edited 20 August 2009 at 9:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
937 replies 98.1K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    emmab2001 wrote: »
    can i ask as i haev said before i'm new to the home freezing lark but what do you store your meals to be frozen in?? i only have one real dish we use for stews/pies and i wondered if anyone knew how to store things cheaply or where to buy cheaply!!????
    I ony freeze the meat parts of a meal - so I cook up a batch of bolgnese sauce, freeze individual portions of that, then cook spaghetti when we want to use some. Same with Chille and rice, Curry and rice, Mince and mash.....

I portion up into rectangular 500g marge tubs , and once frozen I transfer the contents into freezer bags. Takes up much less space, and means I can cook for 1, 2 or 3 (depending on how many people are here) without small portions or big portions/waste.
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £124. Spent £21.53 in shops + £8.84 from stocks + £4.10 discounts squirreled away = £34.47
    Grocery Budget : 2022 £1560. Spent £21.53 in shops + £8.84 from stocks + £4.10 discounts squirrelled away = £34.47
  • spendaholicspendaholic Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've done it. I spent less than £7 on shopping in my final week of a 5 weekend month, bringing the total for August to £162 - against a budget of £200. Whoo-hoo! I didn't think I would, I must say. :beer:

Bring on September ... :T
    spendy/she/her
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: < £2k (2021)
    MY WINS
    £3,541 CASH; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    welcome all newbies and returners

am onto septembers budget now and hubby spent some last night, need to get his receipt off him later, i have now got him trained to get the CC points in mrT's

ioiwe
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I need to get back to this..... not that I ever stay in budget though :rolleyes:

Can someone put me down for £350 in September please? It's started already for me.
    working on clearing the clutter
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, I am declaring my August spending complete at £106.29 for the month including stock pile goods. Bit disappointed as my monthly average has leapt up to £123.56 this year despite all the home grown stuff.

Nykmedia total spend to date = £988.50 (Jan - Aug)

If I'm to come in on budget, I have only £211.50 remaining for the rest of the year. I'll need to set myself another challenge if I'm to manage that right through until New Year.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your totals are very inspiring Nykmedia; I started the year budgeting £1200 each for two adults and that was a huge improvement on last summer's crazy supermarket runs. :o Perhaps you could eat even more vegetarian meals (I guess you must have some already) or have a re-read of Weezl74's adventures?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Evening all, not posted for ages had such a busy month.

Have to admit that this month my GC is a FAIL :mad:

BUT have failed for good reasons not through recklessness, as i acquired my dads old freezer, its an upright one with about 6 drawers so obviously had to fill it :rolleyes: so i now have 3 freezers, this one, my normal fridge freezer and another stand alone one stood on top of my fridge freezer!

However i did recieve an unexpected cheque from tax credits for £120 and won £100 elsewhere so that came in very useful:j
    I have batchcooked and hunted out whoopsies, froze veg and fruit that looks remotely sad, picked blackberries and generally been an excellent OS !

So i dont feel too guilty as i havent actually spent that much money out of my bank account on groceries as there is still a few quid in there before pay day on Friday, which i am not looking forward to as am on sick leave still so goodness knows how tight thats gonna be next month.

In addition I am starting a new job on 21st September if GP lets me go back and dont know yet when first pay day will be from that and its half the pay i earn now:eek: but a necessary compromise if im to regain full health!

However i digress, my apologies!

So despite my overspend ive got 3 full freezers stocked cupboards and an excellent stocked 'emergency' pantry!

Roll on September GC!

HUGE THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL GUYS RUNNING THREAD!:T
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    What's up? No posts in the last five hours! Have I missed something?

Had to buy some orange juice this morning for DH as only had grapefruit juice which he can't drink because of medication he's on. I bought a 99p carton from the local Budgen so still on target to come in under budget. But I won't tempt fate by declaring today. It's going to be really wet tormorrow they say and I am not planning to go anywhere - but you never know!

I spent £2 on Saturday on a body cream that our poundshop stocks - they don't always have it in so I usually buy 2 when I see it. I also discovered that I have a lot of sample sized toiletries in my drawers(stuff you get as freebies or buy for holidays) and I am determined to use these up before buying any more new stuff.

Planted up some seed trays with winter veges today. I have had loads of runner beans from my pots and still have some carrots and spring onions to pull. Did anyone reply to my question about using chard? I have loads of the stuff which is a bit too mature to put in a baby leaf salad! Do you cook it like spinach? I don't want to waste it.

Off to catch up with some of the other threads. Will declare tomorrow and set target for September.

Night night folks.

Moniker
  • :jWell I did it, just. £296 spent against target of £300. It wasn't as hard as I thought it might be but I did have quite a bit in the freezer so this month will be harder. I have managed to get quite a few whoopsies, been given surplus veg from others and got windfall fruit free- this should carry on for September and I will try to freeze as much as I can.

I have found that I seem to spend less overall if I go shopping each week for everything I need for that weeks meals rather than doing a big internet shop each month and then just going for fresh stuff. I set myself a weekly target of £60 which allows a little bit for 'temptation' or bargains. I have also cooked as much as possible from scratch and followed so many of the tips you have all posted- :TThanks everyone, I know all are very busy so the time taken to post tips is appreciated, I have read them all even though I have not posted much.

I am going to aim for £300 for September and try to come in under budget so I can reduce the next month.
    GC/Aug2009 296 spent/300. GC/Sept2009 62/300. £100 Clothes Challenge 100/78
  • lambananalambanana Forumite
    685 Posts
    Spent £30.83 at Mr.A yesterday bringing my total to £144.24...not quite ready to declare, I'll need another loaf before next Tuesday and possibly a little more cheese but have everything else and should come in just a smidge under budget :j
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides