We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…6162646667…235

Comments

  • johannab
    johannab Posts: 86 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Hello all,

    may I join in..?

    I am 10 months into an 18 month contract with ORANGE and mobiles.co.uk.

    I paid for my phone (£80) and got a free gift ( playstation) when I took out the contract (10 months ago).

    Where do I stand? I ask this mainly to the Mobiles.co.uk rep. Can you tell me in plain English what Mobiles.co.uk expects of me if I cancel my orange contract?

    Thanks to anyone with any insight into all this mess.:eek:

    Jo
  • When I phoned the customer services they informed me that I could either pay £500 or send the phone back, I asked them to send me an email to back this up and have heard nothing.
  • NMB
    NMB Posts: 157 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2009 at 1:52PM

    See section 4.2;


    Quote:
    Irrespective of delivery and the passing of risk in the Equipment, or any other provision of these conditions, the ownership of the
    Equipment shall not pass to you until (i) we have received in cash or cleared funds payment in full for the price of the Equipment and
    all other Equipment agreed to be sold by us to you for which payment is then due and (ii) you have made all payments due under your
    Airtime Contract for the Minimum Period, if you acquired your Mobile Phone/Smart Phone on the basis that you enter into a Airtime
    Contract.
    Regards,

    Due to Orange changing the t&c's of the contract the minimum period has been completed and all payments made. The contract contained a clause to vary the minimum term and this has now been activated. Mobile.co.uk were aware of the provisions for the airtime contract being changed by Orange when they sold the phone/airtime deal - as mobiles.co.uk have stated, obviously everybody knows the exact t&c's of the contract they are entering into.

    Whilst I have sympathy for mobiles.co.uk's position its for them to claim for compensation from Orange for the loss to them due to the their change in t&c's - but thats never going to happen so they'll attempt to take the easy option and recoup what they can from the consumer.
  • jase301
    jase301 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Well i think we should all just cancel and let them take us all to the small claims court, if they aren't going to be helpful in any way.
    This is a massive change to the contract as a whole, albeit they didnt change it themselves, and any court would take the view this is unfair to the customer.
    There's no way im paying the new charges anyway, so something needs to be sorted, and soon.
  • paulmx3
    paulmx3 Posts: 135 Forumite
    johannab wrote: »
    Hello all,

    may I join in..?

    I am 10 months into an 18 month contract with ORANGE and mobiles.co.uk.

    I paid for my phone (£80) and got a free gift ( playstation) when I took out the contract (10 months ago).

    Where do I stand? I ask this mainly to the Mobiles.co.uk rep. Can you tell me in plain English what Mobiles.co.uk expects of me if I cancel my orange contract?

    Thanks to anyone with any insight into all this mess.:eek:

    Jo

    well,you paid the required price for the phone and the definition of a free gift is...

    A gift or a present is the transfer of something, without the need for compensation that is involved in trade. A gift is a voluntary act which does not require anything in return. Even though it involves possibly a social expectation of reciprocity, or a return in the form of prestige or power, a gift is meant to be free.


    so id say you can cancel,keep YOUR phone and the lovely FREE gift they gave you.
  • You are confusing the value with what you got the item for. You may well have got the phone free, but its actual value (i.e. its rrp, or cost new) is pretty obviously quite considerably higher :)
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2009 at 2:17PM
    So do you get to keep the phones if you cancel your contracts if you got the phone free??
    :beer:
  • manny202
    manny202 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Just spoke to orange, an they said a 2nd text will be doing the rounds at the end of august explaining that if you cancel the company you bought the phone off can legally claw back the money for the handset under rule 3.1.1, he said something about the handset being subsidised by the company. He said you can cancel but will have to return the handset.
  • macima
    macima Posts: 17 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2009 at 2:25PM
    Regarding June contracts, my wife renewed her contact on June 10th 2009 and today received the text - haven't rung up to cancel yet, but a good sign for those who signed up after 31st May.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    clarke1983 wrote: »
    PLEASE can someone help me iv gone through all the previous posts but no hasnt asked about the people who are on the 'comes with music' tarriff would i be able to disconect for free as i cant find anywhere if the new prices will effect me or not, cheers


    Did you get the text?
    Why would it not affect you?

    It's about price of calls. Nothing to do with music download. I suppose you still call??
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.