Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Unemployment increases to 2.44m

Options

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    3 Million by christmas will happen easily IMO. These figures are masked slightly. On 4 September child benefit will cease for hundreds of thousands of kids in households up & down the country. September will see a substantial increase in the unemployment figures.

Blimey that gave me a scare, thought there was something changing so had to go to the child benefit website and then realised that eldest is 16 in October and started reading all that gumph and getting more and more confused about if I had missed a form, does it stop on his birthday etc (it's a slow start for my brain today), so rang them up.....it doesn't apply to him until NEXT September if he doesn't stay on for A Levels (which he is).

Phew, panic brain gone.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    Its a cash in hand job, very easy to do and something i am really thinking about taking advantage of on top of my main day job as there is honestly no one doing this in my area and what's a fiver a time to someone in an area of 3/4/5/6 bed private homes.

Only opened this thread because I saw your name as having made the last post on it, and I flicked straight to it.

You often post something to cheer me up mitchaa, even if you do it unintentionally.

How are the people in your area currently coping without a window-cleaner?

Doing their own? Letting them get grimy? I'm not saying it is a bad idea, provided there is demand and ability to pay. Do you need permission from a council or anything?

What I do find amusing is the thought of you cleaning windows as a job on on the side, with your ladder over your arm and soapy-bucket... after you've just finished a shift as a well-paid and highly skilled chief helicopter technician. Also how many homes are out by you... ? You're more rural aren't you, so there can't be that many.
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    400 customers with a 2wk re-clean
    600 customer with a 3wk re-clean

Will make you a continual £1000pw

My mums window cleaner has around 5000 customers, obviously employs staff as its too much for him but he is reportedly clearing £3k pw window cleaning. Its then upto you to tell the taxman how many windows you're cleaning. (Honest officer;))

Its a cash in hand job, very easy to do and something i am really thinking about taking advantage of on top of my main day job as there is honestly no one doing this in my area and what's a fiver a time to someone living in an affluent area of 3/4/5/6 bed private homes, they can easily afford a fiver every 2-3wks.
    I don't disagree with you but have things changed recently in a big way for window cleaners, in as much as it's not a case of needing a ladder and bucket. now. H & S got involved a while ago and you need the pole reach systems now I believe, maybe not if a one man band?? :confused:
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 15,524 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive not got a window cleaner in my area, all i need is a bucket, a pair of ladders and a few window wipe blades and im sure id be pulling in over £1k pw by knocking on doors and charging £5 a time. (Ive actually thought about doing so in the evenings and at weekends because no one else has taken advantage of the situation)

If only life was so simple now, thanks I guess to Europe, a lot of the old style window cleaners have packed up round here because the job just became too complicated. Risk assessments now have to be made, ladders can not be used, windows over porches and slopping roofs can not now be cleaned and so on. We do have a new firm that comes round now that cleans from the ground with like a power washer attachment thing, but I don’t think it’s does as good a job as the old fashioned way did and they charge a lot more. Not sure if it's the same in every district in the country, I guess it's like the wheelie bins, different councils will make up their own rules.
    [FONT=&quot]“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    Blimey that gave me a scare, thought there was something changing so had to go to the child benefit website and then realised that eldest is 16 in October and started reading all that gumph and getting more and more confused about if I had missed a form, does it stop on his birthday etc (it's a slow start for my brain today), so rang them up.....it doesn't apply to him until NEXT September if he doesn't stay on for A Levels (which he is).

Phew, panic brain gone.

If your eldest is staying in education, you need to make sure child benefit know about it, so the child benefit will continue to be paid. Don't forget they'll also qualify for the EMA if they do!;)

One other fact to consider, is the change from Incapacity benefit to ESA. There are about 2.4 million on Incap. The ESA test is more rigourous, and I believe that many current claimants, when they are migrated fron Incap to ESA will not qualify for ESA, and will have to claim JSA. Estimates predict approx 1 million will be moved from Incap to JSA as this happens.

As an aside, that was supposed to start this year, but has been delayed, perhaps due to the implications of gradually moving a million people over to JSA?
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bo_drinker wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you but have things changed recently in a big way for window cleaners, in as much as it's not a case of needing a ladder and bucket. now. H & S got involved a while ago and you need the pole reach systems now I believe, maybe not if a one man band?? :confused:

A good friend of mine has been a window cleaner for as long as I can remember, got my first job with him!

Anyway, basically, you can still use a ladder and a bucket, but you won't get any type of insurance. One broken window could leave you with no earnings that day, and broken windows are part of the game, especially with the posher properties who want their windows done, the good old sash windows where you only need to touch a pane and out it falls!

He's now got a van with the high reach system, cost nearly 25k for the van and the installation, plus all the servicing he has to undergo to keep it running.

He has however, got insurance going down this route. H&S has wrecked a lot of stuff!

It's an expensive business now. And even he isn't earning profits of 1k a week, and thats doing commerical properties. His turnover is higher than 1k a week, but he takes home around 23k the last time I was talking to him.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    If your eldest is staying in education, you need to make sure child benefit know about it, so the child benefit will continue to be paid. Don't forget they'll also qualify for the EMA if they do!;)

One other fact to consider, is the change from Incapacity benefit to ESA. There are about 2.4 million on Incap. The ESA test is more rigourous, and I believe that many current claimants, when they are migrated fron Incap to ESA will not qualify for ESA, and will have to claim JSA. Estimates predict approx 1 million will be moved from Incap to JSA as this happens.

As an aside, that was supposed to start this year, but has been delayed, perhaps due to the implications of gradually moving a million people over to JSA?

Yep..basically because he is 16 after the first Monday in September (and because he is still in compulsory schooling), it doesn't impact on him until this time next year. Apparently, I will get a letter around May ish time next year to fill in on his intentions to carry on in education, if he doesn't, then child benefit will stop next September.

My panic was because I thought it would stop on his 16th birthday despite still being in compulsory education.

With EMA, that would be once he has completed his compulsory education wouldn't it? So next September when he moves onto 6th form for A levels?

The incapacity to JSA could well cause the figures to jump..wonder if any of the increase this month could be put down to that process although you do say that has been delayed but am sure I have already read reports of people already having problems with this.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    dopester wrote: »
    Only opened this thread because I saw your name as having made the last post on it, and I flicked straight to it.

You often post something to cheer me up mitchaa, even if you do it unintentionally.

How are the people in your area currently coping without a window-cleaner?

Doing their own? Letting them get grimy? I'm not saying it is a bad idea, provided there is demand and ability to pay. Do you need permission from a council or anything?

What I do find amusing is the thought of you cleaning windows as a job on on the side, with your ladder over your arm and soapy-bucket... after you've just finished a shift as a well-paid and highly skilled chief helicopter technician. Also how many homes are out by you... ? You're more rural aren't you, so there can't be that many.

I have honestly not cleaned my windows in about a year or so. Ive just never got round to it even though its at the back of mind that i must do it 1 sunday. Neighbours either side are pretty much the same and i have never noticed any other neighbours up a ladder with a bucket and sponge either

Ive not looked into it at all, its just a wayward thought that has passed through my mind a couple of times. I suspect there is a little more to it than my ladder, bucket, window blade idea but i was just merely pointing out an opportunity that i think would be good to exploit.

I am pretty rural, about 250 homes or so within 1/4m radius of my home, but 2m or so down the road there is a small town with around 4000 people who to the best of my knowledge have no local window cleaners either.

My point was more about peoples up and go and to not just sit back and accept unemployment.
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    Yep..basically because he is 16 after the first Monday in September (and because he is still in compulsory schooling), it doesn't impact on him until this time next year. Apparently, I will get a letter around May ish time next year to fill in on his intentions to carry on in education, if he doesn't, then child benefit will stop next September.

My panic was because I thought it would stop on his 16th birthday despite still being in compulsory education.

With EMA, that would be once he has completed his compulsory education wouldn't it? So next September when he moves onto 6th form for A levels?

The incapacity to JSA could well cause the figures to jump..wonder if any of the increase this month could be put down to that process although you do say that has been delayed but am sure I have already read reports of people already having problems with this.

I assume from your posts his next school year will be where he takes his exams? If that is so, yes, the EMA would apply from the beginning of his further education (eg A levels).

The move from Incapacity to JSA hasn't properly started yet. It should have, but there have been "delays". Currently, you can't make a new claim for Incap, it has to be ESA.

Have to be honest, I work in the benefits field. Having had training on ESA I have no problems with it. Incap is out of date, the tests for it were designed 20+ years ago. ESA is a lot more robust, and will be harder to acheive. However, if it is fairly applied, will be a lot more practical than Incap.

Incap used to be a case of once you pass the test, you get the benefit for life. Nowadays, with advances in medical treatments etc, health circs can be significantly improved. Rather than giving people their benefit & cutting them off, with ESA, they can review the condition over time. I think this is a good thing, as it will mean that claimants will have to interact with the jobcentre, rather than being cut off, in their homes, never having to go out, knowing they've a regular income. Did you know that the average Incap claim lasted 7 years? & that 7 years would only likely involve 1 or 2 meetings with the DWP in the whole time. A lot of the 50 year olds made redundant etc would claim it & sit on that up to pension credit/retirement age.

As a new benefit, there will always be teething problems. And from and advisors/decision makers point of view, there is no case law set on ESA at the mo, so it is a bit of a minefield.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 11:09AM
    Options
    A good friend of mine has been a window cleaner for as long as I can remember, got my first job with him!

Anyway, basically, you can still use a ladder and a bucket, but you won't get any type of insurance. One broken window could leave you with no earnings that day, and broken windows are part of the game, especially with the posher properties who want their windows done, the good old sash windows where you only need to touch a pane and out it falls!

He's now got a van with the high reach system, cost nearly 25k for the van and the installation, plus all the servicing he has to undergo to keep it running.

He has however, got insurance going down this route. H&S has wrecked a lot of stuff!

It's an expensive business now. And even he isn't earning profits of 1k a week, and thats doing commerical properties. His turnover is higher than 1k a week, but he takes home around 23k the last time I was talking to him.

Of course you can do it by the book or you could do it on the side. Ladder over your shoulder and a bucket and blade is all you would need round my way:D A bit like a teenager coming round and knocking on your door for odd jobs/car washing was more my thinking;)

There's a young lad that cuts my grass every 2wks, £15 a time. i know he has quite a bit of work as i always see him around with his petrol lawnmower. If he can do it, im sure a window cleaner can too.

It was merely just a suggestion that i made, i doubt i would put it into practice in reality although it has passed through my mind a couple of times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure