Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

Play.com Fraud - warning - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search

Play.com Fraud - warning

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
428 replies 121.9K views

Replies

• This has happened me too and the the only purchase in 3 months prior to this happening was an online purchase with .........PLAY.COM !!!!!!!!
    had to report the fradulent use to my credit card supplier, and wait for replacement cards.....
    dont think i would use play again becasue of this.....
  • Ellie2758Ellie2758 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Nikki

which address did you email to please? I cant see one on the site at all.

thanks
    Trix wrote: »
    I was concerned after reading this thread so changed my DOB on the details of the Play site (it wouldn't let me change anything else). I got an email saying 'thank you for your recent order with Play. At this time we are unable to process your order further as the card details you have entered appear to be incorrect and cannot be verified.' and asked me to check my account.

I emailed back explaining that I hadn't placed an order but wanted my card details removed because of security concerns. This is what they replied with:

'Dear Nikki,

Thank you for the information. As you have said you have not placed an order however our email template which states card details are incorrect assumes you have made an order. I am happy to remove your card details from your account if you have concerns over internet security. Unfortunately our system automatically saves a card number for convenience and there is no option here for us to tell it not to.

Once you log in to make an order you will of course need to re-enter the details and ask us to manually remove the card details once the order has been posted and payment successfully taken.

I am personally requesting the option to save card details or not as a few customers have requested this recently.

I have removed your card details from your account for you.

If you have any further questions/queries please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards -Play.com'

Seemed like a nice polite reply :) And hopefully the bit about requesting the option to save card details or not is sincere and actually has some sort of a result.

Shame that it basically means that until something like that becomes an option - every time I place an order I have to then remember to send a request to ask them to remove my card details though :rolleyes:
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • TrixTrix Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    Hi Nikki

which address did you email to please? I cant see one on the site at all.

thanks
    I just replied to the email they sent me telling me they couldn't process my order which was [email protected] telling them I hadn't placed an order but had amended my details, then I got one from them that was from [email protected] saying they couldn't locate my account, I replied to that one and that's when I got the reply I posted.

When I look in my sent items - the email address that shows there is a series of numbers and letters (probably the specific person who emailed me so I'm not posting that because I don't want one person getting swamped with emails from MSE lol :D) followed by @helpdesk.play.com.

Hope that helps :)
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • recieved an email on sat 7th nov sating the order i placed has not been processed due to my card being declined and to please enter correct details.i had placed no order.have sent email but no reply as yet.
  • Hubby and I have just deleted our accounts and stated the reasons listed above with no problems.

How did you delete your account? I've just been on the site but only seem to be able to edit my details?
  • I don't know if someone mentioned this, but you could change your credit card details with a valid fake one. This is basically a number that will pass all the validation, but it's fake.
    You can get one for visa and for mastercard here. Again these numbers are safe to use, they were not stolen or used in any dodgy way. They are just numbers that software developers (like me) use to test credit card validation.

Cheers
  • edited 9 November 2009 at 8:13PM
    JAGJAG Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November 2009 at 8:13PM
    augusto wrote: »
    I don't know if someone mentioned this, but you could change your credit card details with a valid fake one. This is basically a number that will pass all the validation, but it's fake.
    You can get one for visa and for mastercard here. Again these numbers are safe to use, they were not stolen or used in any dodgy way. They are just numbers that software developers (like me) use to test credit card validation.

Cheers

PayPal also do test credit cards but if you use these on Play they will suspend your account because although they pass the first check when you input them, a few days later you will get an email and the account will be suspended.

They are O.K. if you want to suspend your account, but if you want to buy from Play again using the same account you have to telephone them to unlock your account.
  • Ellie2758Ellie2758 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any updates on the situation at Play now?
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • stoltstolt Forumite
    2.9K posts
    had this very same thing happen to me at the weekend, nice lady from mbna phoend to say that at 5.30 on saturday morning a transaction went through for £1.00 and the site was click and buy.com . its not me and she said that fraudsters normally start with a small transaction to see if the card is live then do a large one, nightmare as i'm spending quite a bit on the card at the moment i was racking up the play points to buy christmas gifts with. got to wait 5-10 days for a new card now....
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
  • kimmy393kimmy393 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Same thing happned tomy younger brother aged 18 onloy a month ago, someone got his card and purched £30 woth of stuff on it, and his bank would not dive him his miney back either. Sayinghe should be more careful with his bank details etc. How stupid
    2015 Big wins: luxury 7 night holiday in sharm el sheikh, theatre tix, £123, IPad Air 16gb, Night in London hotel celebjuicetix :, Portable dvd playerT

Best 2014: £900 VIP cheltenham races day, £200 H&M voucher, £300 camera, 2 nights luxury apt Harrogate, 5 nights glamping cumbria
    Total:2010: £10,531, 2011:£11,075
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support