We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…123124126128129…235

Comments

  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 635 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    I am no lawyer but I believe Orange will have to back track on this issue. They are obviously telling porkies to avoid an even bigger exodus than has happened during the past week. They have, IMO, changed customers contracts without their permission and the changes are outside their own Terms and Conditions which customers agree to when taking out the contract. They are hoping that those who have been wrongly refused their right to cancel will not pursue that right and many will not.

    I am one of the lucky ones who managed to cancel before the crack down.

    Don't give up. I believe they will have to relent very soon.
  • robot1000
    robot1000 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    A-Trice wrote: »
    Robot this official then ?
    I've called Orange using the phone number and case number provided by Orange, and they after they spoke to the disconnections team, they informed me I can't cancel because I haven't exceeded my minutes. I quoted the UK LAW DIRECTIVE and the terms in the contract, and the advisor would now be looking into it for me.
  • rj1000
    rj1000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    I am no lawyer but I believe Orange will have to back track on this issue. They are obviously telling porkies to avoid an even bigger exodus than has happened during the past week. They have, IMO, changed customers contracts without their permission and the changes are outside their own Terms and Conditions which customers agree to when taking out the contract. They are hoping that those who have been wrongly refused their right to cancel will not pursue that right and many will not.

    I am one of the lucky ones who managed to cancel before the crack down.

    Don't give up. I believe they will have to relent very soon.

    Surely all they'll do is backtrack on the increased charges and leave as is?
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    robot1000 wrote: »
    That sounds very interesting, but the only problem is that the call centre staff are a bunch of half-wits (no offence to any orange staff readers on this forum) and will just keep saying no and be extremely patronising, and therefore there's nothing else to do but write a complaint letter

    So you insult people like me, and then say "no offence" to any staff reading this.

    Been in the business since 1995, with a degree in Telecommunications behind me.

    Yeah, I'm a real half-wit! :rolleyes:
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • I rang up to cancel, just saying that it was getting too pricey after the T+C change (my contract ends the end of Nov, and I do go over my mins), was paying £35 for 400 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet, now got new phone on the way and paying £15 a month for 800 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.
  • just called orange again and told them I had spoken to ofcom this morning (havnt yet couldn't get through) said I had a reference number and had loged a complaint, he said again I couldn't cancel as I hadn't made any calls outside of my minutes that lasted less than 30 seconds!!
    but I asked up to what point did people have the right to cancel if they wer eligible and he said 30 days from getting the text from orange.
    I asked if I did make such a call and it showed on my next bill (7 days from now) would I be eligible then, he tried some waffle about "deliberately" making such a call in order to get a cancelation wouldn't be allowed!!!!!
    I said but thats my right to do so if I wish surely???
    he then said well yes I suppose it is. Think they are making this up as it goes along
    Told me to put it in writing
  • CassieL
    CassieL Posts: 9 Forumite
    rj1000 wrote: »
    Surely all they'll do is backtrack on the increased charges and leave as is?

    That's what they should have done when they first noticed the mess they've made, but I have a feeling it's too late now. If they backtrack, what happens to all the folks who've managed to cancel specifically because of the change? Would they now be forced to un-cancel (if that's a word...)?
  • A-Trice
    A-Trice Posts: 51 Forumite
    Right

    Official Word

    Just got off the phone with OFCOM on the number ROBOT posted.

    I spoke to a great guy called Darren, who agreed with me totally in my frustration, basically comes down to this under OFCOMS guidline, general condition 9.3 we are in the right to be able, there is nothing in ofcoms guidelines regarding the previous months usage or eligability. I heavily advise everyone who's been refused ring ofcom immidiatly and let them log your complaint, you will be given an Ofcom Orange Referal number to call..

    Everyone with issues call Ofcom, your in the right so do it immidiatly.
  • Jadeytee
    Jadeytee Posts: 171 Forumite
    Hi all, Sorry I know this will have been said in lots of posts up until now, but its taking a bit more brain power than I have to figure it out.

    I'm on a £35 a month contract with insurance and all of that, but it ends up costing me £42 a month with paying via Debit card or something.

    I dont go over my minutes and I never ever use the internet, (even had it blocked on my phone) because I've got a stupid HTC phone that thinks its funny to connect all the time.

    Can I get mine cancelled?
    Wins for 2013: Cafetiere (£40), Mangajo Drinks, Alan Partridge goodies
  • A-Trice wrote: »
    Right

    Official Word

    Just got off the phone with OFCOM on the number ROBOT posted.

    I spoke to a great guy called Darren, who agreed with me totally in my frustration, basically comes down to this under OFCOMS guidline, general condition 9.3 we are in the right to be able, there is nothing in ofcoms guidelines regarding the previous months usage or eligability. I heavily advise everyone who's been refused ring ofcom immidiatly and let them log your complaint, you will be given an Ofcom Orange Referal number to call..

    Everyone with issues call Ofcom, your in the right so do it immidiatly.

    Thanks

    I too have just spoken to a very helpful guy who told me to put in writing and demand that they release me from the contract due to the fact that any increase more than 10% is materially detrimental to your rights.

    He also confirmed that they have had no contact with Orange and further not agreed anything with Orange.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.