PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ark Property Solicitors

Options

Comments

• Littlemadam83
    Options
    Does this mean all their customers could be facing more charges?

Nightmare xxx
  • Littlemadam83
    Options
    Argh, I too got a letter this morning saying they are looking into my transaction. There must be thousands of people getting these.

We were first time buyers with a property worth of £85,000 so we wont get hit with a Stamp Duty charge will we?

I cannot believe what that company have done. Am actually glad the cowboys have been shut down x
  • movingon
    movingon Posts: 533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received this letter too and now I am terrified. Looking on the web it seems HMRC can charge interest on SDLT payments not made and penalties up to 100% of the original charge. Also, this can trigger investigation into the purchaser's previous tax affairs and for the future as well.
    I have looked into my original paperwork, and it is full of disclaimers from Arc about referring me to a tax consultant (ie another branch of their own firm) for advice about SDLT.
    I should have known better, I admit, but I just wanted to get on with the house move and trusted them to just get on with the paperwork and legals.
  • Littlemadam83
    Options
    movingon wrote: »
    I received this letter too and now I am terrified. Looking on the web it seems HMRC can charge interest on SDLT payments not made and penalties up to 100% of the original charge. Also, this can trigger investigation into the purchaser's previous tax affairs and for the future as well.
    I have looked into my original paperwork, and it is full of disclaimers from Arc about referring me to a tax consultant (ie another branch of their own firm) for advice about SDLT.
    I should have known better, I admit, but I just wanted to get on with the house move and trusted them to just get on with the paperwork and legals.

Was your house over the £125,000 threshold? I've just read into it. Did you pay anything to HMRC for land tax just after you completed?

What a nightmare xxx
  • movingon
    movingon Posts: 533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 December 2013 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Yes, the house cost more than the threshold. I have a bill that says I paid the tax, but I have also found some other paperwork about tax savings, which I do not understand, and fear that this is where the problem lies. Also, it is my understanding that Arc/Abode was supposed to pay clients' monies to HMRC etc, but did not do so.
  • Ap_hazard_42
    Options
    Delt with this firm in 2008, then found later down the line that they had not done the job correctly. Difficult to contact, rude when we did get to speak to someone.

Today we received a letter from the government telling us the stamp duty in connection with this firm is under investigation and they have been closed down.

Has anyone else had this letter or similar pls?

Thanks in advance
  • Assistant
    Options
    I have called HMRC, whom explained it is not them who are dealing with Arc, it is a solicitors. I have paid my Stamp duty and I have a receipt from Arc stating this. Surely I cannot be charged twice. The company should be charged?
  • Assistant
    Options
    Delt with this firm in 2008, then found later down the line that they had not done the job correctly. Difficult to contact, rude when we did get to speak to someone.

Today we received a letter from the government telling us the stamp duty in connection with this firm is under investigation and they have been closed down.

Has anyone else had this letter or similar pls?

Thanks in advance

Hi I too received this letter. I have looked into this via the web. The company were in trouble on November 2012.

I am so worried about this, surely we cannot be liable for something we have already paid. Mine in Sept 2011
  • Assistant
    Options
    On the SRA website, there is also reference to a prosecution of Abode Solicitors, dated October 1 last year and published on August 27 this year. It refers to a decision to take the firm to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. Allegations include failure to act in the best interests of lender and purchaser clients and allowing its client bank account to be used as a banking facility.
  • d_dickinson
    Options
    I've just found this link that may be of interest to this group, as I've just joined it won't let me post a link, but if you paste this into your browser, it'll go to the correct site. It may answer some of the more recent questions on letters from HMRC.

old.estateagenttoday.co.uk/news_features/Big-conveyancing-firm-is-shut-down-by-legal-regulator
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure