Options
1159160161162163165»

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    flump345 wrote: »
    Is there a thread regarding open university that is ongoing, this one seems very quiet!

I have tried searching but this is the only one I could find.

TIA

This is the only one.

If you have a specific question feel free to ask it.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 April 2016 at 11:24PM
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello as enrolled for the Business Management a few days ago, I'm so glad I came across this thread as I didn't realise that Stage 1 didn't count towards your degree - it won't affect the work I'll put in as I understand it will be the foundation for Stage 2 & 3 but it's made me think twice about my module choices.

If anyone happens to have gone down the same route, any recommendations on what modules you would do? I was originally considering personal finance (whilst I don't need help in this area it seemed relatively economics based) and financial accounting. The second because I have a background in Accounting and I really do want a high grade - but now I'm thinking for the 2nd either Introducing Statistics (because with Economics this would be helpful I believe) or professional communication which is meant to help with writing academically which I believe is something I would really benefit from.

So so excited!! Already researching Economics and have bought some previous books from business studies so I can have a bit of a head start.

Can't apply for student finance until May, but after that it should be all go! :)

One question I have if I take 60 credits in Oct but I can enrol on the smaller 30 credit modules from either Oct to June or April till Sept, would this affect when I start Stage 2? Or am I supposed to enroll this way anyway?

I saw something along lines if you start in Feb for the whole 120 credits you may be forced to have a year gap due to not having your exam results back in time... just something I saw in passing but as I was starting in Oct I disregarded it at the time as it didn't affect.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • haras_nednats
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    This is my first post on the MSE forum, so hello :)
    I started my degree at a 'normal' university in London, and spent one year abroad as an Erasmus student. When I got back, I had a breakdown and was really ill, so had to drop out as my uni couldn't (wouldn't?) offer me any flexibility at all.
    I transferred my credit to the OU and am now doing L313 Advanced German. I'm due to finish it in a month-and-a-half and I can't wait - it's nothing like what I wanted and I don't fee like it's worth the fees either. But at least I will get to finish my degree, just one module left after L313.
    Is there anyone else out there who hates their course? How did you get over it? I can't motivate myself at all to finish my final essay - it's nowhere near what I used to be able to do - does anyone have any tips for boosting my motivation?
    S
    Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints!
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    This is my first post on the MSE forum, so hello :)
    I started my degree at a 'normal' university in London, and spent one year abroad as an Erasmus student. When I got back, I had a breakdown and was really ill, so had to drop out as my uni couldn't (wouldn't?) offer me any flexibility at all.
    I transferred my credit to the OU and am now doing L313 Advanced German. I'm due to finish it in a month-and-a-half and I can't wait - it's nothing like what I wanted and I don't fee like it's worth the fees either. But at least I will get to finish my degree, just one module left after L313.
    Is there anyone else out there who hates their course? How did you get over it? I can't motivate myself at all to finish my final essay - it's nowhere near what I used to be able to do - does anyone have any tips for boosting my motivation?
    S

I've hated most of the courses I have been on. You just have to think about the degree at the end.
  • pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So as transitional fees are ending/ended, what is everyone else up to next?

MOOCs are great but often aren't "deep" enough and to be honest I prefer a bit of formality, proper evaluation (so I know I'm not kidding myself and rushing through too fast) and ideally accreditation. But not at £9k a year full time equivalent cost!

Happy to spend a few hundred a year on what is essentially a hobby and don't expect free (as nice as that'd be), but current fees are way out of budget! I can't imagine I'm the only one in this scenario?
  • haras_nednats
    Options
    Got my results for that module I hated and happy to say that I did well! I'm glad it's finally over. The final course for my BA starts in October and I am starting to think about the future. At the mo my plan is to have a year free of studying and then start my MA at Sussex (so I can live at home and just commute) in 2018. My next stop is looking for a thread about postgrad finances...
    Hope anyone else reading this who just got their results is happy with them! :)
  • haras_nednats
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    I've hated most of the courses I have been on. You just have to think about the degree at the end.

Yes, it's a shame though as I want to enjoy something I am investing so much time, effort and money into! Almost over though and I can start my taught MA, which I'm hoping will be much more interesting and fun :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure