PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ark Property Solicitors

Options

Comments

• torturedbyarc
    Options
    I am going through a completion as of March 2013 and Melanie is my case handler, however the bad reviews are all of similar nature because they are true. I have had such a bad experience where my solicitor should have done most of the work I had to do it myself. For example they never bothered checking if my property was excempt from stam study I had to do this myself after receiving their invoice. They never tell you the anticipated completion day and drag the matter as far as possible because today I found out it is not one person dealing with your file but a number of people and this is why it takes so long. People end up losing their sales or purchases as a result of their slow system. Im now worried as people I'm buying from might pull out due to the time they are taking. I should have used someone local. They are not cheap and charge you hidden fees like if your title of deed is more than 2 pages they will charge you extra 100 for this on your bill. I finally complained and copied Melanie in and when I said I will pay extra for the completion to take place I received a call back from her and you could tell from the tone of her voice that she had an attitude as to why I complained. I'm paying them to do this work and surely this is not what you should expect. They are acting on my behalf but it seems they are working against me. I am writing to the Ombudsmen and I advice that who ever has a bad experience should also do so. Read the case studies on the SRA site and you can see what sort of complaints they have managed to resolve. Also there was a case registed with ombudsmen ref 201104601 so mention it in your letter.

It is not worth the stress they have caused, they are unprofessional and I think it is also worth checking the status of the solicitors dealing with the case. I will be demanding the qualifications of Melanie French because I believe ARC solicitors are either new to this type of work or really dont know what they are doing. I'm worried now if they checked everything as they should have done. They never respond on time and also their online case update to follow your case is also a load of rubbish because it is never updated. I hope I can see an end to this matter and a lesson learnt I will google everything in the future to avoid such stress
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So many newbies!!

For the record, I'm also using them, have had no problems so far - will let you know how things go on.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • SomebodyL
    Options
    My son's seller is currently using Arc. So far it has taken 6 months and we haven't even exchanged. Our solicitor has written to them this week asking that the file be transferred from the person dealing with it there. Everyone is ready to exchange and all are waiting for Arc. I can't stress how much everyone needs to avoid this firm. All the people that have successfully completed their transaction are lucky and in the minority. There is still no end in sight for us. The seller has constantly contacted Arc to ask that they deal with the paperwork and has been lied to and told that it has been sent off (our solicitor having received nothing). I think this must be the longest purchase/sale ever! Anyone have a transaction using them that has taken in excess of 6 months? I can only say to everyone if you want your sale/purchase to go through on an average timescale DO NOT USE ARC!!!
  • swaledaleslots
    Options
    in all my years of dealing with so called professionals, this company comes next to bottom of my list, after my ex wife's useless, incompetent and greedy divorce solicitor.
    They are hopeless at just about every level ( sorry to some of those pleasant people who work there) and changing the name of the company will not work for long.
    Moving house is stressful enough without the people you pay money to acting without a care in the world, and tomorrow or next week will do. Dealing with ARC has made me ill, sick with worry and lead to thoughts of extreme violence against them. They deserve to fail as a business and I sincerely wish them ill will. If I had more years left in my life I would love to drive them out of business.
    If you have started any dealings already, STOP NOW, write off any money spent and find a proper solicitor.
  • EmilyNa
    Options
    what I've seen here, it's very true.

I bought a small one bed flat last year with them. the ARC solicitors is absolute unbelievable rubbish. They do not know how to do the job, and just ignore me. If I did DIY that time would save my time and stress and would be less things went wrong.

Firstly, it took them SIX month to close the deal, SIX month for a cash buyer? and they did not do any search as I asked. and they did not even tell me the property was sold with the current tenant.
    On the contract Arc gave me to sign it's "with vacant possession on completion" but before the completion date, I went to check the property, somebody was still in, and the vendor had noticed Arc in written, even the contract says, but the tenant would stay. so I became homeless because their mistake, It was a very stressful week for me. (the Arc had no idea of this, till the completion day was due, they told me that, and if I do not complete the transfer, I would loss the 10% deposit. I could leave the completion and sue them, but I would loss an idea flat, and get more stress on the case suing Arc, so I compromised, but you can image the situation.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    PLEASE AVOID AVOID AVOID ARC Solicitors, if you don't believe me, check more on google web.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After I bought the flat, I though everything would finish, even the post completion was dragged too long as well (TWO month) I did not want to report their POOR performer their mistake, I just wanted to sort out my things, get on and move.
    Until recently, I received a bill over £4000 for repairs from the management company ( the flat is L/H), the management company told me my solicitors would advice me about that, because they had informed them before the purchasing.

My solicitor Arc, had not adviced me anything, each time when I called them, the person who deal with my case was in meeting or on another line, they promised to call me back but they never did. When I informed them, I was going to leave them, then they sent me all the documents for me to sign, and told me they've been busy on my case, now it's the time to close the deal.

BECAUSE ARC, I loss SIX month to to move in, and this £4000 unknown bills waiting to pay.

They are unbelievable incompetent.
    I really could not image what else could go wrong.

Today, I write this here and rate Arc Property Solicitors, I believe it's all true and I have been fair with them.

(I have even lunched a complain with them, the person who was dealing with, Katie Allport, never really got back to me, and the director Raj Ali, I have to say, he's very good at sophistry, hopeless, totally hopeless).

What ever happen now, it's too late for me to walk out and re-do it, but just wish somebody else do not be fooled by their rating and promising on their OWN website. Do some more digging.
  • Larsterkk
    Options
    Unfortunately my parents are already with Arc because of the price. Needless to say the lack of response is worrying even though we are not in a rush. Does anyone have a direct number that will get through to them? All the contact numbers on their site just go through to answerphone. My parents will most likely do a charge back on the credit card and go with someone local.

Thanks in advance,

Lara
  • Speakerman
    Speakerman Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 September 2013 at 10:25AM
    Options
    I walked into a pit of snakes when I employed this firm, Google Abode Solicitors... read about them on Wikipedia get a feel for how things are. Also, read google reviews under Action Conveyancing.
  • Betzie
    Options
    AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!

I HAVE JUST READ ON LINE THAT THE RUMOUR IS THAT THEY HAVE CEASED TRADING! I CANT VERIFY THIS AT THE MOMENT, BUT I WILL TRY.

We have had a terrible time dealing with Action Conveyancing, and I would recommend as we have had to do that you dis instruct them and instruct someone closer to home, a reputable solicitor.

These people really messed our purchase up and then the sale due to lack of activity on the cases, and the then what seems the norm for these cowboys and girls with no communication with me at all, or other solicitors and estate agents involved in my sale/purchase.

PLEASE AVOID, WITHDRAW/DIS INSTRUCT IMMEDIATELY...:(
  • zarf2007
    Options
    Betzie wrote: »
    AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!

I HAVE JUST READ ON LINE THAT THE RUMOUR IS THAT THEY HAVE CEASED TRADING! I CANT VERIFY THIS AT THE MOMENT, BUT I WILL TRY.

We have had a terrible time dealing with Action Conveyancing, and I would recommend as we have had to do that you dis instruct them and instruct someone closer to home, a reputable solicitor.

These people really messed our purchase up and then the sale due to lack of activity on the cases, and the then what seems the norm for these cowboys and girls with no communication with me at all, or other solicitors and estate agents involved in my sale/purchase.

PLEASE AVOID, WITHDRAW/DIS INSTRUCT IMMEDIATELY...:(

Hi,

Where did you read they had ceased trading? I am having major problems with them...
  • Assistant
    Options
    Hi
    I used ARC in 2011 for my house purchase. I today received a letter from HMRC informing me that ARC have stopped trading following action taken by the Solisitors Regulation Authority.

HMRC are now carrying out a review of the SDLT returns submitted by the firm on behalf of their client?

Arghhhh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport