TMTI Cancellation? can it be done

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Caparn
    Caparn Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just got a direct debit with a reference of TMTITECHELP for £23.94.
    It came out of the blue and was for a phone I purchased in July 2012!
    It's now taken me about 1 hour to work out who it is, a phone call to the bank, a cancellation of the DD and I'm still £23.94 out of pocket. I also would never have noticed the money come out of my account if it wasn't me going in to look for something else.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    I expect you'd notice it's been coming out for a couple of years IF you LOOKED. Just as you'd have noticed it at the point of sale. But of course - you didn't.
  • Megacephaly
    Options
    I expect you'd notice it's been coming out for a couple of years IF you LOOKED. Just as you'd have noticed it at the point of sale. But of course - you didn't.

Not as helpful as I'd have expected...the trouble is I have also discovered this payment to TMTI as was down to a mobile for my daughter back in 2008!! As it's only a twice a year payment it kind of goes unnoticed however when I called them they denied 'mis-selling' and said details were all on their web site. They suggested getting in touch with my bank who could raise an indemnity claim (yeah right!)
    This sort of nonsense must be classed as mis-selling??
    Anyway..time to call my bank and see if they can do anything about my £200
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Well, there's no better help than that you give yourself. I'd NEVER allow a single payment to go unnoticed from my bank account, that alone payments every six months for SIX YEARS!

Checking your bank statements once a month is the best lesson you can learn and that IS helpful. How many other things have slipped through in that time unnoticed?
  • DeniseSG
    Options
    Hi all

Came across these threads as I searched online to find out more on these companies.

My story is a month old. Noticed last month that TMobile/EE had taken a DD payment out on a date it doesn't usually but it had all the usual numbers and if it wasn't for the amount being different, wouldn't have queried it. Called them, they couldn't find a record for this first new payment and suggested (which I would have done anyway) calling the bank. I got them to cancel via the DD Indemnity with no bother.

This month, two new DD have surfaced with our friends TMTITECOVER and Citymain and again have asked the bank to cancel. This has been slightly different, the bank wanted to know if I had set up DD and forgotten about them, I haven't - I have one mobile phone and have had it for two years and neither of these names have come up in my monthly scrutiny of my account (I can't afford to be paying out un-necessarily).

My query to the bank is around the DD process, having not had a new phone (technically) nor spoken to anyone, how is it possible for these companies to use my bank details to arrange DDs without my consent or giving me the opportunity to opt in/out on this. I've asked Nationwide to put me in touch with their fraud department to discuss and will be speaking to TMobile/EE too as this started with them.

Someone in an earlier thread mentioned the Banking Ombudsman and I wonder if that's a route I should take. Any other suggestions welcome and good luck to others going down this path. Like MJ And others say, check your bank account regularly.

Thank you.
  • charlotte02
    Options
    Just spoken to TMTI they claim that their helpline insurance was part of a package I purchased through Buy Mobile - I am completely unaware of this

Have never received any information about this company prior to checking my bank statement today - missed the one in January

the very unhelpful and unpleasant woman named Amy said she would refund the money for July but not for January - when I started to question her further she hung up ....

their new number is
    I await to see if it is returned ... got my bank on to the case ...
    Good luck

• chris_yo
    Options
    Just spoken to TMTI they claim that their helpline insurance was part of a package I purchased through Buy Mobile - I am completely unaware of this

Have never received any information about this company prior to checking my bank statement today - missed the one in January

Call your bank and demand all of the money you ever paid back. Direct debit payments are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee, which guarantees all of your money will be refunded in event of any dispute. Do not bother calling TMTI, they have no interest in returning your money. My friend phoned her bank and had all of the TMTI payments (more than £100) immediately refunded.

Like I just said in this other TMTI thread if they were honest this would be opt-in and they would say:

Gadget Helper Phone Line - £42 every year for the rest of your life + 5p/min when called [YES/NO]

It's clearly intended to scam people. Nobody would voluntarily sign up if they knew what it was. They are still ripping people off:
  • countryman_2
    Options
    The good news is that as far as I can tell, you are no longer forced to take TTMI when you sign up for a contract through Mobiles Co Uk :)
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    You aren't and haven't been for a long time. The insurance is also no longer obligatory.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure