PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Options

Comments

• dundeedoll_2
    Options
    Saw this on the 'In my slow cooker today' thread yesterday................may be of help to you.

twiglet98 wrote: »
    I got a 2kg gammon joint in Mr T's whoopsied from £15 to £7, did in the SC on a bed of onions and carrots, covered with 2 litres of Coca Cola. then glazed with honey and demerara sugar and finished in the oven with roast potatoes, . Delicious, and after DD24, DS22, DD18 and their respective partners had tucked in, there's not even enough left for a sandwich! I do love it when they enjoy their food.

Can I do anything with the leftover cola? Didn't add a stock cube or anything except the base veg.
    Nicotine Free since 01.08.2010 :j:j:j

Sealed Pot Challenge member 1097 2011 £1024.78 :T

I feel the two are connected :D
  • lbr102
    lbr102 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I have done this in a slow cooker a couple of times. Once I used a can of coke and another time I used a 500 ml bottle. I'm not entirely sure how long I cooked it for but I would have put it on probably between 7 and 8 and then not eaten it until about 7 at night. It was so lovely! Enjoy!
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    I just topped it up until it just covered the gammon and add an onion and a carrot both halved, but do it quite regularly and it is lovely. Also gammon in apple juice! :) Yum Yum
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK I have put both joints in, covered in cola and got carried away and put in a few cloves, black pepper, a few mustard seeds and a few slivers of orange rind :D

Fingers crossed :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Frugal wrote: »
    I have 2 gammon joints and a bottle of cola as I have seen that its really good when cooked in coke...

Is it ok to cook in the slow cooker? If so, how long for and how much cola should I add please?

I have only seen recipes for it done on the hob.

Use the cola to clean your loo (the phosphoric acid in it is good for that ;) ) and cook your gammon in apple juice - better fro you and delicious :)

We have an existing thread on this, so one of us will merge it later.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Fruball
    Options
    Use the cola to clean your loo (the phosphoric acid in it is good for that ;) ) and cook your gammon in apple juice - better fro you and delicious :)

We have an existing thread on this, so one of us will merge it later.

LOL I remember you posting something similar before :D

I did it... It has an unusual flavour and kids liked it, even DD1 who doesn't enjoy meat. I liked it but wouldn't rave about it like some... I will def try the apple juice next time :)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    LOL I remember you posting something similar before :D

It's my age :p :rotfl: I've not tried gammon in coke, but I'm pretty sure gammon in apple juice (or cider :beer: ) will be preferred by my family :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    I was enjoying a drink of dandelion & burdock (Asda own brand) the other day and thought "Hmmmmmm - I wonder?".

It was delicious, with a kind of beery flavour.
  • Fruball
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    I was enjoying a drink of dandelion & burdock (Asda own brand) the other day and thought "Hmmmmmm - I wonder?".

It was delicious, with a kind of beery flavour.

I can imagine that gammon done in dandelion and burdock would be amazing.... much better than done in coke... may try that in the future...

anyone done gammon in Tizer? :rotfl:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can imagine that gammon done in dandelion and burdock would be amazing.... much better than done in coke... may try that in the future...

anyone done gammon in Tizer? :rotfl:

I read somewhere (or saw on TV) that cherry coke is susposed to be even nicer than coke;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure