We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free Cinema Tickets - Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Rainey_LB
    Rainey_LB Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2010 at 12:47AM
    Options
    I think you are right there, its not so much what kids are exposed to but how their parents raise them & guide them .... I understand what your saying about your area, I grew up in one of the not so nice areas of London.

Found myself staying up to watch Footloose on C4 now, gonna be knackered in the morning.

Trying to think of other films.....Stand by Me, Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Short Circuit, Little Shop of Horrors, A Night on the Town (Adventures in Babysitting)...films I watched similar at a similar age to the kids club.

I heard they are re-making Footloose.
    :hello:
  • The_Old_Bag
    Options
    Rabbit proof fence is gentle yet thought provoking.
    DS absolutely loves Amazing Grace - again thought provoking, historically based if not particularly accurate, and also a bit of social commentary for beginners as well.
    LOVE all the old Laurel and Hardy films - not seen them for decades, but the one which I can still remember huge chunks of was when they were 'doing up' an old boat. Think it may have been simply called The Boat ??!
    Romeo and Juliet
    - the Baz Lehrman version.
    I have been introducing my ds to some 'classic' movies. He is now realising that some things made before he was born are actually pretty darned good - thinking of Die Hard, Back to the Future etc.
    I suppose logically, if they spawned sequels and spanned decades, they must have been good.... although I was never able to sit through any of the Rocky films:cool:
  • Poochface
    Poochface Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just logged on. You mean you've noticed that I'm a night critter - lol?

Just caught up with the thread. Good suggestions so far. I remember 'Walkabout' at school. We also got the original Clash of the Titans - lol.

I think I've seen Walkabout, I have a feeling I caught most of it on tele one night.

Staying in that part of the world whatabout Picnic at Hanging Rock?

I'm going to need help now because my mind is getting foggy (aka fibro fog)!

I'm trying to remember the name of two films based on real life events.

The first is also set in Australia; Ayres Rock - it's the film about the little baby girl taken by a coyote but her mum was jailed for murdering her although she was later released.

Just remembered that Meryl Streep starred so looked it up on imdb, it's called A Cry in the Dark.

The second film I'm trying to recall (actually there are two films made about the same subject I think) is about some very old photographs taken by young girls, they were of fairies in their garden. It was donkey's years before one of the girls finally admitted they were faked. Not sure but I think in the film Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a part! Not the real man of course lol
  • Poochface
    Options
    I think you've been exposed to the posters of Buried too much - lol. It really looks like a good film if going by the posters and trailers (but we know what path they can lead you down - a completely different path to the actual content of the film itself).

No, I had to look it up. I haven't seen anything about this. It does sound like a Bushtucker Trial in I'm a Celebrity :rotfl:

Another film to go on my list, thank you kindly Tibbs:T
  • Poochface
    Options
    Rainey_LB wrote: »
    I think you are right there, its not so much what kids are exposed to but how their parents raise them & guide them .... I understand what your saying about your area, I grew up in one of the not so nice areas of London.

Found myself staying up to watch Footloose on C4 now, gonna be knackered in the morning.

Trying to think of other films.....Stand by Me, Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Short Circuit, Little Shop of Horrors, A Night on the Town (Adventures in Babysitting)...films I watched similar at a similar age to the kids club.

Stand by Me was on television recently, so sad to see River Phoenix but I hadn't realised that Wil Wheaton was in it.

Yes, they are remaking Footloose, latest news is Andie MacDowell is joining.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087277/news#ni4013089
  • Poochface wrote: »
    I think I've seen Walkabout, I have a feeling I caught most of it on tele one night.

Staying in that part of the world whatabout Picnic at Hanging Rock?

I'm going to need help now because my mind is getting foggy (aka fibro fog)!

I'm trying to remember the name of two films based on real life events.

The first is also set in Australia; Ayres Rock - it's the film about the little baby girl taken by a coyote but her mum was jailed for murdering her although she was later released.

Just remembered that Meryl Streep starred so looked it up on imdb, it's called A Cry in the Dark.

The second film I'm trying to recall (actually there are two films made about the same subject I think) is about some very old photographs taken by young girls, they were of fairies in their garden. It was donkey's years before one of the girls finally admitted they were faked. Not sure but I think in the film Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a part! Not the real man of course lol

Haven't seen it but, the film you refer to might be 'FairyTale: A True Story' (1997).

There is a book called 'The Case of the Cottingley Fairies'.

HTH
    Invented tradition: Couponology

Fancy title: Couponologist

Motto: Because I have conviction doesn't mean I'm a convict :D.
  • Rainey_LB wrote: »

I second Ghostbusters and Short Circuit. What about War Games and ET? Don't know about discussion, but enjoyment would be higher on the agenda with my suggestions.

• Rainey_LB
    Rainey_LB Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    I always remember a film I watched as a child of about 7-8, early 80's, it was about a white child & a black child who became friends during apartheid, all I can remember is that the white boy gave the black one a lollipop through a fence & the black child died at the end (I think was a long time ago) ........ it was probably first film to make me think & I remember crying at the end......................only trouble is I can't remember what it was called, have been trying to find out for years.

Anyone got any ideas??
    :hello:
  • Poochface
    Options
    That's the film I was trying to remember, Rabbit proof Fence. Thanks Baggie. :T

Here I am showing my age again but I much preferred the 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet. We were taken to see it when at school and we all fell in love with Leonard Whiting and I think Olivia Hussey was perfect as Juliet. I honestly didn't think that Claire Danes was beautiful enough.

Maybe Whilley, you could show both films to contrast and compare the styles?
    Rabbit proof fence is gentle yet thought provoking.
    DS absolutely loves Amazing Grace - again thought provoking, historically based if not particularly accurate, and also a bit of social commentary for beginners as well.
    LOVE all the old Laurel and Hardy films - not seen them for decades, but the one which I can still remember huge chunks of was when they were 'doing up' an old boat. Think it may have been simply called The Boat ??!
    Romeo and Juliet - the Baz Lehrman version.
    I have been introducing my ds to some 'classic' movies. He is now realising that some things made before he was born are actually pretty darned good - thinking of Die Hard, Back to the Future etc.
    I suppose logically, if they spawned sequels and spanned decades, they must have been good.... although I was never able to sit through any of the Rocky films:cool:
  • Rabbit proof fence is gentle yet thought provoking.
    Romeo and Juliet - the Baz Lehrman version.

I'll second those.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport