PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Options

Comments

• flipperOSN
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    I was enjoying a drink of dandelion & burdock (Asda own brand) the other day and thought "Hmmmmmm - I wonder?".

It was delicious, with a kind of beery flavour.
    I'm not a fan of the stuff but I have a small bottle lurking in the fridge that I don't want to throw away. I might try this though!
    Old-Style Enthusiast :j
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    Does the coke need to cover the joint ?? got a 1.8kg joint from mr t washed it and halved an onion, put it on the bottom of the pot and stuck the joint on top......filled the coke up wntil it was just at the bottom of the joint....do i just leave it to cook now ??

This is for the sc btw :-)
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    I did a similar thing yesterday with leftover kir royal cocktail (M&S bottle opended on Xmas day, but way too sweet to drink), not enough to cover it so turned it over part way through and it was nice, as was the cooking liquid which has made a lentil soup :)
  • scottishf
    Options
    Don't laff :-) but do you keep the plastic stuff that goes round the circumference for the joint (i presume this is to stop it falling apart) when it's cooking...........as you can tell, i have never made a gammon joint before LOL
  • wyebird
    Options
    Take it off so the flavours can permeate. Hope it's nice :)
  • scottishf
    Options
    I will tae it off now...although it will be finished cooking in a couple of hours.....hope it doesnt spoil the flavour :-(
  • wyebird
    Options
    Shouldn't think so, there will still have been plenty of surface uncovered.
  • Fitzio
    Fitzio Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am making Nigella's ham in coke for the first time. The ham joint I bought came with string on. Can anyone advise if I should remove this before cooking in the pot or before the oven stage? I am a bit of a novice and have volunteered to cook New Year's dinner for 11 people tomorrow - what was I thinking?!

Thanks in advance.
    x
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leave it on :)

It will help it to keep its shape whilst cooking.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can take it off if you are going to glaze it in the oven, but you don't have to :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure