Play.com Fraud - warning

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
428 replies 121.9K views

Replies

• bobblebobbobblebob Forumite
    917 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Am i right in thinking that if they have your details, its your play login details they have, and not your bank details?

Would changing your password not be enough? If they have your card details already, changing them now wont make a difference
  • JAGJAG Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Am i right in thinking that if they have your details, its your play login details they have, and not your bank details?

Would changing your password not be enough? If they have your card details already, changing them now wont make a difference

I think that they have hacked the login and account passwords and then use them to send orders to a different address.

If they got your bank/card details then they would use them to commit fraud on other websites etc. and not just limited to Play.
  • I let my card expire after seeing this post but do miss using them as keep seeing some great offers/ Really hope they solve the fraud problem but its not looking hopeful.
    917 posts
    ✭✭✭
    JAG wrote: »
    I think that they have hacked the login and account passwords and then use them to send orders to a different address.

If they got your bank/card details then they would use them to commit fraud on other websites etc. and not just limited to Play.

Thats what i thought, so why are people changing their bank details on the site. Surely changing your password would be enough. Are people suggesting its an inside job so even that isnt safe enough?
  • eslickeslick Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Thats what i thought, so why are people changing their bank details on the site. Surely changing your password would be enough. Are people suggesting its an inside job so even that isnt safe enough?

if you change your bank details they cant use your card, if you change the password they can figure out how to hack the password again and then use your card, simple way is to expire your card and then there are no issues payment would be rejected.
    917 posts
    ✭✭✭
    eslick wrote: »
    if you change your bank details they cant use your card, if you change the password they can figure out how to hack the password again and then use your card, simple way is to expire your card and then there are no issues payment would be rejected.

So still no idea how they are hacking passwords?
  • JAGJAG Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭

If Play had put in more security to stop the breach occuring again then just changing your password would be enough.

But looking at how long the frauds have been going on (just from the replies in this thread), then they have either not found out how they are being hacked, not put measures in to prevent the security breaches, or the fraudsters could have hacked their system and left behind computer programs that allow them into Play's computers whenever they want.
  • eslickeslick Forumite
    2.1K posts
    So still no idea how they are hacking passwords?

no IT expert but expect there are ways and means of cracking any password unless it automatically locked you out which I dont think most sites do. Hotmail, ebay are just some of the sites I have heard about been cracked, ebay told my wife about hers and her password was so obscure.
  • TrixTrix Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was concerned after reading this thread so changed my DOB on the details of the Play site (it wouldn't let me change anything else). I got an email saying 'thank you for your recent order with Play. At this time we are unable to process your order further as the card details you have entered appear to be incorrect and cannot be verified.' and asked me to check my account.

I emailed back explaining that I hadn't placed an order but wanted my card details removed because of security concerns. This is what they replied with:

'Dear Nikki,

Thank you for the information. As you have said you have not placed an order however our email template which states card details are incorrect assumes you have made an order. I am happy to remove your card details from your account if you have concerns over internet security. Unfortunately our system automatically saves a card number for convenience and there is no option here for us to tell it not to.

Once you log in to make an order you will of course need to re-enter the details and ask us to manually remove the card details once the order has been posted and payment successfully taken.

I am personally requesting the option to save card details or not as a few customers have requested this recently.

I have removed your card details from your account for you.

If you have any further questions/queries please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards -Play.com'

Seemed like a nice polite reply :) And hopefully the bit about requesting the option to save card details or not is sincere and actually has some sort of a result.

Shame that it basically means that until something like that becomes an option - every time I place an order I have to then remember to send a request to ask them to remove my card details though :rolleyes:
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • I have tried today to open a Play.com account - input my email address and it said this address was already being used.?

odd I thought.i dont remember opening a play.com account. so I went to the email my password section, typed in my email address - and it said this email address is not correct.

How can play.com say my email address is already in use with them and also that my email address is not recognised at the same time?

Rang up customer services twice to try and find out - they confirmed my email address and postcode but not in my name - but in my girlfriends name? They couldnt say why. My girlfriend has never used play.com and wouldnt have used my email address anyway.

!!!!!!?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support