PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Options

Comments

• DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi I have just used the left over hammy cokey stock to make soup I added veg and left it in the slow cooker on medium all day - IT WAS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER TASTED!!! Even the smell of it in the kitchen is making me feel sick and I only had a small spoon ful!!!
    Slightly bitter
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi ampersand I've bought a gammon "joint" from Mr T as well but am using mine for boxing day. Thanks for the warning that it falls to bits :mad: Did you tie it before you started cooking or once it had started breaking up? thanks
    #################
    Beforehand, gbn, - no option as it was more or less in 3 as the packing was removed, although I can see it did belong together.
    It's still in the slowcooker - I'll just go and have a peep.........liquor tastes good(think I'd want to reduce it before using it again), meat seems v. tender and in one piece.
    Just as a guide, this has now been on for almost 12 hours and was brought out from fridge for 30 mins or so before it went on - weight 1.2kg.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    Options
    DianneB wrote: »
    Hi I have just used the left over hammy cokey stock to make soup I added veg and left it in the slow cooker on medium all day - IT WAS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER TASTED!!! Even the smell of it in the kitchen is making me feel sick and I only had a small spoon ful!!!
    ##############
    How disappointing for you. My first questions would be Which vegs?, Did you m/w them first? and I'd reduce the stock first.
    Is there no saving it?
    I'd have used celery, leeks, sth onion'y, maybe pulses and I'd use the pressure cooker rather than the slow cooker.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DianneB wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning - I put my leftover stock in the freezer this morning to use at sometime in the future. I might just chuck it now if it's that bad, plus it's taking up valuable freezer space:rotfl: :rotfl: .
  • ampersand
    Options
    billieboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning - I put my leftover stock in the freezer this morning to use at sometime in the future. I might just chuck it now if it's that bad, plus it's taking up valuable freezer space:rotfl: :rotfl: .
    ##############
    I've left mine to reduce o/n in slow cooker with lid off; it's tasting good - down to half this morning.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Some help please!

I have a gammon nearly cooked in my SC as we speak, then I'll finish off in the oven etc.

It's cooking in cherry coke (Nigella-I think??) My question is, what would a pea and ham soup taste like with the cooked coke as a base?

Or is there something else I could do with it, although a soup would be good for us now.

Thank you all in advance and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

toozie
    x
    :j
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi Toozie,

I wouldn't have thought that it would be that great for soup, but you can give it a try?

Nigella uses the left-over juices to cook red cabbage in to serve with the gammon, I think that would be lovely (its what I'm doing for new year)

Hope that helps

PGxx
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    ##############
    How disappointing for you. My first questions would be Which vegs?, Did you m/w them first? and I'd reduce the stock first.
    Is there no saving it?
    I'd have used celery, leeks, sth onion'y, maybe pulses and I'd use the pressure cooker rather than the slow cooker.

Hi, thanks for the info, didn't reduce it first, the thought of that concentrated isn't a pleasant one!! it was just soooooo sweet, I added celery, leeks and carrot, all pretty harmless, I thought it would be delicious!!!
    Slightly bitter
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    How did yours turn out Dave? I'm cooking this today for 4 of us with a 1.8kg joint in the slow cooker. Also making Nigellas sweecorn pudding.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • fletch3163
    fletch3163 Posts: 900 Forumite
    Options
    I too am having gammon in cola for tea today. I'm so proud of myself, it looks lovely. Granted, I haven't used cloves (remind me too much of the dentist) but I've had a taste and it's fab. I used treacle, dijon mustart and sprinked with demerara sugar for 10 mins in oven.

Happy New Year everyone
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure