We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…6364666869…235

Comments

  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    jonkong wrote: »
    your Network Operator ends the Airtime Contract in accordance with its terms (including not limited to
    where you have failed to fulfill your payment obligations during the Minimum Period)
    It's as obvious as it can be, I believe, that this is what applies here.
    or (iv) you end the Airtime Contract for
    any reason within 9 months (if your Minimum Period is 12 months or more) or within your Minimum Period (if your Minimum
    Period is less than 12 months)
    ,

    It clear states within 9 months, so for people 9 months plus, like myself if I cancel next week, don't have to return their phones. Or is this not correct?
    Sorry, I should have been more explicit on this point - after 9 months, you are correct.
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi,

    As per the T&Cs, cancelling your contract within the minimum term is not possible with a discounted handset and/or free gift.

    If your contract is cancelled. liability for the full cost of the handset and free gift falls on you. We have been to court in this exact situation numerous times (when customers are disconnected) and haven't lost yet - hence my advice to read our T&Cs again and understand your situation.

    Like I said, I'm discussing this with Orange and hope to have a definitive answer soon but the situation currently is exactly as described; you have agreed to fulfil the minimum term (12, 18 or 24 months) and you have also agreed if you do not you will pay for the handset and free gift. This is the basis of your agreement with Mobiles and is entirely unrelated to your airtime agreement.

    I agree, you can cancel with Orange, but you have agreed not to because you got a £300 handset and a £200 games console/laptop/line rental discount FREE.

    The changes to Orange's pricing are hardly substantial - you'd have to use all your minutes in a month and then make 8 phones calls of less than a minute to even have your bill change by £1.



    hi ben
    in your t& c it does not say anthing about returning FREE gifts? or paying to you the equivalant of FREE gifts? in fact it says nothing about FREE gifts whatsoever?
    so why should these have to be returned if contract is cancelled early? and if your phone is free and you want the equivalant cost of phone then how much does free cost?
  • marty1888
    marty1888 Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2009 at 3:15PM
    Hi,

    As per the T&Cs, cancelling your contract within the minimum term is not possible with a discounted handset and/or free gift.

    If your contract is cancelled. liability for the full cost of the handset and free gift falls on you. We have been to court in this exact situation numerous times (when customers are disconnected) and haven't lost yet - hence my advice to read our T&Cs again and understand your situation.

    Like I said, I'm discussing this with Orange and hope to have a definitive answer soon but the situation currently is exactly as described; you have agreed to fulfil the minimum term (12, 18 or 24 months) and you have also agreed if you do not you will pay for the handset and free gift. This is the basis of your agreement with Mobiles and is entirely unrelated to your airtime agreement.

    I agree, you can cancel with Orange, but you have agreed not to because you got a £300 handset and a £200 games console/laptop/line rental discount FREE.

    The changes to Orange's pricing are hardly substantial - you'd have to use all your minutes in a month and then make 8 phones calls of less than a minute to even have your bill change by £1.

    How can you charge for a "FREE Gift"?
  • paulmx3
    paulmx3 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Hi,

    As per the T&Cs, cancelling your contract within the minimum term is not possible with a discounted handset and/or free gift.
    [/QUOTE}]

    the only thing is your site does'nt mention how much a handset is discounted by or that it is indeed discounted it just mentions its price.

    also when a retailor avertises a price and someone offers to purchase at that it is up to you to refuse or accept there offer to buy.

    and also what exactly are you on about with the return of the value of the free gift....can you explain this to me as i thought all free gifts where the same price....

    i got my phone direct from orange,so you jibbering on has no effect on me whatsoever apart from providng a little amusement on what would otherwise be a pretty boring day.

    but i can certainly say,as many would by reading your posts that you are not really a company to want to deal with.
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    edited 4 August 2009 at 3:12PM
    paulmx3 wrote: »
    but i can certainly say,as many would by reading your posts that you are not really a company to want to deal with.

    Fairly obviously the reverse is also true, so I'm not sure why you're arguing with me? I'm just here trying to help our customers understand the implications of this Orange move so to be accused of "jibbering on" by someone who isn't a customer is slightly strange.
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jase301
    jase301 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Who's doing this? Curious.

    I think you will all find if you read the T&Cs for every single mobile phone retailer they are all identical when it comes to early disconnection, and customers of any of them will have a shock if Orange have said otherwise.

    The only difference between ourselves and A.N.Other retailer is that I'm here explaining what the implications of early termination can be.

    Ben
    Quoted from 'Bailz' from HotUKDeals Misc Forum;

    Well it went pretty well been on phone to DialaPhone and they said that I will not occur any charges with them if cancelled contract with Orange as i am over the 7 days period from beggining of contract.

    Neither do i have to send my phone back to them. (broken anyway)


    Quoted from 'Demolisher' from HotUKDeals Misc forum;

    "just spoke to a guy from orange, apparently phones 4 u and CPW are contacting there customers and advicing them to cancel there contracts and then come back into store for a new contract."

    There are more like these if you search through the discussion boards on this topic. People who have already cancelled and been given a new deal thru the store and written proof that they aren't going to take the handset back.
  • I completely understand mobiles.co.uk standpoint, they've been sh*t upon as well by orange, and obviously want to lose as little as possible because of this. However potentially the consumer has lost out even more, because we either continue with Orange or stump up money for the handsets. Please clarify your position asap!
  • paulmx3
    paulmx3 Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2009 at 3:09PM
    Fairly obviously the reverse is also true.

    as i dont own or run a company i take that as a personal insult which is uncalled for.

    by the way as you say your terms and conitions state that if your customer end there contract you want goods back.

    as it stands the contract as it was is being ended by orange due to them changing terms and conditions so your problem is with them.

    now you may have come on here with good intentions,maybe a few of your customers may have cancelled at a loss to yourself,but,you seem to have gone to great legnths in ensuring that you paint as bad a picture for your company as possible where the few who may have cancelled would in all probability would come back to you.

    in all fairness do you think that is still the case.
  • manny202
    manny202 Posts: 16 Forumite
    BEN can you clear 2 questions up for us ?? How much is a FREE handset?? and how much is a FREE gift???
  • It's as obvious as it can be, I believe, that this is what applies here.Sorry, I should have been more explicit on this point - after 9 months, you are correct.

    Ben,

    I know you're being fired questions at from every angle. Can I please have your word that I wouldn't have to return the handset if I cancel the contract after 9 months... which means just another week for me...:D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.