Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Unemployment increases to 2.44m

Options
Dan:_4
Dan:_4 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 August 2009 at 9:42AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8196549.stm

The number of people out of work in the UK has risen again, the latest official figures show. The jobless rate increased by 220,000 to 2.44 million in the three months to June - the highest level since 1995.

Comments

• Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    The quarterly report will make interesting reading. The BoE increased QE for a reason and hopefully the reason will be revealed in their report. I think we have a long way to go before we're out of the woods.

I wonder what impact these new unemployment figures will have on the FTSE?
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    Options
    Seems like the predictions of 3m before crimbo could come true.

Only needs an average of roughly 100k per month.

Scary times. This is one figure I don't like seeing, especially as we all go round trying to convince ourselves things can only get better.
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

Only needs an average of roughly 100k per month, of which it's double and more per month at the moment.

Scary times. This is one figure I don't like seeing, especially as we all go round trying to convince ourselves things can only get better.

3 Million by christmas will happen easily IMO. These figures are masked slightly. On 4 September child benefit will cease for hundreds of thousands of kids in households up & down the country. September will see a substantial increase in the unemployment figures.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • Dan:_4
    Options

Only needs an average of roughly 100k per month.

It probarly is over 3m in you take into account all those self-employed builders etc who cannot get work.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    Dan: wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8196549.stm

The number of people out of work in the UK has risen again, the latest official figures show. The jobless rate increased by 220,000 to 2.44 million in the three months to June - the highest level since 1995.

Yes! Get in.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    Options
    It probarly is over 3m in you take into account all those self-employed builders etc who cannot get work.

Very true and something I have said before.

But they don't count for the figures, of which it looks like predictions will be right.

Unemploymen figures are an absolute minefield of innacuracies purely for political purposes.

I'd like to know how many people, or the percentage of people working between the ages of 16-65....I think that would give us a much better indication of the REAL unemployment figures. You then have the disabled....and again, I would like to then know those who cannot possibly work, and those who have been told they cannot work under the general rules we have at the moment....instead of saying what they can do. They may not be able to lift boxes. But I'm sure they can type letters for instance....
    Options
    Yes! Get in.

What do you mean by that statement?

I really hope your not happy with these figures.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    What do you mean by that statement?

I really hope your not happy with these figures.

Of course I am Dan.

I have a job you see Dan. So I'm ok - which is what matters to me. Why should I care about other peoples poor life choices?

What I am hoping is that as many other people as possible will be priced out of their jobs, leaving me commensurately better off than them. Before long there might be so few other people with jobs that they will have to come to me for jobs, leaving me free to use their ill fortune for my own gain.

Its called capitalism apparently, and I have learnt it from reading this forum. Capitalism doesnt just apply to houses does it?
  • luvpump
    luvpump Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

3 Million is the best we can hope for, some have been predicting much more..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/5039033/Unemployment-could-double-to-4m-predicts-David-Blanchflower.html

It will peak at probably the highest since the depression :eek:
    Options
    Of course I am Dan.

I have a job you see Dan. So I'm ok - which is what matters to me. Why should I care about other peoples poor life choices?

What I am hoping is that as many other people as possible will be priced out of their jobs, leaving me commensurately better off than them. Before long there might be so few other people with jobs that they will have to come to me for jobs, leaving me free to use their ill fortune for my own gain.

Its called capitalism apparently, and I have learnt it from reading this forum. Capitalism doesnt just apply to houses does it?

Thats okay then, I though for a second that you were thinking it could lead to a another house price crash.

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport