We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…154155157159160…235

Comments

  • hazelalexa
    hazelalexa Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 12:09PM
    I've been with Orange on Dolphin 15 (24 month contract, 100 minutes, unlimited texts, £15) since last November... would I be able to cancel my contract on the basis of these price changes? I only use around 300 texts and 5 inclusive minutes per month so the charges really wouldn't affect me. I just can't really afford the bill each month (I'm a student) and have wanted to cancel my contract since I got it (impulse decision, I used to use about a text a day) but also don't want to buy myself out.

    I should probably add that I've already dealt with Orange in the past and they were very helpful... they were adding an extra £5 bundle on to my contract each month that I didn't request (but didn't opt out of either). They cancelled it and refunded me the money I'd already paid.
  • u01jet4
    u01jet4 Posts: 338 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 12:13PM
    hazelalexa wrote: »
    I've been with Orange on Dolphin 15 (24 month contract, 100 minutes, unlimited texts, £15) since last November... would I be able to cancel my contract on the basis of these price changes? I only use around 300 texts and 5 inclusive minutes per month so the charges really wouldn't affect me. I just can't really afford the bill each month (I'm a student) and have wanted to cancel my contract since I got it (impulse decision, I used to use about a text a day) but also don't want to buy myself out.

    I should probably add that I've already dealt with Orange in the past and they were very helpful... they were adding an extra £5 bundle on to my contract each month that I didn't request (but didn't opt out of either). They cancelled it and refunded me the money I'd already paid.

    no harm trying, from talk of eligibility and criteria it sound unlikely but who knows what will happen over the next 12 months? ask them how they can predict whether or not you will need those numbers or minutes in the future as you certainly cant! maybe wait a day or two and keep an eye on this forum cos there might be some major changes.
  • u01jet4 wrote: »
    thanks, so you phone ofcom, complain, get a ref number, phone ceo, get disconnected, badaboom badabing?

    Almost! It worked for me today, thank the relevant deities and folks on here, but some are saying they still come unstuck at the last hurdle.

    Ofcom will take basic info about your situation (that you want to cancel, have been told you can't, why not, etc.) and your name and address. The ref number is not actually that important right now, it's so that if Ofcom decide to pursue Orange they can track what's been happening to your case since you spoke to them, but Ofcom at the moment aren't taking action, they're just collecting data and seeing what the scale of the problem is.

    When you phone CEO they'll take the ref number, and if you're lucky they'll forward you to retentions, who may or may not do the whole eligibility check thing again, and may or may not actually disconnect you! It seems it's pretty random at the moment, but many are saying they've succeeded today even though last week they were told they failed the test because they didn't make enough calls. YOU STILL HAVE TO BE ON A PRE-JULY CONTRACT though - people whose contract mentioned the new prices at the point they signed up are NOT being allowed to cancel, and rightly so.

    It does seem that when CEO transfers you to retentions, they tell them something about what you're asking for, so you're not starting from scratch like you do if you call 150. My guy just said "hello, so you want to disconnect - are you keeping your number?"

    If you're on hold for the CEO number for more than 15 mins, hang up and call back - they don't have a proper queue system, and you'll probably get through right away of you redial a few times. I have a feeling if the CEO lines are all busy you're dropped into a Leona-Lewis-flavored black hole.


    (cancelled today, phone will die at midnight tomorrow. Got the text, didn't make qualifying calls on all last 3 bills, initially refused three times.)
  • u01jet4 wrote: »
    no harm trying, from talk of eligibility and criteria it sound unlikely but who knows what will happen over the next 12 months? ask them how they can predict whether or not you will need those numbers or minutes in the future as you certainly cant! maybe wait a day or two and keep an eye on this forum cos there might be some major changes.

    You make a good point! Thank you.
    What kind of major changes?
  • u01jet4
    u01jet4 Posts: 338 Forumite
    thanks CassieL. I got told last night that if I've not received the text by tomorrow to call back, so I guess I'll just hold off till then so at least they don't fob me off with that line. and if they try to fob me off with that line I will be quoting bitterwallet mad as that link was really helpful! just want to move to O2 already, much better deals!
  • Hi, Register just to comment.

    Tried yesterday but was told I could not cancel.
    Tried this morning, rung the ceo office, had a nice chat and explained the changes would effect me in the future yadayada.....Got put through to another girl who tried to offer me some different tarrifs (no thanks) and was told I could be cancelled- got the pac code texted to me before I got off the phone!

    Not once did they mention 3 months of call records, call allowance or 08 numbers, just tried to talk me out of going by mentioning other network charges etc.

    Keep trying people, they seem to be caving in!
  • u01jet4 wrote: »
    just want to move to O2 already, much better deals!

    Ain't that the truth... SIM only's are far better.... Especially with the £7 data package!

    EDIT: They wouldn't text me the PAC code, though...
  • Sorry, forgot to mention.
    Not had the text, never gone over my minutes and only called about 10 o8 numbers in 7 months.
  • A-Trice
    A-Trice Posts: 51 Forumite
    if only it's that easy for everyone
  • u01jet4
    u01jet4 Posts: 338 Forumite
    hazelalexa wrote: »
    You make a good point! Thank you.
    What kind of major changes?

    oh I don't know, but the fact that it could affect everyone and that even people who havent gone over their minutes in years may suddenly need to. they may end up just having to bite the bullet and let everyone cancel who wants to. That's really what they should be doing according to their t's and c's!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.