PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Options

Comments

• hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    I'd probably bite the bullet and chuck the gravy, sorry.

as for the ham.....

ham sandwiches, toasties, grilled ham and eggs for brekkie, ham omelet, chicken ham pie???
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi there

Sorry to hear about the ham - i had a disaster a good few years ago with a Delia recipe - it was totally inedible - even for OH who has a cast iron stomach - it cost a fortune and went badly wrong

YOu could freeze the rest of the ham so it doesnt have to be eaten straight away.

You could use it in a quiche, tortilla or pizza topping. That way, if the taste is overwhelming, it only needs to be used in small amounts.

I would chop the meat up small and bag it up in the freezer, and use it in small amounts.

Not sure what to do with the gravy - is there any chance it could be added in small amounts to flavour a casserole?

Sorry i cant be more helpful- i have never done the ham in coke thing - i know Nigella has a recipe for it though, and maybe someone will be along in a minute who has made it already and can help you out

Best Wishes

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • charliee_3
    charliee_3 Posts: 803 Forumite
    Options
    the stock is really sweet when you make this, too sweet for gravy, but when i made it i used the stock to make a hot and sour soup, the sweetness really worked with the chinesey flavours and it wasn't too overpowering..
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    The unuseably sweet stock is one of the reasons I don't do ham in coke often - so ditch the gravy.

However I find the ham itself lovely - maybe the grilling it is whats spoiled it - hw is the rest? I usually simmer for a couple of hours and then glaze and bake for 30-50 mins to brown
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 March 2010 at 10:00PM
    Options
    DON'T BIN IT! It's meant to be good for the base of a black bean sauce. I'll find links

Gammon and coke

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the ideas together :)

DA DAAAAAAA - click.

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    Options
    Just a wee bumpy - Getcarter - I hope you didn't bin that stock! :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My DH & DD love the ham in cola, I brown it off in the oven with a coating after.
  • getcarter
    getcarter Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did actually make gravy from it, it's sitting in the fridge waiting for inspiration. Think I will cut the ham up and freeze it to use in something else.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    Options
    I don;t use coke - next time you could try cooking in apple juice. It makes a lovely gravy, and I use what's left to make a bacon and lentil soup :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 2 gammon joints and a bottle of cola as I have seen that its really good when cooked in coke...

Is it ok to cook in the slow cooker? If so, how long for and how much cola should I add please?

I have only seen recipes for it done on the hob.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure