Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Unemployment increases to 2.44m

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My window cleaner has a ladder and a bucket, charges £7 for 6 windows!
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    I assume from your posts his next school year will be where he takes his exams? If that is so, yes, the EMA would apply from the beginning of his further education (eg A levels).

The move from Incapacity to JSA hasn't properly started yet. It should have, but there have been "delays". Currently, you can't make a new claim for Incap, it has to be ESA.

Have to be honest, I work in the benefits field. Having had training on ESA I have no problems with it. Incap is out of date, the tests for it were designed 20+ years ago. ESA is a lot more robust, and will be harder to acheive. However, if it is fairly applied, will be a lot more practical than Incap.

Incap used to be a case of once you pass the test, you get the benefit for life. Nowadays, with advances in medical treatments etc, health circs can be significantly improved. Rather than giving people their benefit & cutting them off, with ESA, they can review the condition over time. I think this is a good thing, as it will mean that claimants will have to interact with the jobcentre, rather than being cut off, in their homes, never having to go out, knowing they've a regular income. Did you know that the average Incap claim lasted 7 years? & that 7 years would only likely involve 1 or 2 meetings with the DWP in the whole time. A lot of the 50 year olds made redundant etc would claim it & sit on that up to pension credit/retirement age.

As a new benefit, there will always be teething problems. And from and advisors/decision makers point of view, there is no case law set on ESA at the mo, so it is a bit of a minefield.

He will be taking his GCSE's next year...thanks for the clarification on EMA.

Re Incap, blimey, no I was not aware of that! I always thought they had to go for regular reviews or something like that, pretty much as is the case for income support.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    Joeskeppi wrote: »
    My window cleaner has a ladder and a bucket, charges £7 for 6 windows!

And i bet he keeps the majority if not all of that £7 aswell. You need to be earning £10 an hour or so to keep £7 of it in a normal job and he could get that £7 for 5mins work.

Certainly very profitable should you find yourself in the right market.

Would imagine come the winter months though, business would drop so really only a seasonable opportunity.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a point, its a bit illegal to not be declaring your income!
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    He will be taking his GCSE's next year...thanks for the clarification on EMA.

Re Incap, blimey, no I was not aware of that! I always thought they had to go for regular reviews or something like that, pretty much as is the case for income support.

Incap never had reviews - pass the test, not well enough to work, then you were effectively abandoned. It's why fraud claims are actually quite high with Incap, & why people would be on it for years.

It has also just struck me that there will be further changes with JSA, as IS rules are changing for lone parents. From Oct, you will have to move to JSA from IS if your youngest is 12 or over. From Oct 2010, that age will become 7. There's 2 further spikes in the employment figures.

For me, ESA should weed out a number of the fraudulent Incap claimants.

Along with the changes to retirement being phased in there will be a LOT of interesting changes to the benefits system over the next 2-5 years.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • mitchaa
    edited 12 August 2009 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Just a point, its a bit illegal to not be declaring your income!

The majority of single mums do it Graham ;) The majority of SE do it (Well exaggerate their expenditure) and the majority of super rich do it by hiding money all over the world. Its just the dog eat dog world we sadly live in.

Not saying its right, but people are hiding income all over the place and its too expensive and time consuming to police so people are geting away with it, year after year.

If we're not going to beat it, join them i say:D (Please take this with the sarcasm manner its meant in) ;)

Me, im a wage slave on PAYE so no hint of me managing to fiddle anything :(
  • Chris2685
    Chris2685 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    And i bet he keeps the majority if not all of that £7 aswell. You need to be earning £10 an hour or so to keep £7 of it in a normal job and he could get that £7 for 5mins work.

Certainly very profitable should you find yourself in the right market.

Would imagine come the winter months though, business would drop so really only a seasonable opportunity.

Have you ever actually cleaned windows mitchaa? Maybe a pro could do it quicker than I do, but it certainly doesn't take 5 minutes to do 6 windows over 2 floors.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    In a recession are people really going to pay money for something as unnecessary as window cleaning every 2-3 weeks? The only time I've ever bothered doing it in 7 years was at the end of a tenancy in a top floor flat with floor-ceiling windows all along the balcony.

I think it's rather flippant and arrogant to write off the unemployed as automatically lazy and uncreative.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    The majority of single mums do it Graham ;) The majority of SE do it (Well exaggerate their expenditure) and the majority of super rich do it by hiding money all over the world. Its just the dog eat dog world we sadly live in.

Not saying its right, but people are hiding income all over the place and its too expensive and time consuming to police so people are geting away with it, year after year.

If we're not going to beat it, join them i say:D (Please take this with the sarcasm manner its meant in) ;)

Me, im a wage slave on PAYE so no hint of me managing to fiddle anything :(

I'm a single mum and I have NEVER done it!

Sometimes I think I am too honest for my own good.....
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • mitchaa
    edited 12 August 2009 at 11:55AM
    Options
    In a recession are people really going to pay money for something as unnecessary as window cleaning every 2-3 weeks? The only time I've ever bothered doing it in 7 years was at the end of a tenancy in a top floor flat with floor-ceiling windows all along the balcony.

I think it's rather flippant and arrogant to write off the unemployed as automatically lazy and uncreative.

Depends on if you have been hit by the recession to be fair and depends on the clientele of your customer. Sure on a benefit populated council estate you would get your ladders knicked and people pretending they're not in to avoid paying but in nicer areas you will happily get people forking out for odd job type jobs such as gardening and window cleaning. I still have the same spending habits i did pre recession, nothings changed much for me as i suspect is the same for many others.

I branded long term willfully unemployed as i dont think they are trying hard enough. Sure 1-3mths is acceptable, but any longer and they're really taking the michael imo. I'll go as far as 6mths perhaps if they are in a construction typed industry or are aged 55+ but any longer and i personally would go as far as to call someone lazy/uncreative.

(Willfully in bold as its not a bash at anyone sick, caring after the sick, or disabled who obviously cannot work)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure