of it a bit like a suction cup (I know it's not exactly the same). If you pull to break the suction, it requires more force than if you compress/squeeze to break the suction. In this case, try squeezing the bottom of the cup, not the stem, but the cup itself. This should break the suction and you can pull it out gently, while still holding on.

It's a bit of a learning curve, for sure, but I love love love mine now. I had far more leaks with tampons, especially on the heavy flow days (which can be really heavy for me).

Fifthave:

I think it would be completely fine to use it after 4 years. You might manipulate the cup a bit, and just check and make sure there aren't any cracks or anything. They're supposed to last 10 years though, so I think it would be fine.

It is a good idea to try it out before your period, when there is less pressure to get it right. :D Some gals I know though, have said that dryness is an issue when using it off their cycle though. Even for myself, I don't usually use it on the last day.

I'm not sure about the size, but I would've guessed that you'd want the larger one. I think the idea is that after 30, muscle tone will have started to decline, in that area.

Man, this post looks like I should be selling the things! :p
    Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. - Jonathan Kozol
  • HaushinkaGreenDay
    Options
    Drea wrote: »
    I just got it out without a problem :D emptied it and put it back in! Now that's more like it :D

Yaay! :D

So glad you've managed it! How's it been since? Hopefully now that you know you can insert/remove without problems it should just get easier.

Maybe we should get Martin to mention Mooncups on It Pays To Watch - would be hilarious to see if he can keep a straight face whilst broadcasting the benefits!!

Haushinka
    MoneySaving comes naturally; I was born in Yorkshire :D
  • lushkat
    lushkat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I too love my Mooncup and I have been using it for about a year. However it did take about three cycles to get used to it. One problem I had was I couldnt get it out in the mornings after having worn it all night as I couldnt seem to break the suction. However, what I do is tear off a piece of loo roll and then use that to reach up and grip the end of the stem of the mooncup using the toilet paper. I seem to get a better grip which then lets me pull it down and forwards and the seal breaks.

For any of you struggling keep going... it really is worth it in the end. And remember that Mooncup always are happy to answer any questions you have - they are so helpful.
  • shirlgirl2004
    Options
    I used a mooncup for the first time this month and was really surprised. I heard about them a long time ago but had the yuk cringe factor and didn't like the idea. On reflection I can't remember why I didn't like it because it isn't as if any used sanitary product is nice!

Anyway after reading loads of great reviews I took the plunge. It's early days and I had one leak where I hadn't put it in properly but apart from that all was fine. I particularly liked the fact I could use it right to the end of my period when normally the flow would be too light. Great!
  • jorichste
    Options
    I've read most of this thread but not all, so apologise if the answer is already on here. I was thinking about getting a mooncup when I'm back in the uk next month but I swim a lot and wondered if this would cause any problems. Does anybody who has one of these swim regularly while using it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure