TMTI Cancellation? can it be done

Options

Comments

• Angrykid_2
    Options
    Looks like im another one to add to the list of people that have been duped in to paying for this cover.

Upon checking my direct debits online yesterday, i noticed one for £20.94 to a company called TMTITECHCOVER. What the fluff is this i mutterd to myself..!! I googled it and it came up with the gadget geeks website. (This thread was first on the search which made me persue it further).

I gave the comapny a ring and they explained to me that i had taken out technical assistance cover with my mobile phone which i had ordered around 18 months ago. They also explained how incredibly sorry they were but there was nothing they could do to refund the money......... I was told to contact mobiles.co.uk which is the website i ordered my phone from and i was read the same script to which i had just recieved from the gadget geeks.I asked to be provided with all correspondance that they had previously sent so i could see for my own eyes what i had suposedly agreed to.

To the best of my knowledge i had not recieved any emails from mobiles.co.uk or the gadget gimps which explained to me a service which neither had i used nor even ever heard of.

15 minutes later i had recieved nothing from them so i rang again and even up until this morning i had still recieved anything.

I came back on to this thread as i remembered seeing a post about someone who had contacted their bank and had claimed the money back using the Direct Debit Guarantee. Within no more than 3 minutes of being on the phone to santander i had recieved the sum of £20.94 back in to my account. I didnt even finish telling the lady on the end of the phone my story, she was incredibly helpful.

I then went through my statements up until the point of ordering my phone and low and behold there were another 2 payments for £20.94 and 6 monthly intervals. I rang my bank back up and they again refunded the money, in total £62.82.

The way the gadget geeks make this legalised theft work is by opening up the direct debit just a few days before its due and then cancelling it upon reciept of payment. They then continue to repeat this process at 6 monthly intervals until you notice it on your actual statement.

If anyone else has sufferd like i have then contact your bank and hopefully they will be as helpfull as mine were.

Many thanks

Angry Kid:beer:
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    So - isn't the answer to stop handing out DD mandates like confetti and take full control of your finances?

Everyone wants to blame the firms involved, but they are there to provide a service.

If you don't want it, decline. If you don't provide your banking details, they cannot take a penny - so the blame for these issues appears to fall squarely on the consumer, who is either incompetent, or takes a cavalier attitude to their finances.
  • Angrykid_2
    Options
    Of course both parties have a responsibility. I think the issue with the gadget gimps is that they don't make it clear. They also request the payments in a way which is most likely to catch the consumer off guard in a way which maximises profits on their behalf.

I don't doubt that they are providing a quality service to some but as you can see many others have been caught out. I think the point here is for companies to fulfil their moral responsibilities to the consumer and make these deals transparent rather than hiding the facts.

On a final note I believe they offer one month free..? Why not contact the customer to ensure they wish to carry on with the service. Why not provide the customer with confirmation in the first place..!!

TMTI and the gadget helpline are just another stain on British society. The sooner they go in to liquidation the better...
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    It's made perfectly clear at the point of sale; those (apparently) many who don't bother to read it (and there's not much print on the page) only have themselves to blame.

The real "stain" on British Society is that people can't be bothered to look at what they do and then blame everyone but themselves later.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Angrykid wrote: »
    On a final note I believe they offer one month free..? Why not contact the customer to ensure they wish to carry on with the service.

Many firms operate this way. How often do you see 'sign up for a free 30 day trial'? (As I was typing this I have seen adverts for Lovefilm and NowTV along these lines). They bank on people forgetting to cancel before the 30 days is up. TMTI are not the only ones.

I had it on the last contract I signed up to, however I read through all the information provided and duly cancelled it before they could take any money.

As MJ says, it is quite clear but people seem to aimlessly click 'continue' or 'next without really reading what they are accepting.
  • Pat_Chiwawa
    Options
    I had exactly the same issues - I phoned the Bank and said I have not received any documentation and so I suggested a refund could be made under the DD Guarantee. Money refunded, but what TMTI will do, who knows? No company should operate like this these days, no disclosure, no communication - very poor.
  • skunktastic
    Options
    I got one email from TMTI after purchasing my phone offering their "helpline". Knowing that I'm forgetful I phoned and cancelled it straight away and even refused their 30 day free trial (much to their surprise!). As with other people I've just noticed that they have been taking money from my account every 6 months.... Not 1 email or letter in 2 years to remind me of their "services" which I have never once used. And I cancelled by phone, which of course they have no record of....... Stealth stealing at it's best!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    I always call at he start and hardly ever take the trial; they never seem "surprised".

As for the "stealth stealing" - if you wait two years before checking your bank statements you have only yourself to blame. It still amazes me that many people seem oblivious to money going out of their accounts for long periods. If it happened to me I'd see it the day it went out, check what it's for and stop the payment if it was not legitimate (though I never stop payments which are in dispute where it could wreck my credit record (as many people not only do but encourage others to so do on here).
  • bornjoyful
    Options
    I had a non working phone delivered .I called gadget help on day, discovered the fault, and was told to call a different number to send it back . I discussed return policy on that different number . I cancelled within 7 days and sent the phones back.
    At NO point in the sign up online process was it made clear that the direct debit I signed up for was for two different companies .
    Infact the direct debit madate ONLY mentions TMTI . I assumed TMTI was the company name for mobiles.co.uk all owned by CPW

I thought that the mobiles.co.uk people I sent it back to was TMTI and that I did not have to call elsewhere and cancel something I clearly did not need because I had been sent a faulty handset . At no time did Mobiles.co.uk tell me it was a different company .
    Below is the DD - clearly it shows TMTI and no other company so how can a consumer think when the cancel one they have another to cancel?
    Also it says it is for phone bills- not gadget helpline.

direct_debit.gif
    Direct Debit Guarantee
    This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.
    • If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change TMTI will notify you 10 working days in advance of you account being debited or as otherwise agreed.
    • If an error is made by TMTI or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
    • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us. debit_small.png This section is for setting up the Direct Debit for your phone bills. All statutory rights, safeguards and guarantees apply. By submitting this form you agree to payment by Direct Debit.
    I just went back and pretended to order again so this time I was able to copy and paste everything I was signing up to in order to make my case with TMTI and i emailed the director (given in this thread)

. The only place it actually says anything about having to cancel with a different company is right at the end in a small box and the bottom right.
    Mobiles-Basket-Return-Policy-new.gif If you click to open the PDF of full terms and conditions for returns policy. Seeing as it was not clear that this was a different company and seeing as I did not read the return policy as I had already spoke to mobiles.co.uk on the phone regarding the returns policy , I can only conclude that it is quite intentional not to mention this to customers who are returning the phones and cancelling within the stautory period.

http://media.mobiles.co.uk/images/terms/returns-policy-10-02-2012.pdf
    ''

Cancelling Services
    Phone Care Insurance and Gadget Support
    If you are returning your handset for cancellation and you are still being provided Insurance
    and/or Gadget Support, you will need to contact these companies to cancel the service. The
    warehouse and Mobiles.co.uk are unable to cancel these for the customer due to the Data
    Protection Act.
    To cancel, please call them directly on:
    Phone Care Insurance

0870 111 7002
    Gadget Support (TMTI)

• cpjackso
    cpjackso Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've just discovered that I've been charged for this scam; whats worse is it was a Three Sim only contract.. And I was provided with their TMTI gadget cover?!

I phoned TMTI on the 01373 number and said I didn't want the cover and wanted a refund and they said I would be refunded in 10 days - no quibble etc.

GF also had the exact same thing on the exact same date (same Three Sim only contract) - she rang and they said they wouldn't refund her, but after a bit of arguing e2save releneted, accepted that she shouldn't have been charged gadget cover on a sim only contract and said they will send a refund over.

Neither of us received any letters or reference numbers, or warnings of being charged £23.94 by DD.

Watch out for these dodgy DDs popping up on your bank statements!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure