Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Unemployment increases to 2.44m

Options

Comments

• ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    No - im happy to wait for the first one to finish.
  • Dan:_4
    Dan:_4 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No - im happy to wait for the first one to finish.

Hopefully we will start to go in the right direction shortly, it will take a few months just to get rid of the recent gains.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    Long term 1.5m included in that figure too so real unemployment due to recession still less than 1m.

I honestly have no close friends or family that have been affected by any of this, the numbers are too small and insignificant, it's just another media headline to me. Im pretty sure if i was made redundant today, i would have another job by this time next week.

If not and it was looking bleak, i'd be in the armed forces within 3 months. There is simply no excuse for long term unemployment, if you have any drive about you, you would find something.

Ive not got a window cleaner in my area, all i need is a bucket, a pair of ladders and a few window wipe blades and im sure id be pulling in over £1k pw by knocking on doors and charging £5 a time. (Ive actually thought about doing so in the evenings and at weekends because no one else has taken advantage of the situation)

Its just some people do not have any up and go and it boils my pi*s to be frank. Get up off your ars*s and do something instead of whinging and blaming everything on ''the recession'':rolleyes:I hear it constantly... ''I am out of work due to the recession but honestly its not my fault i am looking'':mad:

There i feel better now, that's my rant for the day

Over and out:D
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1k a week for cleaning windows. LOL. I admire your optimism!
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    Dan: wrote: »
    It probarly is over 3m in you take into account all those self-employed builders etc who cannot get work.
    Exactly, well over if said s/e people have savings over x amount they are entitled to jack !!!!!!:confused:
    Also all the other benefits being payed out under different banners to mask the real u/e figures (as has always been the case) to soften the blow etc.
    3.5 - 4m by xmas if the truth was out. :confused:
    You can fool some of the people some of the time etc etc etc.
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    Long term 1.5m included in that figure too so real unemployment due to recession still less than 1m.

I honestly have no close friends or family that have been affected by any of this, the numbers are too small and insignificant, it's just another media headline to me. Im pretty sure if i was made redundant today, i would have another job by this time next week.

If not and it was looking bleak, i'd be in the armed forces within 3 months. There is simply no excuse for long term unemployment, if you have any drive about you, you would find something.

Ive not got a window cleaner in my area, all i need is a bucket, a pair of ladders and a few window wipe blades and im sure id be pulling in over £1k pw by knocking on doors and charging £5 a time. (Ive actually thought about doing so in the evenings and at weekends because no one else has taken advantage of the situation)

Its just some people do not have any up and go and it boils my pi*s to be frank. Get up off your ars*s and do something instead of whinging and blaming everything on ''the recession'':rolleyes:I hear it constantly... ''I am out of work due to the recession but honestly its not my fault i am looking'':mad:

There i feel better now, that's my rant for the day

Over and out:D

Interesting about window cleaners

in the last two months we have had 4 guys round asking whether we need a window cleaner
    I don't remember any queries in the last 10 years before now.
  • Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    luvpump wrote: »
    3 Million is the best we can hope for, some have been predicting much more..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/5039033/Unemployment-could-double-to-4m-predicts-David-Blanchflower.html

It will peak at probably the highest since the depression :eek:

Could do, but perhaps not as a %age.

I thought all bears disagreed with blanchflower anyway :)
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 10:30AM
    Options
    1k a week for cleaning windows. LOL. I admire your optimism!

400 customers with a 2wk re-clean
    600 customer with a 3wk re-clean

Will make you a continual £1000pw

My mums window cleaner has around 5000 customers, obviously employs staff as its too much for him but he is reportedly clearing £3k pw window cleaning. Its then upto you to tell the taxman how many windows you're cleaning. (Honest officer;))

Its a cash in hand job, very easy to do and something i am really thinking about taking advantage of on top of my main day job as there is honestly no one doing this in my area and what's a fiver a time to someone living in an affluent area of 3/4/5/6 bed private homes, they can easily afford a fiver every 2-3wks.
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    mitchaa > "it boils my !!!!"< ... I have never heard that before, it made me laugh.
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
  • thriftybabe
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    3 Million by christmas will happen easily IMO. These figures are masked slightly. On 4 September child benefit will cease for hundreds of thousands of kids in households up & down the country. September will see a substantial increase in the unemployment figures.

Gosh I never even thought of that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport