edited 20 August 2009 at 9:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
937 replies 98K views

Replies

• edited 24 August 2009 at 3:06PM
    emmab2001emmab2001 Forumite
    183 Posts
    edited 24 August 2009 at 3:06PM
    THANKS FOR THE WELCOME GUYS!!

i'm already worried about doing the BIG shop on sunday now!!lol, repeat after me have to stick to list i have to stick to the list! i think hubby will have to drag me from the desserts!!lol

foreverhopeful!! at least i know know there are others like us!!lol how bad is it for last month we must have been going in to asda or sainsburys every other day!! thinking ohh we'll just pick up some milk and coming out spending 14 quid!! madness!!!

fingers and legs and arms now all crossed that we can do this we need all spare cash to go towards a car!!

i know a should not be chatting like this in this thread but i did have a point to this post!! fire fox suggested making my baby meals but does anyone know how long is safe to freeze things for??? i'm brand new to the home freezing lark!!!

thanks xx
    :heart: My 3 boys are my world :heart:
    Grocery Challenge 2014 Jan 245.12/400 No Spend Days Jan = 3
    Mortgage Deposit saving 2430/18000
    Car tax & Insurance fund 64.55/210 needed by March
    Camping Holiday Fund £25/£153 by May
    Future Home Emergency Fund 0/3000
  • emmab2001 wrote: »
    THANKS FOR THE WELCOME GUYS!!

i'm already worried about doing the BIG shop on sunday now!!lol, repeat after me have to stick to list i have to stick to the list! i think hubby will have to drag me from the desserts!!lol

foreverhopeful!! at least i know know there are others like us!!lol how bad is it for last month we must have been going in to asda or sainsburys every other day!! thinking ohh we'll just pick up some milk and coming out spending 14 quid!! madness!!!

fingers and legs and arms now all crossed that we can do this we need all spare cash to go towards a car!!

i know a should not be chatting like this in this thread but i did have a point to this post!! fire fox suggested making my baby meals but does anyone know how long is safe to freeze things for??? i'm brand new to the home freezing lark!!!

thanks xx

I used to freeze portions for my kids and always used a month as a guideline. Much like any other food you freeze on day of purchase.

For me and the other half, I don't stick to any time guidelines really :rotfl::o
    Need to start again :o
  • kipperskippers Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pls put me down for £300 for September Mrs M, thank you
    :j :j :j :j :j
  • BoodleBoodle Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Once my DD was on solids, I just usually whizzed up whatever we were having for dinner and just added salt to ours afterwards. I don't think I ever froze anything in ice cube trays and all that to-do. I started off by whizzing up whatever veg we were having with dinner, then later on the casserole, or soup, or lasagne, etc, etc. Just thought I would share in case you found it easier this way too :)

Well so much for being only about a fiver over this month :rolleyes: The overspend did accomodate a little party I had forgotten to budget for however, so I think we did quite well all-in-all ;)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    welcome Emma,
    a friend of mine got those very small plastic tubs (just bigger than a baby food jar) and would just blitz up whatever the evening meal was and normally had about 4 portions for the baby from that, plus food for the grown ups

can i declare on £67 please mrsM, and for september i'll stick to £80 please :)

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• JanaeJanae Forumite
    177 Posts
    Hi
    Well, I've totally lost track this month and know that I have spent far too much anyway, mainly because work has been very busy and I haven't been organised enough while doing extra shifts.
    So, nothing to declare this month except total failure :o.
    September cannot be worse so that's one positive step forward - roll on Thursday for next month's challenge...

kj
    GC April 93.92/500
  • soupfansoupfan Forumite
    17 Posts
    I'm new to the forum but I'd like to be included for September's challenge.
    I'll try for £250.
    Is this for just food or for cleaning stuff too?
    *goes off to read instructions*
    Grocery Challenge (food and cleaning products).
    Sept 09 £247.35/£63.50
  • edited 24 August 2009 at 5:23PM
    takataka Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 August 2009 at 5:23PM
    soupfan wrote: »
    I'm new to the forum but I'd like to be included for September's challenge.
    I'll try for £250.
    Is this for just food or for cleaning stuff too?
    *goes off to read instructions*

Welcome! :D Its up to you what you want to include! Personally I include cleaning and basic (essential) toiletries too. Whatever works for you really...

Ohhhh I've just spotted its your 1st ever post! :T :hello: Welcome to the madness! :money:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • merlin1merlin1 Forumite
    715 Posts
    :hello:

please could i join for september?! my household consists of me, my oh, and my 10 (nearly [STRIKE]18[/STRIKE]11) year old son, and not forgetting my collie boy.

we weekly shop, me and other half hold separate personal accounts, and we have an account for the house - all bills go out of this one, but we take it in turns to do the weekly shop + the topups i call em - milk bread etc.

i'll be interested to see how our shopping goes from now on, as we've just started online shoppping, i noticed we arent actually buying what we dont need, can check the cupboards, and my heads not turned while walking the isles! ;)

i'm guessing our shopping for last month was around the £320** mark - all in, apart from our drinks, CIGGIES:o and thats 3 shops instore and the one online i did this past saturday.

my goal will have to alter according to how many saturdays in a month!!!!

our main shop always includes cleaning and toiletries stuff. i would like to aim for ££280?

:o:confused::rotfl:

**i hereby promise to save up all receipts and add them up at the close of play 30th september 2009. i shall be forgiven for swearing on this date and i shall also be forgiven for collapsing on the floor, crawling into a darkened corner, and rocking quietly to myself whislt mumbling something along the lines of 'i have no idea what i spend, i have been careless with my spend..... '......... **
  • soupfansoupfan Forumite
    17 Posts
    taka wrote: »

Ohhhh I've just spotted its your 1st ever post! :T :hello: Welcome to the madness! :money:

Thanks!
    I'm a Tightwad Gazette-er... my husband calls me Amy when I get too extreme for him!
    OK, £250 it will be. September is complicated by my birthday, his birthday, my mum's 75th and a trip to London for 3 days for work, but I'll see what I can do.
    Grocery Challenge (food and cleaning products).
    Sept 09 £247.35/£63.50
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES