Free Cinema Tickets - Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Poochface
    Poochface Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There you go, Pooch has her paw on the pulse NOT!!:rotfl:
    Our view exactly...if we are opening their minds to a whole range of films...why not the history of British comedy?

Was looking at Laurel and Hardy the other day in the poundshop of all places! Again I wouldn't know which one to pick or all they all equally good?

I don't know but I'm sure that a rootle round on imdb will give you an idea.

I searched on imdb for Laurel and Hardy but strangely nothing came up,
    so here is the link for Stan Laurel http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0491048/

and the on for Oliver Hardy

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001316/

Have you thought of showing a silent film? Maybe Chaplin

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000122/

Then you could tie that in with Robert Downey Jnr as Chaplin?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103939/
  • Poochface
    Options
    Rainey_LB wrote: »
    Slumdog is a great film, and I get your points, but the chances are the majority of them would have seen it with it being so modern and currently popular.

Fair point but I wonder how many have actually thought about the film and discussed it?
  • willeynotwiley
    Options
    I am loving everyone's suggestions...knew I could rely on you guys...:D

Bed time for me, but feel free to 'carry on' discussing into the wee small hours (Pooch/Tibbs - do you guys EVER sleep? :) ) and I'll check in on your thoughts in the morning lol
    :)
    Valuable life advice: never play chicken with a lion...the lion will ALWAYS win!:eek:
  • Poochface
    Options
    1) You mean the Edward Norton film don't you? For a moment I thought you'd managed to see the film released this year going by the same title.
    2) The re-release is worse lol
    In a similar vein what about Jason and the Argonauts? I remember going to see this with my uncle and being terrified by the skeletons with their swords:eek:. The problem is that the children today are used to modern special effects.
    Thought I would share some of last years favourites (in no particular order):

1) The Illusionist...kept them all guessing till the end...and beyond

2) Clash of the Titans (original)...they hated and staff laughed saying it must have been the worst punishment at a chosen activity EVER :(

Highlights...special screening of StreetDance3D with George Sampson and Flawless..and special Preview of ToyStory3D with Q&A session with marketing director for Disney!

Sometimes I really love my job :D
    WOW how lucky are they?

How about showing Tron?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/

With Tron: Legacy about to be released it might interest them to see the original story.
  • Poochface
    Options
    Good call! It is a 15 though so would have to rewatch it fisrt...My 12 year old LOVES Drop Dead Fred and that's her top suggestion whenever I ask her...again it's a 15 and only takes one parent to complain and I'm in bad books with the head :(

May offer guidance as to which over rating films we'll watch..eg Fred, Beetlejuice, Slumdog???

Any parents of Y7 who would object to their kids seeing these films at school? (I have been told by many I am not a 'normal' parent so ask for others for their veiws!!!)

Beetlejuice is excellent but I take your point. Even though children seem much older and knowing than ever before, there are always one or two that are cossetted. I'm sure you'd have a gut-feeling about this kind of thing though as you would know the children. I suppose the area in which the children live and attend school needs to be taken into account. Children living in 'rougher' areas or large cities are exposed to far more than others.

I've been asked by a friend who lives in the Home Counties to recommend films suitable for the family and her youngest is 16 but they were appalled at The Hangover, so I've given that task up;)
  • Rainey_LB
    Rainey_LB Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2010 at 11:51PM
    Options
    Good call! It is a 15 though so would have to rewatch it fisrt...My 12 year old LOVES Drop Dead Fred and that's her top suggestion whenever I ask her...again it's a 15 and only takes one parent to complain and I'm in bad books with the head :(

May offer guidance as to which over rating films we'll watch..eg Fred, Beetlejuice, Slumdog???

Any parents of Y7 who would object to their kids seeing these films at school? (I have been told by many I am not a 'normal' parent so ask for others for their veiws!!!)

Another favourite of mine and has been since I was young is Footloose have just got in from work and its on in half hour!! Trouble is I have to get up for work in the morning!!
    Poochface wrote: »
    Fair point but I wonder how many have actually thought about the film and discussed it?

Very true, another thought provoking one is Schindlers List, I watched this for the first time in my mid teens.

Pooch going back to On The Buses, we watch it all the time, it couldn't be made today, but I think its hilarious, OH has it on the series link, our 7 year old watches it too, some of the language is out of date but it harmless, nobody ever gets hurt & Stan always comes off worse!! :rotfl: As for poor Olive she gets rid of the husband in the end and she did con him into marrying her!! She ends up a clippy!!

Maybe just my warped sense of humour, but grew with my grandad being huge fan of all these shows, so watched them all the time, don't think its done me any harm...... we live in the Home Counties too!
    :hello:
  • Poochface
    Options
    I am loving everyone's suggestions...knew I could rely on you guys...:D

Bed time for me, but feel free to 'carry on' discussing into the wee small hours (Pooch/Tibbs - do you guys EVER sleep? :) ) and I'll check in on your thoughts in the morning lol :)

I normally pass out and sleep for several days at a time but I'm terrified to do so at the moment in case I wake up and find someone has buried me or had me cremated!:D:eek::rotfl:
  • I am loving everyone's suggestions...knew I could rely on you guys...:D

Bed time for me, but feel free to 'carry on' discussing into the wee small hours (Pooch/Tibbs - do you guys EVER sleep? :) ) and I'll check in on your thoughts in the morning lol :)

I've just logged on. You mean you've noticed that I'm a night critter - lol?

Just caught up with the thread. Good suggestions so far. I remember 'Walkabout' at school. We also got the original Clash of the Titans - lol.
    Invented tradition: Couponology

Fancy title: Couponologist

Motto: Because I have conviction doesn't mean I'm a convict :D.
  • Poochface wrote: »
    I normally pass out and sleep for several days at a time but I'm terrified to do so at the moment in case I wake up and find someone has buried me or had me cremated!:D:eek::rotfl:

I think you've been exposed to the posters of Buried too much - lol. It really looks like a good film if going by the posters and trailers (but we know what path they can lead you down - a completely different path to the actual content of the film itself).
    Invented tradition: Couponology

Fancy title: Couponologist

Motto: Because I have conviction doesn't mean I'm a convict :D.
  • Poochface
    Options
    Rainey_LB wrote: »
    Another favourite of mine and has been since I was young is Footloose have just got in from work and its on in half hour!! Trouble is I have to get up for work in the morning!!

Very true, another thought provoking one is Schindlers List, I watched this for the first time in my mid teens.

Pooch going back to On The Buses, we watch it all the time, it couldn't be made today, but I think its hilarious, OH has it on the series link, our 7 year old watches it too, some of the language is out of date but it harmless, nobody ever gets hurt & Stan always comes off worse!! :rotfl: As for poor Olive she gets rid of the husband in the end and she did con him into marrying her!! She ends up a clippy!!

Maybe just my warped sense of humour, but grew with my grandad being huge fan of all these shows, so watched them all the time, don't think its done me any harm...... we live in the Home Counties too!

Footloose and Schindler's List = great choices:T

As for On the Buses and similar programmes, I too watched them on a regular basis with my mum. Even at a young age I 'got' the meaning in programmes such as Love Thy Neighbour and Til Death Us Do Part. I realised who the jokes were well and truly on the bigots. I have no problem watching On the Buses and if I had children I would also expose them to as wide a range as possible in film and t.v. shows. I'm a firm believer that children should learn at home and a good parent will allow their children to safely extend their boundaries under their watchful eye rather than sitting in a friends house sniggering at things they are too young to watch or understand and without the chance to ask questions.

A friend of mine who lives in the North East has always allowed her children to see films that were certified as slightly too old for them but they watched as a family and the children had the chance to discuss whatver controversies they contained. Both the girl and boy have grown up as well adjusted and are responsible young adults who can swear but don't use profanity in every single sentence.

Whilst I live in a rough area where many parents don't take any responsibility for their children regardless of age. Where you will find tots as young as three using the 'c' word. I very much doubt that they sit down to watch anything as a family nor are they taught the meaning of morality in life, films or television shows. If they watched a show like On The Buses, they would take a different viewpoint and would look on Jack as a 'role model' and treat people as he did Olive.

I meant no slur when I mentioned my friend living in the Home Counties, it was to show the contrast with the area that I live in. My friend's attitude took me by surprise as I presumed she would 'see' the film as I did and understand the humour in the foul language. Mainly because I often use swearing to emphasise humour just as I do with exaggeration plus I didn't hear the swearing in The Hangover after a while. In total contrast, my toes curl if I'm on a bus and listening to young schoolgirls effing and blinding so much that if you extracted the expletives in the sentence you are left with something that has no meaning whatsoever!

But bak to film choices . . . .

Come on Tibbs, where are you???????????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family