PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Options

Comments

• Fitzio
    Fitzio Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    Frugal wrote: »
    Leave it on :)

It will help it to keep its shape whilst cooking.

Thanks Frugal. I take it I will have to remove it before putting it in the oven as it says to score the fat and stud it with cloves etc.

I've had it in for a couple of hours with the string on, but the lid must have been too loose as most of the liquid has evaporated! I have added some more cola. Fingers crossed that this works or I am forking out for a Chinese banquet!
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't try and save any of the left over liquid to make soup with and serve to your guests as Nigella says. Trust me they would rather starve.
  • Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Don't try and save any of the left over liquid to make soup with and serve to your guests as Nigella says. Trust me they would rather starve.

What Cranky said!! Its horrible........

Im sure your ham will be fab, its a fave recipe in our house. Happy Hogmanay :)
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011 :j
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I took string off and ham feel apart, still tasted fab though x
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »

I've said it before, but ditch the coke and use apple juice - the resulting liqid is delicious and makes wonderful soup :)

I'll add this to the gammon in coke thread later, to keep ideas together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Fitzio
    Fitzio Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    Well, not sure if it was my pot or the fact that I didn't have the lid on tight enough and a lot of the coke evaporated, but the string on the bottom of the gammon burnt to the pot. It took ages to prize the meat away but in the end I only lost a little bit, and it tastes completely fine. Fingers crossed everyone else thinks so today. Thanks for the advice! Off to post a question about roast potatoes now!

Happy New Year. x
  • JuneBow
    JuneBow Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    This year, instead of using the treacle, I reduced the coke until it was syrupy. I pasted a load of mustard on then when baking I basted the syrupy coke over. Delicious.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a tiny ham joint (about just under a kilo) that I bought before Christmas in MrTs and I am going to cook it overnight in my SC and then when cold I hope to slice it and freeze it in portions for some time next week.Apart from coke is there anything else anyone could recommend for the liquid as I only have diet coke and someone told me it wasn't very good to cook with.In my fridge I have orange juice but no apple juice I am trying to use up what I have without shopping if possible this month.
    I love sliced ham with a poached egg on top or in a wrap with salad for lunch.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have a tiny ham joint (about just under a kilo) that I bought before Christmas in MrTs and I am going to cook it overnight in my SC and then when cold I hope to slice it and freeze it in portions for some time next week.Apart from coke is there anything else anyone could recommend for the liquid as I only have diet coke and someone told me it wasn't very good to cook with.In my fridge I have orange juice but no apple juice I am trying to use up what I have without shopping if possible this month.
    I love sliced ham with a poached egg on top or in a wrap with salad for lunch.

Hi Jackie,

I have seen others suggest apple juice, but I prefer plain water with a bit of onion, carrot, whole black peppercorns and a couple of cloves thrown in. That way you can use the leftover stock to make a delicious lentil or pea and ham soup.

Personally I wouldn't cook it overnight in the slow cooker...gammon is the one thing that I have found over cooks in the slow cooker and it can become stringy and difficult to slice. I know it depends on individual slow cookers, but for a joint under a kilo I would add hot liquid to the sc and it will be ready in less than three hours.

Pink
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Pink I will give it a go.I had forgotten about it as it was at the back of my fridge behind some cartons of OJ but the expiry date is 7/1/2011 so it should be good to cook tomorrow I have onions and black peppercorns but no cloves but I'm not keen on cloves so I don't mind missing them out I looked tonight and its 750gms so should do me for several meals this week coming
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure