Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Unemployment increases to 2.44m

Options

Comments

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joeskeppi wrote: »
    My window cleaner has a ladder and a bucket, charges £7 for 6 windows!

£7.50 round my way.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ess0two wrote: »
    £7.50 round my way.

Mines £15. I think his first name is Robin
  • Entertainer
    Options
    The ILO definition of unemployment is done through a survey and does include people who are seeking work but not elegible for benefits, like self employed people. To quote:

"Those with no paid work in the survey week who were available to start work in the next fortnight and who either looked for work in the last month or were waiting to start a job already obtained."

So when people pluck figures of 4/5 Million out of the air they are way off. What they are including is people who are economically inactive e.g stay at home mothers, drug addicts, early retirees etc etc- not the same as being unemployed- you need to be actively seeking work.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be bl00dy useless at window cleaning. Carrying a ladder I'd be like one of those comedy sketches that spins it around (if I could actually manage to lift/balance it). I am cack handed and quite pathetic at anything involving manual coordination of objects. It's a mild dyspraxia, I just grew up knowing I couldn't do a whole bunch of stuff and being cack handed and people just tellling me to "do it/any fool can". I even gave up being a secretary years and years ago as it used to involve making coffees.... I have trouble remembering what more than 2 people want and I can't balance/carry even 2 cups on a tray through/round obstacles. I now know that these are traits quite often associated with my little speshulness, which is great because finally I know "it's not me" that's useless, it's my speshulness.

Me with a ladder would be asking for trouble.

Then there's the actual reaching. 5'1" and you can't reach much ... and if I could get up a ladder (fears) I'd be wobbly and without the ability to reach far enough to clean a whole window in one go.

I'd end up in a heap, soaked, crying, before the first window was done.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The ILO definition of unemployment is done through a survey and does include people who are seeking work but not elegible for benefits, like self employed people. To quote:

"Those with no paid work in the survey week who were available to start work in the next fortnight and who either looked for work in the last month or were waiting to start a job already obtained."
    How would they know that then? I am not on any official paperwork, yet I applied for a job on Sunday. They will never know that. I am off their radar entirely. There are thousands like me who are looking for work in their own little world.
  • themanbearpig
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    400 customers with a 2wk re-clean
    600 customer with a 3wk re-clean

Will make you a continual £1000pw

My mums window cleaner has around 5000 customers, obviously employs staff as its too much for him but he is reportedly clearing £3k pw window cleaning. Its then upto you to tell the taxman how many windows you're cleaning. (Honest officer;))

Its a cash in hand job, very easy to do and something i am really thinking about taking advantage of on top of my main day job as there is honestly no one doing this in my area and what's a fiver a time to someone living in an affluent area of 3/4/5/6 bed private homes, they can easily afford a fiver every 2-3wks.

:rotfl:

£52Kpa being a window cleaner? lol

Why bother with education, just send your kids to the streets cleaning windows, because that sort of money takes decades to achieve in professional fields.
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    How would they know that then? I am not on any official paperwork, yet I applied for a job on Sunday. They will never know that. I am off their radar entirely. There are thousands like me who are looking for work in their own little world.
    Yes and the Gov't brush you/ them under the carpet conveniently. I am s/ employed and work is up and down. I know others in the same boat who have savings and paid in to the system all their lives and are entitled to nowt, and therefore do not show up on the official figures. When you are s/employed you are a non entity almost, scum o t e. :confused:(only time you are bothered is when tax is due)

Hey Pastures you could clean bungalow windows, :confused:
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
  • Entertainer
    Options

PN you understand the statistical concept of survey sampling? You know when they have opinion polls, they are polling a few thousand people (not ten million) and extrapolating it to the whole population. A perfectly sound method with decades of reliability if done properly.

Basically there will be plenty of PasturesNews among the x thousand that they question in the survey.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:

£52Kpa being a window cleaner? lol

Why bother with education, just send your kids to the streets cleaning windows, because that sort of money takes decades to achieve in professional fields.

Did you watch dragons den last week? If not fast forward to 46mins below..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m1n62/Dragons_Den_Series_7_Episode_4/

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/4531744.Dragon___s_Den_invests_in_window_cleaner/

This chap was making £6kpm at the age of 19 window cleaning (50:30 in the footage)

If a daft geordie can do it, a daft jock could too;)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be bl00dy useless at window cleaning. Carrying a ladder I'd be like one of those comedy sketches that spins it around (if I could actually manage to lift/balance it).

Me with a ladder would be asking for trouble.

Then there's the actual reaching. 5'1" and you can't reach much ... and if I could get up a ladder (fears) I'd be wobbly and without the ability to reach far enough to clean a whole window in one go.

I'd end up in a heap, soaked, crying, before the first window was done.

I'm only 5'2". I've been painting the outside of my house, i'm sure my neighbours have been having a good laugh watching me try to push the ladder up, and as for fear, people thought i'd spilt white paint but it was just my face turning white.
    Thank god the upstairs is done, only downstairs left.
    If i move again it will be a bungalow
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family