OU Students Past, Present and Future

Options

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    MummyMoo wrote: »
    Hiya. Yeah I did it as part of my Masters in Education. VERY interesting module. A fair bit of revisting basic theories (behaviourism, socio-culturalism etc), but taking it a step further. I did my first degree in education studies with early years, so did the theories to death, but still found this course interesting. Very much pushing towards favouring socio-constructivism. Also covered gender inequalties in assessment styles for example. Really really good course :)

The compulsory one, is it E891? Educational enquiry? I did that one too. Im grateful for how much I learned from it in terms of preparing me for writing at publication quality, and I intend to do a PhD too; but my god was the course boring!!! sorry! Useful, but like pulling teeth sometimes.

ooh, that's great thank you; I went for that one in the end as the other one looked scary in terms of group work, plus I'm not cut out for leadership/management aspects - I feel better now I know someone has survived it :)

The compulsory one is E891; I'll be doing it alongside E846 next year :eek: (I started with SEH806 as E891 was full when I applied, so I've gone about it all the wrong way round!)

I have to write academic papers at work so I'm not worried about the writing/researching part for these, but I know I'll have to be way more organised to fit this in around work and not leave my TMAs until the last minute.

Best of luck with the PhD - are you thinking of studying education for that too? I was tentitively looking at the D.Ed program for afterwards, but I'm not sure about the difference between that and the PhD pathway. I have a doctorate in Organic Chemistry, but social science seems vastly different; I'm a university researcher but in science; I decided to do this because I have to teach as part of my job so wanted to understand a bit more. I'd never studied education before this so this has been a trial by fire, but I'm enjoying it so far :o
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • epskie
    epskie Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I am starting AA100 'The Arts Past and Present' in October as part of my Creative Writing pathway towards an English Lit degree. Is anybody else doing this module?

Thanks
  • curchep
    curchep Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon - I've just found this thread so I thought I'd add my OU history:
    currently studying DD202 (finishes in Oct 2012)
    previous: DB123, B120, DD101 (all passed with distinction)
    future: DD309, starting in Jan 2012.
    Aiming for B69 BA/BSc (Honours) Combined Social Sciences
    Self employed, CeMAP and DipFA.
    Finished OU degree in 2014
    :beer:
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have the PDFs downloaded for AA100 that would be willing to e-mail them to me please?

(I'm wanting to have a look before registering for my next course & can't get to a Regional Centre to look at the materials)

Thanks in advance, PM for e-mail address if you can help. Thanks
  • MummyMoo
    MummyMoo Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    celyn90 wrote: »
    ooh, that's great thank you; I went for that one in the end as the other one looked scary in terms of group work, plus I'm not cut out for leadership/management aspects - I feel better now I know someone has survived it :)

The compulsory one is E891; I'll be doing it alongside E846 next year :eek: (I started with SEH806 as E891 was full when I applied, so I've gone about it all the wrong way round!)

I have to write academic papers at work so I'm not worried about the writing/researching part for these, but I know I'll have to be way more organised to fit this in around work and not leave my TMAs until the last minute.

Best of luck with the PhD - are you thinking of studying education for that too? I was tentitively looking at the D.Ed program for afterwards, but I'm not sure about the difference between that and the PhD pathway. I have a doctorate in Organic Chemistry, but social science seems vastly different; I'm a university researcher but in science; I decided to do this because I have to teach as part of my job so wanted to understand a bit more. I'd never studied education before this so this has been a trial by fire, but I'm enjoying it so far :o

Wow, how good are you! I wouldn't be able to cope doing two units and working: Im a single parent and I have Bipolar disorder (although I'm a high functioning bipolar). Yeah I'll be doing my PhD in Education. I can't imagine working in any other sector, although obviously I understand that education is very multidisiplinary, and when I have my PhD I'll be persuing a degree then Masters in Psychology. I love education, it's so broad and interesting, and I'm very passionate about my principles :)
    Only two people away from a threesome :grouphug:
    [FONT=&quot][STRIKE](£22,131.38 debt hanging around my neck[/FONT])
    Bankrupt, (14/9/12)
    £300 away from debt free!! (16/6/14)[/STRIKE]
    £2017 in 2017 = 0
  • Kalama
    Kalama Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats to all the fab results!

Can I go on the front page list please?

Current: A326
    Completed: AA100, A200, A218
    Future study: A327, A332
    Aiming for: BA Hons History (started Feb 2011, hope to finish May 2014)

Thanks!
    "No society can surely be flourishing and happy of which by far the greater part of the numbers are poor and miserable"
    Adam Smith
    6/30
  • moose1982
    moose1982 Posts: 258 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2012 at 10:29PM
    Options
    I'm an OU student with a quick query, so probably best not start up a new thread.

I've done two level 1 modules and passed both. However, this year, I did my first level 2 module. My TMA score overall was 52 and my exam score was 40, so I got a Grade 4 Pass. If I were to continue at this level, I would only end up with a 3rd.

I've spoken to a couple of people though, both think that because of this bad module, even if I did brilliantly at my last three, I would still end up with a 3rd. Is that true? If it is, then I suppose the next question should be, is it worth continuing with? A 3rd won't get anything with regards to helping at an interview.

Just wondering if it's worth getting the grants if I can't really pass, that's all.

Thanks.
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    moose1982 wrote: »
    I

I've done two level 3 modules and passed both. However, this year, I did my first level 2 module. My TMA score overall was 52 and my exam score was 40, so I got a Grade 4 Pass. If I were to continue at this level, I would only end up with a 3rd.

What grades did you get for the Level 3 modules - its quite unusual to do two level 3's before doing a level 2. If you get Grade 4 passes on the modules you will end up with a 3rd, roughly a grade 3 equates to a 2:2, a Grade 2 to a 2:1 and a Grade 1 to a first. There is a calculator you can use to work out what you need to get for each module but I'm not sure if I still have the link (there is a manual way of calculating it on the site)
  • moose1982
    moose1982 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Surfbabe wrote: »
    What grades did you get for the Level 3 modules - its quite unusual to do two level 3's before doing a level 2. If you get Grade 4 passes on the modules you will end up with a 3rd, roughly a grade 3 equates to a 2:2, a Grade 2 to a 2:1 and a Grade 1 to a first. There is a calculator you can use to work out what you need to get for each module but I'm not sure if I still have the link (there is a manual way of calculating it on the site)

Ooops, looks like I've got my 1's and 3's mixed up. I've done two modules at level 1, both of which just read pass.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    edited 25 September 2012 at 6:28PM
    Options
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Ooops, looks like I've got my 1's and 3's mixed up. I've done two modules at level 1, both of which just read pass.

Your grades at level one don't count towards the classification of the degree, thats level 2 and 3 courses.

Don't let the marks put you off, one level 1 course, I failed the 1st time, passed the 2nd time, but def be all worth it in the end x

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family