Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Unemployment increases to 2.44m

Options

Comments

• Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tomterm8 wrote: »
    Um, he had employees. Hire a minimum wage grunt, who does 3 houses an hour, and you have yourself a profitable business.

He didn't have any employees when he said he was earning that.
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then he is either (a) a lying bastid or (b) he has managed to get a round full of back to back houses... i.e. where you can do a street in a couple of hours, without having to travel.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • baileysbattlebus
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    Depends on if you have been hit by the recession to be fair and depends on the clientele of your customer. Sure on a benefit populated council estate you would get your ladders knicked and people pretending they're not in to avoid paying but in nicer areas you will happily get people forking out for odd job type jobs such as gardening and window cleaning. I still have the same spending habits i did pre recession, nothings changed much for me as i suspect is the same for many others.

I branded long term willfully unemployed as i dont think they are trying hard enough. Sure 1-3mths is acceptable, but any longer and they're really taking the michael imo. I'll go as far as 6mths perhaps if they are in a construction typed industry or are aged 55+ but any longer and i personally would go as far as to call someone lazy/uncreative.

(Willfully in bold as its not a bash at anyone sick, caring after the sick, or disabled who obviously cannot work)

Agree with the window cleaning bit - we still have our windows cleaned about once a month - he does a good job and he is reasonable, a couple our landing windows are impossible to clean, unless you have a head for heights and are able to move like a contortionist, standing on a ladder while hanging out of a window.

And like you our spending habits haven't changed.
  • themanbearpig
    Options
    I'm surprised and fascinated by this window cleaning thread.
    Why do people clean their windows so often, surely once per year after the winter is more than enough!?

I guess there is still money to be made in non skilled roles if you can spot an opportunity. If schools encouraged a bit of entrepreneurship, maybe everyone wouldn't think that the only options are you either do Alevels, and go to "uni", or work in macdonalds.
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do people clean their windows so often, surely once per year after the winter is more than enough!?

It's a cultural thing. In the US, they have window screens, which prevent um... bird stuff... and bugs hitting the window. US window cleaners visit once a year, but they charge $80+, unlike most UK window cleaners who visit every 8 weeks, and charge £5-10.

The more regular the clean, the less effort it takes to clean the window.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    these figures dont include 'temporary stopped' claims where for instance a factory worker or construction worker etc has been laid off temporarily due to lack of work but still has a job when things pick up, JSA is still paid but not in the stats! and believe me theres a hell of a lot of these!

source: i work in the jobby!
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 8:23PM
    Options
    mewbie wrote: »
    What planet are you on? We have our windows cleaned once every two months, and I begrudge paying that. If times were harder it would be one of the first things I would stop paying for.

Mewbie mewbie mewbie, you want to do battle then eh?

I am on planet Earth and told you about 6-9mths ago that we were going to be in stagnation, who's laughing now eh ;) Were we not supposed to be around a further 20% down by now;)

I wont go there or wind you up about how nothing has changed in Aberdeen though as i can feel your blood pressure rising already that i was right and you as 1 of the bearest of bears have been proven embarrassingly wrong:p

Oh you tight wad. Times are not hard for the 90%+ who have kept their jobs.

Where's that fishing rod smilie gone?:p
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 8:25PM
    Options
    so this geordie bloke was, at a fiver a go, cleaning 38 houses windows a day, seven days a week. rubbish.

or 60 houses a day if he didn't work weekends. so, in a working day of say, 8 hours, he would clean 8 houses an hour - or 1 every 7.5 minutes???

utter rubbish. he must be a liar.

No mention that he charged £5 and also no mention of business typed payments, i.e retail shop windows £15 a time twice a week,

Saying that I could quite honestly believe in the figures behind your sums. He could have been working 10-12hrs a day, charging more and cleaning as quick as that yes.

I suspect he was telling the truth seeing as he was on TV in front of millions. I could well believe £6k pm as like i said before, my parents window cleaner takes in well over £3kpw (with 2-3 staff)
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    On the subject there has been some talk recently of some glass that "cleans itself" I said yeah right I'll throw some cr4p at it and we'll wait to see it clean itself....
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    So now we have it officially that there are more unemployed today than when NuLabour took office.

More unemployment and more debts.

Of course Clown and Mandy blame it all on everybody but themselves. But many countries in Asia are NOT in recession. They are growing steadily, including China, one of the countries we are giving charidee to.

#Things can only get better..#
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family