We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free Cinema Tickets - Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Poochface
    Poochface Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not exactly Cinema tickets discussion but I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some ideas for the FilmClub I run at the school where I work.
    Across the school we have 7 clubs running showing various films depending on age/sex, however my club is aimed at Y7 & 8 kids (age 11-13) I have consent to show films above their age - within reason - and am looking for ideas for the first film of the year. I like to get them watching things they haven't already seen/maybe would NEVER think of watching.
    The club is run with the help of an online organisation which means we get our films via a well known movie rental website. ;) I have run the filmclub for three years now...hence the 200 members but fresh ideas are always welcome. First film is usually something by Studio Ghibli...normally Howls Moving Castle to get them thinking...and while I love Ghibli after three years I'm not sure I can face it again!
    Still building up the courage to show them Hotel Rwanda though...concerned about parental complaints, I wouldn't mind my 12 year old watching it...in fact she has...but I know some parents would even though it is a 12!

A colleague who runs the club for Y10 & 11 suggested a Carry On Film but couldn't make his mind up which one would be best...

Open to suggestions....:cool:

Oh I adore Howl's Moving Castle, what a brave move to show that to a group of children. I'll have a little think and dig around because I'm sure language will be a factor in any choices.

As a matter of interest, how long is it before most films go to rental?

Personally, I wouldn't show any of the Carry On films but have you considered some of the Laurel and Hardy films or The Three Stooges?
  • Poochface
    Options
    lamb7994 wrote: »
    What about Slumdog Millionaire?

Excellent choice :T Funny and thought-provoking and they have a lot to talk about afterwards.
  • willeynotwiley
    Options
    Rainey_LB wrote: »
    I disagree, attitudes and society has changed considerably since Carry On's were made, there was less political correctness and people were able to speak more freely and the films were tongue & cheek, as I female I would never take offence, I still love them today.

From educational point of view, all the classics film/tv of that time had similar content, Carry On's, On The Buses, Step Toe & Son......... it would demonstrate how attitudes and humour has changed. They are also a great representation of British 1960's film making.

As for the sexist content, its slapstick, not really offensive and I have no problem with my children watching them as did I as a child.

Our view exactly...if we are opening their minds to a whole range of films...why not the history of British comedy?

Poochface wrote: »
    Oh I adore Howl's Moving Castle, what a brave move to show that to a group of children. I'll have a little think and dig around because I'm sure language will be a factor in any choices.

I did try an Iranian film called 'Offside' last year however had some kids who struggled with the subtitles :(

As a matter of interest, how long is it before most films go to rental?

3-4 months

Personally, I wouldn't show any of the Carry On films but have you considered some of the Laurel and Hardy films or The Three Stooges?

Was looking at Laurel and Hardy the other day in the poundshop of all places! Again I wouldn't know which one to pick or all they all equally good?
    Valuable life advice: never play chicken with a lion...the lion will ALWAYS win!:eek:
  • Rainey_LB
    Rainey_LB Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    Poochface wrote: »
    Excellent choice :T Funny and thought-provoking and they have a lot to talk about afterwards.

Slumdog is a great film, and I get your points, but the chances are the majority of them would have seen it with it being so modern and currently popular.
    :hello:
  • willeynotwiley
    Options
    Thought I would share some of last years favourites (in no particular order):

Johnny English...slap stick comedy done as only Rowan Atkinson can
    The Illusionist...kept them all guessing till the end...and beyond
    Clash of the Titans (original)...they hated and staff laughed saying it must have been the worst punishment at a chosen activity EVER :(
    Karate Kid(original)...all loved it (even managed to take 3 of them to the preview of the new one and they preferred the original!)
    Howls Moving Castle...can't beat Ghibli
    Edward Scissorhands...need I say more???
    Offside...those that could keep up with the subtitles enjoyed :o
    Boy in Striped Pyjamas...shock, silence, awe
    Highlights...special screening of StreetDance3D with George Sampson and Flawless..and special Preview of ToyStory3D with Q&A session with marketing director for Disney!

Sometimes I really love my job :D
    Valuable life advice: never play chicken with a lion...the lion will ALWAYS win!:eek:
  • Poochface
    Options
    just as a PM'd them and told them :)

I don't understand this comment. Are you telling me (yet again) that I should have pm'd the turnip about posting the link?

What was the point of that when it has been on here for several hours? You don't think Sky won't know about it by now? You think I've put an idea in Sky's collective head to close the loophole?

You know very well that Sky will close this loophole down just as they have done in the past when others, including you, have posted it publicly.:mad:
  • Rainey_LB
    Rainey_LB Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I would share some of last years favourites (in no particular order):

Johnny English...slap stick comedy done as only Rowan Atkinson can
    The Illusionist...kept them all guessing till the end...and beyond
    Clash of the Titans (original)...they hated and staff laughed saying it must have been the worst punishment at a chosen activity EVER :(
    Karate Kid(original)...all loved it (even managed to take 3 of them to the preview of the new one and they preferred the original!)
    Howls Moving Castle...can't beat Ghibli
    Edward Scissorhands...need I say more???
    Offside...those that could keep up with the subtitles enjoyed :o
    Boy in Striped Pyjamas...shock, silence, awe
    Highlights...special screening of StreetDance3D with George Sampson and Flawless..and special Preview of ToyStory3D with Q&A session with marketing director for Disney!

Sometimes I really love my job :D

What about Beetlejuice? That was very of the moment.
    :hello:
  • Poochface
    Options
    I disagree, attitudes and society has changed considerably since Carry On's were made, there was less political correctness and people were able to speak more freely and the films were tongue & cheek, as I female I would never take offence, I still love them today.

From educational point of view, all the classics film/tv of that time had similar content, Carry On's, On The Buses, Step Toe & Son......... it would demonstrate how attitudes and humour has changed. They are also a great representation of British 1960's film making.

As for the sexist content, its slapstick, not really offensive and I have no problem with my children watching them as did I as a child.

I agree that they are tongue in cheek and are peculiar to their time along with Steptoe and Son but have you seen On The Buses recently? Shocked is too strong a word but I was surprised at some of the terminology used and I'm not part of the pc brigade. I had forgotten how people spoke in that show and some others. Attitudes have changed immensely, thankfully, but the way in which the brother-in-law Jack treated his wife Olive isn't something I would want children to be exposed to. But that's just my opinion. I still have fond memories of all those shows and others.:)

I don't think the people in charge would agree to the Carry On films but that's only a guess on my part.
  • Poochface
    Options
    turniplord wrote: »
    only the code before the .php will be disabled - but as long as you have clicked the link once it adds a cookie to your browser - the cookie lasts for 6 months and the 'came from sky' flag lasts until jan 1st 2020 - meaning if this link is closed but you have clicked the link already then you wil have access to the sky booking page until 2020 :)

Look love, you aren't the first (or maybe you are) and you won't be the last who posts a Sky link, Sky will close the loophole down as they have in the past.

There are ways of helping people without letting Sky read about it on a public forum but maybe you were only after the hits on the thank you button.
  • willeynotwiley
    Options
    What about Beetlejuice? That was very of the moment.

Good call! It is a 15 though so would have to rewatch it fisrt...My 12 year old LOVES Drop Dead Fred and that's her top suggestion whenever I ask her...again it's a 15 and only takes one parent to complain and I'm in bad books with the head :(

May offer guidance as to which over rating films we'll watch..eg Fred, Beetlejuice, Slumdog???

Any parents of Y7 who would object to their kids seeing these films at school? (I have been told by many I am not a 'normal' parent so ask for others for their veiws!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport