PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Options
Hi Please can someone give me the receipe for cooking Gammon with Coke Cola - going to do it this weekend but can't find the receipe anywhere

thanks

Comments

• KizzyK_2
    KizzyK_2 Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    From Nigella Lawson with love ;)

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/N/nigella/bites8.shtml

Nigella: "This recipe is from How to Eat, with some rejigging (just because it's not in my nature to leave completely alone) and I don't apologise for reproducing, or rather recasting, it because I simply cannot urge you to try this strongly enough. The first time I made it, it was, to be frank, really just out of amused interest. I'd heard, and read, about this culinary tradition from the deep South, but wasn't expecting it, in all honesty, to be (in all honesty) good. The truth is it's magnificent, and makes converts of anyone who eats it. But, if you think about it, it's not surprising it should work: the sweet, spiky drink just infuses it with spirit of barbecue. I have to force myself to cook ham any other way now; though often I don't bothering with the glaze but just leave it for longer in the bubbling Coke instead."

Ingredients:

* 2kg mild-cure gammon
    * 1 onion peeled and cut in half
    * 2 litre-bottle coke
    * for the glaze
    * handful cloves
    * 1 heaped tablespoon black treacle
    * 2 teasps English mustard powder
    * 2 tablespoons demerara sugar

Or

Alan Bichan does one

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/features/cooking/archive7.htm

*** Board Guide Edit ***

Can I remind posters that we are asked in the orange bar at the top of every page to respect the copyright of others and limit ourselves to a brief quote and then add a link to the relevant page for those who would like to read more. I'll add the formal phrasing below in a quote for you.
    COPYRIGHT

Do not copy long text from other publications/websites. This may breach copyright. Instead use short quotes and a link. MoneySavingExpert.com asserts copyright on all comments posted on the boards.
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

• ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    can you use any coke, diet for instance?
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    no has to be full fat it's the sugar in it that does the magic!!!
  • ladygrey_2
    Options
    thanks hot.chick :)
  • mandirinmonroe
    Options
    sounds awful but might give it a try!
    Goooooo with the Flowwwwww
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Right guys, im giving this a go today!

I've never done gammon in a slow cooker before, so how long shall I cook it for please?

I shall do the glaze and roast it for about 20 mins afterwards and I dont want it to be overcooked :-)

Gammon and homemade potato wedges for tea... yum!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    leonie wrote:
    Right guys, im giving this a go today!

I've never done gammon in a slow cooker before, so how long shall I cook it for please?

I shall do the glaze and roast it for about 20 mins afterwards and I dont want it to be overcooked :-)

Gammon and homemade potato wedges for tea... yum!
    There are a few threads listed in our collection which are about cooking gammon and which will help you out here :)

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Squeaky

I popped it in the slow cooker at 10am and will probably take it out around 5pm, then finish off in the oven with a honey glaze.

One thing I wasnt expecting is that the cola loses its colour!
  • ladygrey_2
    Options
    will it dry out if finished in the oven?
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    It never has when I have made it.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure