PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gammon & Coke

Options

Comments

• babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always do my ham in orange juice with a few cloves and a cinnamon stick thrown in. Once it is boiled, I reduce the OJ with a bit of brown sugar and/or some marmalade and glaze the ham with it after scoring the fat, covering the meat with pineapple slices and studding the fat with cloves. It is yummy!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I've read a lot about how nice it's supposed to be to cook ham in coke so I'm giving it a go right now.

However, the coke now has black bits floating in it and it's all on the onions etc.

Is that normal ?

Thanks,

Kevin x
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is Kevin yes, you`ll love the taste x
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I fancy trying this, do you submerge the ham in coke?
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    I have, smeeinnit... Just put the ham in the pan with a quartered onion and covered with coke as you would usually do with water and boiled.

I'm not bothering with a glaze and finishing in the oven, personally!
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2011 at 7:42PM
    Options
    I like to add some bay & a chili or two & just a few whole cloves, maybe a star anise ... what ever I fancy TBH!

& I try to save the liquid to make beans too .. I use a mix of different tinned beans, strained & slow cooked with the liquid ... I serve it with the cold meat for a different meal later in the week
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Kevie192 wrote: »
    I have, smeeinnit... Just put the ham in the pan with a quartered onion and covered with coke as you would usually do with water and boiled.

I'm not bothering with a glaze and finishing in the oven, personally!

That does give it a lovely finish though - yummy.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As this thread has fallen down the Old Style board I've added it to the existing one on cooking gammon in coke.

Pink
  • andybirch
    andybirch Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2011 at 7:43PM
    Options
    Hi everone,

I'm planning on trying the Ham in Cola recipie again this Christmas. Last year the pot was too small and the ham was one that had a plastic band around it to keep it together, so it fell apart when this was taken off. :mad:

What ham should I be asking for? Is it readily available in supermarkets rater than going to a butchers.

Thanks for your help.
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you can buy gammon without the plastic in all the supermarkets

Sainsburys basic gammons dont have plastic on them and neither will any of the other supermarkets gammon, I find it is only the round bacon joints that have the plastic on them

i cant decide whether to cook my ham in cola or ginger ale this year, have done both before but OH and DS dont know which they prefer

I am going to cook mine in the slow cooker this year, will be easier than in a pan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport