PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Comments

• Last week I cooked a 5kg smoked ham in the slowcooker for 5 hours on high then left it in the liquid overnight. As it's so big, it kept cooking for hours after I'd turned off the slowcooker. If I had remembered to take it out of the fridge the night before, to take the chill off, I would have cooked it on medium for the same amount of time. I didn't bother glazing it this time as my OH got to it (and started eating!) before I could sort out the glaze.
  • Hi all,

I've used a smoked gammon and it turns out fine. The sweetness counters the salty really well

I'd suggest you refer to the cooking times for joints in your slowcooker's manual, as they all differ, and it depends on the size of the joint in question.

PGxx
  • I always use my slow cooker for cooking a ham in coke. It works fantastically and is sooooooooooooo delicious.

All I do is rinse the meat in some cold water, put a couple of peeled, quartered onions in the base, put ham on top then pour on enough coke to reach the top of the ham. Then just whack slow cooker on auto and leave it to do its business. I usually cook it overnight, so about 8hrs without looking at it. Then poke it a bit and see if it looks done or needs a bit longer. not very exact but all slow cookers vary and what takes 5hrs in one may take double in a different make. Usually cook a 2-3kg joint

The meat always ends up so tender and it usually falls apart very easily (probably as I overcooked it??) but H and the children love it and don't complain so I keep doing it the same way. The ham tastes delicious hot and is possibly even better cold the following day.
    • not tried smoked as we don't like smoked meat
    • If I didn't have the auto setting I'd use low as I find a longer lower cook gives better results
    • have tried cherry coke, gives a sweeter result. We prefer regular coke but each to their own
    • don't use diet coke. Its the sugar which helps permeate the meat and give it extra flavor, artificial sweeteners in diet don't do it
    • own brand works as well as brand. Value is also fine. just don't get diet. It really is full fat or nothing
    • the leftover stock makes a fantastic base for a blackbean sauce. Has a really lovely contrast of the sweetness of the coke against the saltiness extruded from the ham
  • evilwitch wrote: »
    Then poke it a bit and see if it looks done or needs a bit longer. not very exact but all slow cookers vary and what takes 5hrs in one may take double in a different make. Usually cook a 2-3kg joint

I think the first one I try will be a small joint, around 750g. So I'll try it for 5 hours on low in my relatively powerful SC.

How do you know when it's done? Does a poke make it fall to bits?

Sorry for another doofus question :o
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    hi i got a 2&half kilo of unsmoked ham , a onion, brown sugar, 2 liter of coke, and a slow cooker, gonna cook 2morrow but unsure 4 how long, how much coke do i just both into slow cooker or boil coke first ? then put brown surgar on please tell what 2 do , look forward 2 serving a niced joint thanks
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    just finished cooking ham its lovely i carnt stop eating it, w9ont b much left 4 2morrow thanks
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I put the ham in slow cooker+coke around 6am.

Annoying to find the 'joint', described and looking as such on Mr T pack, is NOT a joint as such. It fell away in two/three pieces. Have tied it with string as I'd see(N.Z.)butcher do in my childhood.

On verra.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    onetomany wrote: »
    hi i got a 2&half kilo of unsmoked ham , a onion, brown sugar, 2 liter of coke, and a slow cooker, gonna cook 2morrow but unsure 4 how long, how much coke do i just both into slow cooker or boil coke first ? then put brown surgar on please tell what 2 do , look forward 2 serving a niced joint thanks
    ############
    Just read the Thread - we're only on page 2.
    All the links and tips are here.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand wrote: »
    I put the ham in slow cooker+coke around 6am.

Annoying to find the 'joint', described and looking as such on Mr T pack, is NOT a joint as such. It fell away in two/three pieces. Have tied it with string as I'd see(N.Z.)butcher do in my childhood.

On verra.
    Hi ampersand I've bought a gammon "joint" from Mr T as well but am using mine for boxing day. Thanks for the warning that it falls to bits :mad: Did you tie it before you started cooking or once it had started breaking up? thanks
    Debt @ LBM - £25,722 Debt now - £11,811 DFD - April 2012 :eek: :eek:
    Payment a day challenge - 8/8/08 - £8669.73:jISA - £127.07
    Sealed Pot Challenge #283 £489.50 for 2009//£353 for 2010
    Stopped smoking 1/11/2010 - money saved so far:£515:D
  • ooooh I'd love to try this.

I have a ham hock, that was bought ages ago (it's in the freezer lol - so it's ok), would I be able to use this do you think?

TIA
    :cool: Proud DFW Nerd 135 :cool:
    Sealed Pot Challenge - 019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills