August 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 August 2009 at 9:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
937 replies 98K views

Replies

• meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent €27.67 to-day, mostly on meat, brings my total spend so far to €270.31 so will have to pull in my horns for the rest of the week!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • ellemmellemm Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    This thread is fairly buzzing today! Welcome to all those joining the challenge, you will really learn a lot on here, I did and am still enjoying the challenge.....perhaps to the point of obsession ?:rotfl:

I have organised meal plans for the next 3 weeks using up what I have in the freezer as far as meat and fish are concerned, just maybe buying the odd lamb chop or steak. We go on holiday on 22nd September for 2 weeks so trying to get through the freezer stuff before then which should also keep the shopping costs down for that month.

Picked a couple of pounds of brambles yesterday and froze them for later use (don't like bramble jam/jelly, will maybe use for bramble & apple pies) but just had to pick some because they were free:j
  • fedupandskintfedupandskint Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still working my way through the freezer this week for meals. My month ends on Wed and I'll post my total then, should be close to it, cross fingers ready.
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • merlin1merlin1 Forumite
    715 Posts
    what do we do if we have family/friends visit for me meals???? :eek: i have one or the other sometimes both maybe once or twice a month? do i account it? :o
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to all the newbies :j and good luck with the challenge
    merlin1 wrote: »
    what do we do if we have family/friends visit for me meals???? :eek: i have one or the other sometimes both maybe once or twice a month? do i account it? :o

Merlin, you run your challenge in whatever way suits you best but I think most people include catering for visitors in the budget so you may need to allow extra for this? as its such a regular / frequent thing I would include it ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merlin1 wrote: »

It could make the challenge more fun! :T I know there are tons of recipes on this board, on the web in general and in frugal cookery books for entertaining on a budget. Homemade vegetable soup and fresh baked herb bread make a cheap but very tasty starter or lunch, for example. Are you family and friends big meat eaters or could you get away with semi-vegetarian options?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • kirstenckirstenc Forumite
    513 Posts
    Hi guys, went shopping on saturday, my Ffoods coupon wasnt accepted in Mr T, but dont worry I have it sorted, getting a moneycard to cover the amount lost, so I will post my total shortly when i can find my darn receipt...its my last shop of the month so will be well under budget my first month, and that included buying school uniform etc...next month the holiday clothes!!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    I must have had a feeling in my water that something was in the air :cool:
    All my stock-piling, courtesy of the newspaper vouchers over the previous week-ends, will be very VERY useful to us now.
    We've a poorly Pup who had to have a little op to remove grass seeds from the inside of his leg yesterday :( so also have the resulting bills too. We are insured, but have to pay upfront, so the offspring are all looking a tad sheepish & apologising for their sarcasm over Mumma's store cupboard :cool2: So every cloud & all that :p
    The only things we shall need for a while are milk & some bits of fish & chicken for Pup..the others can have freezer delight & lump it!
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• catherinencatherinen Forumite
    7 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post
    Thanks to everyone on this thread. Lots of good advice. I am new to the grocery challenge but really need to save some money as food takes such a big chunk of our available funds. In August I have sometimes been feeding 9, sometimes 7 and today am down to 3 for a few days so it can be hard to plan. Just put a loaf I bought yesterday in the freezer as there is no-one left to eat it! I find menu planning has really helped my budgeting and sticking to my list when I shop.
    I will work out my budget and what I am currently spending and post again soon.
    Sealed pot challenge #67
  • kipperskippers Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    We've a poorly Pup who had to have a little op to remove grass seeds from the inside of his leg yesterday :( so also have the resulting bills too. We are insured, but have to pay upfront, so the offspring are all looking a tad sheepish & apologising for their sarcasm over Mumma's store cupboard :cool2: So every cloud & all that :p

Ah..I hope he heals quickly...well done with your store cupboard.:T:T
    :j :j :j :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides