Coolnewmobile, merged threads

Options

Comments

• buzbyc
    buzbyc Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    at least I won't be suprised when no cheques arrive throught the post today!

Nick
  • RajaStyle
    Options
    Three refused to reduce my line rental further unless I upgarde and accept another 12 month contract ! Gits !
  • hueybluey
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know whether 3mobilefones.com (phones 2 your door) are part of this debacle?
    I'm pretty sure they are part of Mobile Affiliates along with Cool New Mobile & Phoneboxdirect.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes phones2yourdoor are in the same boat - and have sunk too.
  • hueybluey
    Options
    Quentin, thanks for confirming my worst fears!

I'm gutted as I have three contracts at different stages and was expecting three cheques any day (after waiting around 10 weeks!).
  • Keith_F
    Keith_F Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been reading this thread in interest...

I ordered a new phone/contract from CNM on the 7th of Nov, now they have gone into administration am I right in assuming that I won't recieve it and my contract won't start?

Or should I check with my network provider that I'm not going to get charged for a contact that hasn't started?

There is a cooling off period on all Distance Selling, you can return any goods.

My advice would be to write to CNM cancelling your order under the terms of the DSR. Keep a copy of the letter. At least then if you get billed for a contract you have proof of cancelling the order and can pay. Copy the letter to the network provider.

If a phone ever arrives do not under any circumstances use it. Then your connection is complete and the airtime provider will start billing you.

• Hi Quentin. Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I'm not sure whether I missed the "claim month" off the claim form or not, as stupidly I did not keep a copy of the claim form, only the bill. My thinking was that
    (i) If they were lying about the missing information on the claim form, I would win because of breach of contract.

Or I was actually going to issue the summons on these grounds
    (ii) If I did miss the claim month from the claim form, I would sue due to
    these quotes from the Customer Contracts Regulations.

14.2.2 It is often administratively convenient if the consumer complies with formalities - that is, procedures involving paperwork - and may even be sensible from the consumers own point of view. But that does not justify a business opting out of important obligations where the consumer commits a technical breach.

14.2.3 Unless the need to observe a formality is obvious and important, or is prominently drawn to the
    attention of consumers, they may overlook or forget it. That is particularly so if it has to be complied
    with some time in the future without any reminder. Terms imposing severe penalties for trivial
    breaches committed inadvertently are open to strong objection.

I have received no legal advice and due to the fact that the company seems to have gone into receivership, this entire subject could soon be irrelevant.Is it worth bothering with now or not?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    this entire subject could soon be irrelevant.Is it worth bothering with now or not?

Afraid not worth spending any more time (or money, or stress) on this issue now.
  • zubeir
    Options
    on a legal angle:
    Is there any way now to claim back any money from Cool New Mobile or mobile affiliates.
  • samba
    samba Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Misery loves company, so I will add that my wife and I are both out of pocket by £294 each. However, we got lucky with a 3 retention offer last year of T&T200 plus a new handset for £6/year. Selling these phones netted up some cash, and with the quidco cashback etc we are only down £200, which is a fair price for a year's calls and texts, although we could have got better handsets.

I have spoken to 3, who are unwilling to let me downgrade. However, we are close to then end of our contracts so would have only saved around £20 each at the most. My strategy now is see what news comes out in the next few days, finish the contracts, cancel and then wait for 3's retention team to contact us :)

As regards the poor employees who are now out of work - I think the writing has been on the wall there for some time, and the sensible ones would have left long ago. At the end of the day, they were happily rejecting claims under false pretences, and claiming there was a fault with the check printing system when they knew full well there wasn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure