Stay away from myhermes delivery company - total quack company

Options

Comments

• techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    I must admit I was thinking of bidding on an item on EBay recently but when I saw that the seller uses Hermes I decided against it. Very expensive, and terrible service in my experience!

Expensive? I posted a large item through their shop drop of service yesterday - just over £4. About £16 with Royal Mail.

I told someone to use it the other day and they wrote the address on it and are now having a go because the item took a week. Not her fault she didn't have a printer and could not put a proper label on with a barcode.

Im surprised the driver even took it (first one refused) - and even more surprised it arrived today.

I must admit though - they are my last choice - but only because if your not in you cannot arrange redelivery - they just try again when they feel like it.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    techspec wrote: »
    Expensive? I posted a large item through their shop drop of service yesterday - just over £4. About £16 with Royal Mail.
    This seller was charging a fiver for postage (using hermes), and the item being sold was a jumper!
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never had a problem with Hermes over the last 8 years, unlike some other couriers. My Wife buys from Next and Dot Perkins and I buy from Cotton Traders on a regular basis and have never had a problem, probably depends on the Hermes agent, fortunately mine is excellent.
  • samsmoot
    samsmoot Posts: 736 Forumite
    Options
    Having used this company three times, and wanting to continue to use them, I'm not too sure now...

My experience has been that they are very good, but as there seems to be a lot of issues I'm not too sure now.

If they lose stuff you get compensation - right? And I have no bother making a court claim if I need to, so moneywise I don't fear a lot - just would hate to disappoint any ebay buyers and get negative feedback if they !!!! up.

So all-in-all I don't know.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    This seller was charging a fiver for postage (using hermes), and the item being sold was a jumper!

Thats because you don't use a courier for a jumper. It would have been the same price to post 20.
  • Andykins
    Options
    My experience of sending 2 parcels with Myhermes:

In October I purchased the 2-5kg parcel courier service on a Thursday evening at 6pm for an item I sold on ebay. Next morning (Friday) about 9.30am, the courier arrived to pick up my parcel as arranged. By Monday evening I had received very positive feedback on eBay from my buyer. I could not be happier with the service they provided and it had cost less than half what RM would have charged.

So far so good!

Then 2 weeks ago, I needed to send some library books back to my university library as I am living away from uni ATM. I had done this without any problem in the past using RM. Of course, I was now aware of Myhermes who were much cheaper and I'd already had a very good experience with them. Better still, in the intervening month between then and the last parcel, Myhemes had opened up 2 parcel shops in my town which offer even cheaper rates than the courier service.

So I purchased the 2-5kg Parcelshop service, this time with the 'signed for' option, so I presumed I was even safer than before. I didn't feel the need to buy insurance as I thought Signed For would be enough. A week later and my parcel had not arrived. Strangely, judging from the tracking, it had appeared to have gone all over the place, seemingly from courier to depot to courier to then another courier (??). The final entry is 'Out for Delivery' - my university library is open 24/7 at the moment so they cannot be out for delivery and certainly not at 9am when the delivery attempt was made.

I used the online web chat feature to talk to someone on Friday (8 days after I dropped my parcel off at Parcelshop) and they said they would investigate and email me on Monday. Got an email on Tuesday morning saying that the parcel was now lost and that I had to fill in a claim form...

I am perplexed as to how a large parcel weighing nearly 5kg can simply be "lost" but I digress. I am not sure what my next move should be now. I will need to ring up the library and see what they say. No doubt send me a whopping bill as academic books aren't cheap. I didn't buy insurance so am only covered up to £25 by myHermes. A fine for one of the books is increasingly daily and someone at uni in need of that book can't have it. I am praying that the parcel is going to turn up but somehow I doubt it. If anyone has any advice what to do, let me know.
  • Buster_Danog
    Options
    Were you expecting to be able to view the signature of the recipient online or something?? I was thinking of using their service, but with it sounding this unprofessional I will probably avoid it.

This is starting to make sense. I once had a delivery from Uniqlo which was left outside my door. A £50 jumper, and I live in a block of flats. The delivery man just didn't give a hoot.
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Ok my experience in the last few weeks has been dismal.

Ok they are very cheap.
    However I watch the drivers from my security cameras and a good portion of them treat the parcels very badly just throwing them into the back of the van or car in some occasions.

Delivery times can be a bit erratic but on the whole they seem to do a good job.

Some of the drivers seems to be as thick as pigsh** on some occasions not having the braincell god gave them to figure out which house to deliver to or to be able to open a simple gate -very frustrating especially when you have to explain this to a customer.

Number two - have a look at their exclusions for insurance / breakages first before you post anything - its quite extensive it seems that they dont actually cover anything at all - electrical goods especially. Really have a look at the small print before you use them.

Having just sent a couple of items last week and two arrived completely smashed to pieces (a George Foreman Grill) Someone must have jumped on the thing to break it it was so badly damaged so I lost the rag - emailed their customer service and got fobbed off with the usual electrical goods arent covered under the insurance and directed to the smallprint.

I therefor threatened them with watchdog and to go on every blog , website and forum and trash the company - as a computer expert it is well within my powers to do some damage what with my 500 or so followers on twitter , facebook and google+ - I soon got a reply offering me on this occasion a full refund with postage - it seems only threats will elicit a response so take note - I am however still awaiting a refund although they do state it will take 28 days so we shall see.

So if you are sending fragile items the moral of this story is to pack them extremely well and box them up securely and for goodness sake make sure you print the label out on the website - there isnt really an excuse for not doing this as it could kybosh your delivery.

Its the nature of the beast really as they are trusting ordinary folks to do the job of a postman and at 50p per delivery it seems that the old British values of doing every job to the best of your ability has disappeared to be replaced with doing every job to the minimum acceptable level - striving for the mediocre and that is what makes me mad as hell - no wonder the Poles and Eastern Europeans can do everything better when our own lazy kids and workshy dole nobheads cant be bothered. Its just a symptom of the times and you have to do all you can to mitigate the problem. Myhermes - good idea - if they employed all Polish people I bet there would not be half the complaints there are on here - sad to say!!!
  • Andykins
    Options
    Omendata, thanks so much for posting your thoughts. I am going to write them an email later and 'threaten' them as you have done. I will actually follow through as well if they don't offer me substantial compensation for my delivery they've "lost". I'm really not sure that Moneysavingexpert should be endorsing this company or certainly there should be a big disclaimer attached to their endorsement of myHermes.

Having used Royal Mail for years I have never had any problems. It is worth the extra money really for the reliability and peace of mind.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 November 2012 at 6:48PM
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    . ........I buy from Cotton Traders on a regular basis and have never had a problem, probably depends on the Hermes agent, fortunately mine is excellent.

We used to have a great agent who did evenings and weekends. The current guy seems to work 10 -11 am only and ignores his answer phone. :doh:
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport